Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most Boring/disliked WW1 Book

PBI

Interesting view. For my part, I found Sulzbach's book to be like many other anecdotal accounts. As you say, much of it relates to the experience of all infantry and artillery - occasional experiences of action, mostly the day-to-day experiences of being in and out of the 'line'. Typically there is more emphasis on the latter, because the routine of soldiering was just that.

But, like many other accounts, there are some real gems in Sulzbach's book. For example, he describes when German artillery units first became armed with light machine guns, when anti-tank guns began being told off from field artillery batteries, the experience of being in Bruchmüller's artillery performances for the German Spring offensives, the shattering effect of the failure of attack either side of Reims in mid-1918, and the constant pressure exerted by the Entente forces in the last 100 Days.

For these gems alone, the book is fabulous. Highly recommended.

I have just received a copy of 'Massacre of the Innocents: The Crofton Diaries, Ypres 1914-1915'. A quick scan reveals it will be just like Sulzbach's book - lots of material that must be sifted. The diary content was written by a cavalry officer, and I know that there will be gems scattered throughout. But you have to look for them, and not be lulled into missing them by virtue of the other content.

Robert

I found that I really could NOT concentrate on Sulzbachs Book Robert..it just Didnt "Grab Me" if you know what i mean ?..some Books are un put Downable,i afraid for me the Sulzbach Book certainly was,and i had to on Numerous Occasions.I am about to start on Soldier,Poet,Rebel..The Life of Charles Hudson V.C....regards Russ...Enjoy Your Read.. :)

Same goes for pretty well all of the Great War-related fiction I've read, although I may have enjoyed it while reading it at the time.

Surely not Mottram's Spanish Farm?

I did Read Spanish Farm Once.....I tried to like it,I really did,It still Languishes very Neglected and Very unwanted somewhere in the Nether Regions of one of my Bookcases...One Mans Meat and all that,etc,etc.

There is a book called "The Fighting Mascot-The true story of a boy soldier"- supposedly the story of Thomas Joseph Kehoe 203144 5th Kings Liverpool Regt.

The copy I have was presented as a prize at Christmas 1919.

Kehoe was supposedly only 16 at the time of his "first battle".

I even have a picture of Kehoe-posted below.

Although it is acknowledged that the book was written by a "writting man" who`s name was E.L.Bacon and includes a drawing of "The Kings of England shaking hands with me" it does just not ring true, and appears more of a work of fiction than the true story it purports to be.

I wonder if anyone else had read it, I would appreciate their comments.

P.B.

post-63-1194165680.jpg

Hi 'PB',

I've not read the book, but do you think that a 'mascot' is all that Kehoe was? I've just had a look at NA-MIC and there's no record of Thomas Kehoe [203144] serving with the regiment abroad. Does the book mention any of the battles Kehoe was meant to be involved in?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave,

Promenade did a check for me some time ago and could find no mention of Kehoe on his database.

There is little reference in the book to the names of places or specific actions and other soldiers are refered to by their nicknames.The whole book is rather vaque to say the least.

I wonder about the picture,it was for sale on E bay some time ago,but as you say there appears to be no official record of this man

Peter

Taking a Close look at the Photo,He has NO Cap Badge or Collar Dogs,or Shoulder Titles.Nothing to Associate Him with any Regiment or Particular Arm of the Military.

Taking a Close look at the Photo,He has NO Cap Badge or Collar Dogs,or Shoulder Titles.Nothing to Associate Him with any Regiment or Particular Arm of the Military.

Curious and curiouser... the soldier in question is also wearing a Canadian made 7 button tunic :ph34r: , see:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/tunics/ceft01.htm

• 3 weeks later...
Mosier's book has a place of honor in my humble GW library :P

I couldn't help notice Heinz von Lichem's triptych on your shelf. I've toyed with buying it but never actually seen a copy in the shops. Is it a textbook, battlefield guide, narrative history? None of the reviews I found on the web actually spell it out!

I am new to this forum, and after having a scoot about threads, I am most displeased with the "hoohah" and "hooray" and childish behaviour amongst forum members. Yes, authors have inaccuracies, but to delibitate about their writing skills, their account of atrocities and for you to criticise their writing and basically have a banjo laughing it off does not constitute "following the trail". Yes, there are "inaccurate" books about but pulling the author to a pulp don't solve it. Stop whinging and walk the ground :rolleyes: n

I couldn't help notice Heinz von Lichem's triptych on your shelf. I've toyed with buying it but never actually seen a copy in the shops. Is it a textbook, battlefield guide, narrative history? None of the reviews I found on the web actually spell it out!

There is usually an auction active at all times on e.bay about Lichems books.

I love the books as they are the must prerequisite for an Alpini battlefield tourist. I found the following on www.worldwar1.com :

The three-volume history Gebirgskrieg by Heinz von Lichem is perhaps the essential study of World War One in the Alps. From the soaring northwestern frontier to the traumatic Isonzo Front, this book documents all aspects of the war. Although I am slow in German von Lichem's use of battle dispatches, oral histories, art and statistics are all worth the effort. The emphasis is Austro-Hungarian, but well done and complete.

I found that I really could NOT concentrate on Sulzbachs Book Robert..it just Didnt "Grab Me" if you know what i mean ?..some Books are un put Downable,i afraid for me the Sulzbach Book certainly was,and i had to on Numerous Occasions.I am about to start on Soldier,Poet,Rebel..The Life of Charles Hudson V.C....regards Russ...Enjoy Your Read.. :)

An interesting comment. I must admit there are books I have tried a couple of times to engage with to no avail, only to come to them with a different frame of mind and think what went wrong at the first attempt or second attempt. Likewise there are those that I have admired first time round, but been sorely disappointed with at the second attempt.

• 2 weeks later...

1 More for the List of Boring or uninteresting Books that simply left Me Cold and/or indifferent.I expect this Books Inclusion will Ruffle a Few Feathers,so its off to the Nearest Dug Out for Me to Dodge the Incoming Strafe.

To The Last Ridge - By W.H.Downing..... :blink:

post-7805-1197048286.jpg...Harry Being Temperate... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
There is usually an auction active at all times on e.bay about Lichems books.

I love the books as they are the must prerequisite for an Alpini battlefield tourist. I found the following on www.worldwar1.com :

The three-volume history Gebirgskrieg by Heinz von Lichem is perhaps the essential study of World War One in the Alps. From the soaring northwestern frontier to the traumatic Isonzo Front, this book documents all aspects of the war. Although I am slow in German von Lichem's use of battle dispatches, oral histories, art and statistics are all worth the effort. The emphasis is Austro-Hungarian, but well done and complete.

Thanks for the heads-up. Someone moved the post and I couldn't find it! I think I may well invest.

Good old Harry, God Bless him.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved Richard Holmes' 'Tommy', thought it was a cracking read! Didn't want it to end.

As for Ben Eltons 'The first casualty', I did finish and it wasn't boring, which is more than can be said for a lot of books. However it was chock-a-block with cliches, and some of them were so cringe-making I could hardly believe you were meant to take it seriously. One scene which sticks in my mind was the protagonist earnestly leading his men in a rendition of 'Tipperary' while lying in a shell-crater in no-mans-land during a bombardment...

I just finished reading 'The First Hundred Thousand' by Ian Hay, which I didn't find all that enjoyable and a bit patronising in places, what with all the 'Hey, actually these working class fellows are really rather decent chaps and quite capable of doing some work!'

Couldn't get into Vera Brittain at all..

I loved 'The First Hundred Thousand.' I still laugh at the officers trainig the troops in observation for the artillery. I thought he had a real feeling for the men - the account of the soldier who was really too frail for the front but really worked at it was moving.

I liked Hay as well. There is a sequel which I hope to see at a reasonable price some day. To get back on topic, a book I read over Xmas and was disappointed with, was N.M. Greenfield's " Baptism of Fire". It was highly recommended in the review forum so it is obviously a personal reaction on my part. I read it alongside J. Dixon's " Magnificent but not War" which I preferred. They both deal with IIYpres.

Yes maybe I am being a bit harsh on Mr Hay. By the way I've noticed the full text of 'The First Hundred Thousand' is available on google books, so the sequel may also be there.