Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Movies

dosborne

I recall watching the "Blue Max" a few (actually many years ago) and was absolutely fasicnated by it -- Could anybody suggest any other similar movies + ideas on where to source the DVD's eg Amazon

Regards

Dave

A few titles come to mind... Maybe the war in the air is one of the most popular subjects in WW1-related films:

"Aces High", "the Red Baron", "Wings", "the Dawn patrol", "Zeppelin"...

Gloria

Your Local HMV Store should have it in Stock.Amazon have the Blue Max in stock for £4.73,and Aces High for a Whopping £3.73....... :D

Although the plot centers around the "barnstormers" of post war america, check out "The Great Waldo Pepper" starring Robert Redford. Fantastic flying scenes with world war 1 aircraft and a great plot. A "must see" classic for any flying enthusiast

Fitzee

Another excellent movie is "Hell's Angels", it has some excellent aerial combat scenes for the time it was made. Its readily available on internet auctions on DVD.

Mike.

All very entertaining movies, I've seen most of them and would see them again, but take them with a pinch of salt as history.

For instance, both Dawn Patrol and Zeppelin are set in 1915 but show tactics more appropriate to 1917 - e.g the Zeppelin is attacked by SE5a's that weren't introduced till 1917. And in Dawn Patrol, although in real life RFC did a lot of drinking, their life expectancy would have been even less if they drank quite as much as David Niven and Errol Flynn. And there is no way Flynn could have wrought so much destruction with the bombs able to be carried by a single-seater in the last reel.

But I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm - I hope you are able to find them.

I wonder if "Flyboys" will be any more accurate? - still no sign of it in the UK.

Adrian

'All quiet on the Western Front' is a classic and I really liked 'The Lost Battalion'.

The worst has got to be 'Deathwatch' - awful!

Liam

I watched "All quiet on the western front" last nite for the first time(1930). I thought the main battle scene was terrific and I was impressed especially for how old the film is. I excused the artillery sounds. :D

My question is if anyone can give their opinions, is the later version of this film any good compared to the original?

Hi All

Thanks for all the replies (I managed to source a copy of "Blue Max" -- although it will take 3 weeks to get down to the Southern tip of Africa :(

I remember that my fascination with the Blue Max stemmed from the fact that it told the other side of the story (ie Germany's) -- Any of the movies mentioned carry a similar theme ?

The comments made about the movie "Hells Angels" has definately pricked my interest and I will try and source it.

Thanks for all the advice though.

A German film about the Red Baron is due for release next year. I can't imagine that they'd have gone to the expense of employing Joseph Fiennes to play Roy Brown unless they intended an international release.

Der Rote Baron

Have any Pals seen the French WW1 Film JOYEUX NOEL..i was going to buy it,but the Blurb on the back of the Box,has put me off....HELP !!!.is it worth my hard earned £9.00....?????

Can any one tell me the name of the French anti-war film of about 1930. It was set in a POW camp and I think the cnetral French character was eventually shot escaping.

Can any one tell me the name of the French anti-war film of about 1930. It was set in a POW camp and I think the cnetral French character was eventually shot escaping.

I can answer my own question on tjis. the film I was trying to think of is J'Accuse. Does anyone know if this classic is available on dvd and where I can buy a copy?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks - the $49.99 price tag has dampend my need to watch it again!!

And i've just realised this is a different film with the same name, the one I am thinking is about a French POW.

Thanks for looking all the same.

Grand Illusion directored by Renoir is the one you're after.

J'Accuse is the one where the film-maker used French soldiers who were filmed raising up from their graves in battlefield cemetries to accuse the living about their deaths. Very poignant as many of the soldiers later died in battle.

Kate

Grand Illusion directored by Renoir is the one you're after.

J'Accuse is the one where the film-maker used French soldiers who were filmed raising up from their graves in battlefield cemetries to accuse the living about their deaths. Very poignant as many of the soldiers later died in battle.

Kate

Just realised the J'Accuse on the Amazon link given above is not the same as the one I've mentioned above. The J'Acuse I'm talking about was filmed in the last year (few years?) of the Great War. I've never managed to find a dvd of it in its entirity but the 1914-1918 dvd series narrated by Judi Dench has a large snippet on it

Kate

Has anyone got a copy of this Film on DVD,as like John i dont want to Spend Big Bucks,also i dont really fancy ordering from the US as my last DVD took 7 weeks to arrive. :blink:

Just realised the J'Accuse on the Amazon link given above is not the same as the one I've mentioned above. The J'Acuse I'm talking about was filmed in the last year (few years?) of the Great War. I've never managed to find a dvd of it in its entirity but the 1914-1918 dvd series narrated by Judi Dench has a large snippet on it

Kate

Kate - many thanks. Yes it suddenly dawned on me after I logged off last night that I needed to dig out my old uni books as something wasnt adding up. It is Le Grand Illusion that I was recallaing and which I would like to see again. The original J'Accuse was filmed in 1919 - it would be great to see that again too.

Thanks again.

It's 16.99 euros on Amazon France, which works out at 11.50 pounds, but spose you'd have to pay postage, and you wouldn't get subtitles.

It's still shown at least twice a year on various French tv channels.

Unfind any trace of J'accuse, though.

cheers Martin B

• 2 weeks later...
Have any Pals seen the French WW1 Film JOYEUX NOEL..i was going to buy it,but the Blurb on the back of the Box,has put me off....HELP !!!.is it worth my hard earned £9.00....?????

Hi PBI

I watched Joyeux Noel last night and I enjoyed it, there wasn't much for battle scenes but I think it's definately worth a watch even if you just rent it

Rich

I bought Joyeux Noel at my local Sainsbury's superstore (UK) this afternoon for £7.00. They also have the 1-disk edition of A Very Long Engagement for £4.99. Perhaps not in all, especially smaller, branches, though.