The Casualties of SS Alaunia 19th Oct 1916

chrisharley9

East Ham Cemetery checked but no result

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

City of London Cemetery checked but no result

Chris

• 5 years later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread but did you get any answers on the C.F. Morris grave? If not, the wonderful ToxtethParkCemeteryInscriptions.co.uk has the following information about the grave:

Three white stone tiers, missing cross. Charles Frederick MORRIS, / drowned by / the sinking of the S.S. Alaunia, / Oct. 19th 1916, aged 42. / R. I. P.

I can try and find it if you need a photograph.

Amanda

Hi Amanda

all sorted out some time ago; I have a photo thanks

MORRIS, CHARLES FREDERICK

Rank: 2nd Steward Date of Death: 19/10/1916 Age: 42 Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine S.S. "Alaunia" (Liverpool) Grave Reference C.E. Sec. 2. Grave 612. Cemetery LIVERPOOL (TOXTETH PARK) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of the late C. F. and Eliza Morris; husband of Regina Morris (nee Casey), of 56, Mulgrave St., Princes Park, Liverpool. Born at Warwick.

N.B.

The grave of 2nd Steward C F Morris was located in December 2006. Also commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial, London, his name will be removed when the panel on which it appears is next replaced.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 year later...

I am the Great Niece of Joseph William White. On the week of the anniversary of his death i wish it to be known that Uncle Joe has always been remembered and held in the hearts of each and every one of us. He is loved and was loved deeply. I was told he was a lovely boy with beautiful curls and a smile for everyone. When news came that he had been killed my Great Grandmother never recovered from the shock of losing her beloved baby boy and was said to have never been the same again. My Grandfather & My Mother, then only a small child went with my Great Grandfather to identify him. Although because he was washed up after being blown up I am not sure how it would have been dealt with. However Please Please note that he is on the Tower Hill Memorial. That is his memorial and now Heaven is his bed. Let my uncle rest, remember him with kindness and know that he is very much loved. God Bless Uncle Joe xxx

• 2 years later...
Guest glynn hewitson
On 21/02/2013 at 09:03, chrisharley9 said:

Hi Amanda

all sorted out some time ago; I have a photo thanks

MORRIS, CHARLES FREDERICK

Rank: 2nd Steward Date of Death: 19/10/1916 Age: 42 Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine S.S. "Alaunia" (Liverpool) Grave Reference C.E. Sec. 2. Grave 612. Cemetery LIVERPOOL (TOXTETH PARK) CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of the late C. F. and Eliza Morris; husband of Regina Morris (nee Casey), of 56, Mulgrave St., Princes Park, Liverpool. Born at Warwick.

N.B.

The grave of 2nd Steward C F Morris was located in December 2006. Also commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial, London, his name will be removed when the panel on which it appears is next replaced.

Cheers

Chris

Guest glynn hewitson

Hi Chris,

My Grandfather Alfred Joseph Hewitson was a steward on the Alaunia and attended the funeral in Liverpool at Toxteth Cemetery of C.F.Morris with a couple of other crewmates.

I did have a newspaper record of the event which i cannot find, i seem to remember it was the Liverpool Daily Post.

Hello Glynn,

Many thanks for the added information. I will try to locate the newspaper article.

Chris