Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Casualties of SS Alaunia 19th Oct 1916

chrisharley9

If you look at what follows I believe that there is strong evidence to show that both of these lads are buried somewhere in the UK; only 2 crew members of this ship died when this ship was sunk & both were washed ashore in Sussex

Name: WHITE, JOSEPH WILLIAM

Initials: J W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: S.S. "Alaunia" (Liverpool)

Date of Death: 19/10/1916

Additional information: Son of John and Mary White, of 50, May's Cottages, Burke St., Canning Town, London. Born at West Ham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Reference: COR/1/3/392

Creation dates: 27 Oct 1916

UNKNOWN

Scope and Content

male, found on beach at Pevensey Bay, apparently a vessel's fireman, about 18; drowned following explosion on SS Alaunia, no evidence as to cause of explosion

Name: MORRIS, CHARLES FREDERICK

Initials: C F

Additional information: Son of the late C. F. and Eliza Morris; husband of Regina Morris (nee Casey), of 56, Mulgrave St., Princes Park, Liverpool. Born at Warwick.

Reference: COR/1/3/390

Creation dates: 26 Oct 1916

MORRIS

Scope and Content

Charles Frederick, 56 Mowbrey Street, Liverpool, ship's steward, 43; washed ashore near Wish Tower, Eastbourne; injuries probably caused by explosion when SS Alaunia hit mine

Steward Morris may be buried somewhere in the Liverpool area - does any one know how to search that citys burial records

As Trimmer White was the other casualty from the Alaunia his must be the unidentified body washed ashore at Pevensey - probably buried as an unknown merchant seaman somewhere - now the proof is here from the Sussex Records Office - the Coroner has confirmed that the unknown merchant seaman was from the Alaunia. How can the CWGC records be checked to come up with any possible matches - strange that the Coroner did not come with a possible ID due to the very small casualty list from this ship

Any comments/advice would be appreciated

Chris

I'll check the 'Unknowns' in Sussex for you.

However, how will you know which of these men is any particular 'Unknown'? You will have to prove that one of these men is in any particular grave before any changes can be made.

There is only one Unknown WW1 Mercantile Marine man buried in Sussex and he is known to be from SS Tycho. He is buried in Rottingdean along with a named casualty from the same ship.

It is possible that an unknown seaman would have been buried in a common grave somewhere and the Board of Trade or anybody else failed to inform CWGC.

Chris

Liverpool City Council's Cemeteries Department can be contacted on 0151 233 3004. I've dealt with them on a few occasions and always found them to be helpful and informative.

They should be able to tell you if the burial records are accessible and searchable.

Terry & Stephen

Will be cracking on with this one as time allows & will be in touch - thanks for the advice

Chris

There is only one Unknown WW1 Mercantile Marine man buried in Sussex and he is known to be from SS Tycho. He is buried in Rottingdean along with a named casualty from the same ship.

It is possible that an unknown seaman would have been buried in a common grave somewhere and the Board of Trade or anybody else failed to inform CWGC.

Terry

What is the possible burial site taking it that the body was washed ashore at Pevensey Bay?

Chris

Chris

Liverpool City Council's Cemeteries Department can be contacted on 0151 233 3004. I've dealt with them on a few occasions and always found them to be helpful and informative.

They should be able to tell you if the burial records are accessible and searchable.

Stephen

spoke to them today - unfortunatley they want £10 per cemetery search which as they pointed out will mean every cemetery in their jurisdiction as I cant give them a speciific location - sadly I will have to let this one drop as my finances dont stretch to that sort of money

Chris

Chris

If the family lived at Mulgrave Street in Princes Park (as stated on CWGC) and brought him home to be buried, then in all likelihood he would be in Toxteth Cemetery as this is the nearest to their address. (Princes Park neighbours Toxteth). If not there, then Allerton cemetery is the next nearest. These two cover the south of the city, the remaining four cover the north.

I don’t recognise “Mowbrey Street” as you have mentioned in your other data source.

Stephen

Thanks for the tip - will follow up on it tomorrow

Chris

Stephen

Cheers mate they now doing a search for me

chris

Chris

Let us know how this pans out. Always useful to know how a service operates and whether it's value for money.

Cheers

We might have found him - received a telephone message from Liverpool City Council on Weds

They have the record of a GF Morris age 42 buried 30 Oct 1916 in Toxteth Cemetery CE Sect 2 grave 612

They turned my enquiry around in 24 hours; I was impressed to say the least & no charge for that part

Now if some kind soul could visit the cemetery for me please & get a photo that should show if we have got the right bloke or not

Now if it is the right bloke what further info will I need for the CWGC

All The Best

Chris

The Liverpool Burial Records are contactable on 0151 233 5817 for anybody that needs to know

You will need to prove that both men are the same person and not simply two men with the same name.

At the moment you don't have even that as the man in the grave is GF Morris and the man you are looking for is CF Morris - or is that a typo?

I don’t recognise “Mowbrey Street” as you have mentioned in your other data source.

Stephen

the Mowbrey St comes from the Coroner Records reference - can't be more exact that that as I have not seen the original records

Chris

You will need to prove that both men are the same person and not simply two men with the same name.

At the moment you don't have even that as the man in the grave is GF Morris and the man you are looking for is CF Morris - or is that a typo?

Terry

that is the only Morris they have in Toxteth Cemetery for that period; the GF is not a typo on my behalf, but as the lady at the council said it could be their typo - Im hoping a view of the grave will show that is the right bloke with hopefully some of his details on the gravestone - I assume that I will need a copy of the burial register if this is the right Morris

Chris

You still have not proven that this is the same man - just somebody from the same city with (possibly) the same initials.

You could start with his death certificate which has Ref No 2.b.101 from the Eastbourne Registration District.

If this mentions the same NoK as is listed by CWGC, you know that CF Morris is not missing but is buried in the UK. Then if you can get any details (NoK name & address) from the Liverpool Burial Records, you can see if they match.

If they do, you are there.

Thanks for the DC ref Terry - Will follow up on that ASAP

Chirs

Email from the Liverpool Records Office today confirms the grave location Section 2 grave 612 - the owner of the grave is Regina Morris

They are sending me a copy of the relevant page of the order book & a copy of his obituary

Bit of a result I think - will post up more when I get the docs in snail mail

Chris

Courtesy of Liverpool City Council

The burial register shows the NOK as CWGC likewise the death notice - Terry would you like me to e mail you the relevant docs - the typo GF is confirmed from the burial register as George was originally inserted, but altered to Charles

A result methinks

Chris

• 1 month later...

Terry

any news with this one please

Chris

• 1 month later...

Click Here for the latest news on this matter

If you look at what follows I believe that there is strong evidence to show that both of these lads are buried somewhere in the UK; only 2 crew members of this ship died when this ship was sunk & both were washed ashore in Sussex

Name: WHITE, JOSEPH WILLIAM

Initials: J W

Additional information: Son of John and Mary White, of 50, May's Cottages, Burke St., Canning Town, London. Born at West Ham.

Reference: COR/1/3/392

Creation dates: 27 Oct 1916

UNKNOWN

Scope and Content

male, found on beach at Pevensey Bay, apparently a vessel's fireman, about 18; drowned following explosion on SS Alaunia, no evidence as to cause of explosion

I received confirmation today from the E Sussex Records Office that the contents of this Coroners Report confirm that this indeed is indeed Joseph White & he is not buried at Pevensey; they believe his body was returned home for burial - anyone got any ideas what cemetery would serve Canning Town

Chris