Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One Mans Great War in a box!

StevieB

As others have mentioned, this is fascinating stuff.

Thank You for sharing this with others and yes I agree a book would become a best seller from this find.

Tracey

One of Ranson's diaries, plus a little booklet, the likes of which I'm not sure would go down too well in this day and age. Makes an interesting read though!

post-1105-1162821875.jpg

Christmas card made from photographing the original and then printing it out on photographic paper - much cheaper and easier than printing, especially to an RAF squadron involved in photographic reconnaisance. From Baghdad, Mesopotamia, Christmas 1920.

post-1105-1162990799.jpg

Various photos of the middle east, including some nice shots of Armoured Cars.

The photo top centre has written on the back "Evacuation of wounded Cpl. Pilot Capt. Dempsey, Obs. Lt (illegible)" - interesting to think where they were going to strap him to!

In case the print is too small, the photo top left has the caption "Self in the sea at Salonika on AW3597 04 June 1918 caused by engine (160 HP Beadmore) cutting out" - a fairly bland statement about what must have been an hair-raising experience.

post-1105-1163061044.jpg

Just about the last photo of any military interest - there are quite a few more of family etc, but I imagine you are bored enough already! :P

This is a photo of Ranson's funeral cortege. Interesting to note on the back it names the 2 officers following the coffin. Major McRae RAF, and Major G H Ranson RE TD (his brother). Following on from Stebie9173's post that he retired a Captain, not sure if his rank is correct.

Another snippet of info in a couple of newspaper clippings that accompany the group, is that H E Ranson is buried in uniform, with his sword and medals. Basically what is in the trunk is all there is, there aren't any medals out there to try and track down.

If anybody wants any close ups, or better shots of previous photos please let me know and I'll do my best.

I have gone through his diary of his time in the London Scottish. I'll post a few of the more pertinent entries for those interested when I get chance.

post-1105-1163497253.jpg

but I imagine you are bored enough already! :P

Oh no we're not!

• 1 year later...

WOW! that is a nice collection you have there. i have sent you a private message, as my 3rd grt uncle would have served in the 18th DLI at the same time.

amy

• 4 years later...

I know that this posting has been quiet for some time, but I have a signed photo of Hubert E Ranson and in my search to find out more about him, it led me here! Hubert in 1911 was boarding with my great grandparents and my grandfather, in Lewisham. My grandfather Frederick Fuller was 15 and Hubert 17, they worked together at the Electricity Board. Hubert was at my grandparents wedding in the June of 1922 and was more than likely their best man.

The photo I have is one that is in the album that SteveB has already displayed, so nothing new for this forum, it's the one of him in his plane with the seat belt hanging down! The extra information is that he signed it with his name and Egypt 1917.

So all this information has been of great interest. I will share this with my mother now 86years who has the wedding gift he gave my grandparents. There is one photo that interests me taken in a garden, Hubert is sitting at a table with a lady with a white hat!

My grandfather mentioned above was a private in the RAMC.

So thank you Steve for sharing this! This sort of connection brings history alive!

Bronwen

Four years or so on this forum and to my shame have never noticed this thread. Wonderful stuff, his whole military life encompassed in a box.

Thanks for taking the time to put it up.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering whether you ever go to Toxteth Park Cemetery? The inscription from the family headstone reads

P 18 RANSON. (C.4.399)

Large upright sand-stone, arched top. In / ever / loving memory / of / George Arthur RANSON, / who died 7th November 1900, / aged 42 years. / *When thou passeth through the / waters I will be with thee.* / Also Innes Munro Mortimer, / youngest child of the above, / who died 10th May 1901, / aged 2 years. / Also Hubert Everitt RANSON, / Flying Officer Royal Air Force / third son of the above, / killed whilst flying 9th October 1922, / aged 28 years. / *Steel true, blade straight.* / Also Kate, widow of / George Arthur RANSON, / who died 7th March 1946, / aged 84 years.

Information from www.toxtethparkcemeteryinscriptions.co.uk

If you'd like me to check if it's still there let me know.

Amanda

Just realised that the originator of this thread hasn't been here for a while but if anyone else is following up the story the offer's still there :)

• 2 years later...

StevieB Great thread. I have just obtained some trench art which I believe was presented to 2nd Lieutenant Ranson when he was with the 18th DLI. If you get this post could you please contact me as I am very interested to know the contents of

Ranson's diary when he was with the DLI. Many thanks Howard

• 4 weeks later...

Fascinating and fantastic slice of history. Thanks for posting

Just read the whole thread. Fascinating.

• 2 years later...

I know this posting was from 2006, and you may well not be active on this forum, but I have recently been actively looking at my grandfathers time in the RAMC during WW1,  he too was in the Middle East, but he knew Hubert from before. In 1911 Hubert lodged with my grandfather and my great grandparents in Lewisham, at 87 Brightside Road, they worked for the London Electricity Board. Hubert was two years older than my grandfather. Just thought I would add this information and wondered if perhaps there was any reference to my grandfather in his papers? I guess that there was possibly another crossover if Hubert was wounded in 1916?  Hubert also acknowledged my grandfathers marriage and I remember my mother saying that he sadly died not long after in 1922. 

My grandfather, Frederick Bruce Fuller was in the RAMC  2/6th LFA 60th (2/2nd) London Division.

Little connections such as this brings family history alive. Thank you for sharing the contents of this interesting box. 

Bronwen Woods

Edited by Bronwen

Wonderful thread and it shows that there are still undiscovered gems out there.

Many thanks.