Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tom Wilkie, 1st Black Watch

Ian Robertson

Stewart,

There are more to come but I'll have to scan them in and resize them so it'll probably be later tonight/ tomorrow before I can get around to it

Ian

one group is probably 'The Scouts' under training. Several of the small variety of badge on show, and what may be binocular cases, and earnest note books.

The strange contraption with funnel is a field cooker [the German equivalent was nicknamed 'the goulasch cannon!]

post-16112-1163334412.jpg

This I think is from an earlier period than the rest of the pictures. Tom enlisted sometime in 1912 and this may be from basic training around that time.

There are a couple of other photos still to post which I should be able to do later today.

Ian,

These photos are Gold Dust! Many thanks for sharing these with the forum. You can see the many forms of dress of the Regiment preceding the war and the initial stages of the war. You are a lucky man for possessing them. Sorry for repeating this, but it may be worth sending a disc of high resolution scans to Balhousie so that possibly names may be put to faces and also as a piece of Regimental provenance.

Stewart

Is that Willie Fowler with the stick at the front of the battalion when crossing the pontoon bridge?

Aye

Tom McC

This is obviously not the Black Watch and the only reason i can think that it is in the collection is that one of Tom's cousins may be in it. I'd be obliged if some kind soul could tell me what regiment it was.

post-16112-1163375326.jpg

Thanks for looking at the photos and thanks to Tom McC, Stewart and Grumpy for the information and advice.I have always cherished these photos but up until recently I didn't realise how special they are; because I grew up with them I always assumed that most households would own something similar. It's been a pleasure sharing them with people who appreciate them.As i said Tom I'll certainly contact Balhousie nad offer them copies.

Post #40 shows the 'distance judging star' on lower right cuff. This is rarely seen. As a result of lessons learned against the Boers, there were many reforms, and one was to encourage accurate judgement of range. There was an annual competition within each unit, with a small number of qualifiers. No money attached, but a lot of status.

This is a super thread, and I don't do Jocks so it has to be extra super to get my praise! A major contribution, as are the erudite addenda by pals. Between us we surely know everything!

I was going to say it was extraordinary, but the more I get to know this forum the more I realise that in some respects it's just all in a day's work. And it all started with a little question, 'what does this badge mean?' I am never ever likely to contribute much to a thread like this, but they make fascinating reading. Some threads just run into the sand, but others can lead you literally anywhere.

thanks all and cheers Martin B

This group shows the large version of the First class scout badge, and the small version of the second class. After c. 1907, the large versions only appeared on the tunic in full dress, and were eventually phased out.

post-894-1163432115.jpg