Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8 Hants (tf) 163 Brigade

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

I'd be very interested to speak with (and listen to) anyone who has an interest in the 54th (East Anglia) Division. These territorial battalions were the last reinforcements for the Suvla landings. This brigade was featured in a TV play, "All The Kings Men." Enough said.........

I am particularly interested in the Division's part in the Palestine operations - especially at Gaza.

I am more than willing to share any information I have gleaned over the years.

Princess Beatrice's Isle of Wight Rifles by D. J. Quigley provides some good reference material on the 1st/8th Hampshire Bn's movements in Egypt and Palestine.

Mention is also made in this publication of Rifleman Sid Porter nicknamed "the man the Turks couldn't kill" due to his amazing escape from death on Gallipoli. As a prisoner of war he became the camp barber and became quite famous in Newport I.O.W. for many years after the war when he set up business with his brother as a barber.

Regards

Marc

Guest Pete Wood

The story of Rfn Sid Porter is quite interesting. He received many bayonet wounds from Turkish troops, as he tried to surrender.

The Turks (eventually) appeared to admire the way that he refused to stay down (or die!) and eventually took him prisoner.

I seem to recall that he was held in captivity in Afion Kara Hissar and Belemedik, where his companions also included the submariners of the Australian AE2 and British E15.

The conditions of Turkish POW camps are well described in the book, Lost Anzacs (by Greg Kerr).

D. J. Quigley gives the impression that the Turks were trying to 'finish off' Rfn Porter as he had been left for dead on the battlefield after being seriously wounded by shrapnel. He apparently received seventeen separate wounds including bayonet wounds, shot through the back of the neck and beaten with a shovel. A remarkable (and probably very lucky) gentleman.

I have a photo of his barber shop in Newport IOW somewhere.

Regards

Marc