Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One Mans Great War in a box!

StevieB

Thanks Jon,

When I got the trunk home and started looking through it in detail, it was then that I realised how it encompassed one mans service life.

The photo albums alone contain some great details. I've only just started going through the diaries.

post-1105-1162288035.jpg

I presume this is Ranson's grave. He is buried at Toxteth Cemetry, so at some point I'll be making a trip over the border to pay tribute.

post-1105-1162288255.jpg

The next few are of what I now know is his brother (thanks to Steve for his info on Newton Ranson), RGA.

More of Newton Ranson:

Last page in the album. More of his grave.

post-1105-1162288673.jpg

post-1105-1162288722.jpg

post-1105-1162288773.jpg

A couple of divisional flashes. The first one I know - 42nd East Lancs. I haven't had chance to look up the the stripes yet.

post-1105-1162294433.jpg

Extracts from his diaries when with the London Scottish. I am currently going through these. I'll try write up the details (or at least a summary) as soon as I can.

post-1105-1162294748.jpg

Ranson's diary and notebook whilst he was an Officer in the DLI. This is crammed full of info, from sketches how to build trenches, Orders of the Day, defaulters lists & punishment. I've only skimmed through this so far as I think it will be an epic in it's own right!

post-1105-1162295304.jpg

Ranson's RFC training card, detailing all the skills and courses that he had to complete to qualify as a pilot.

post-1105-1162295440.jpg

From my personal interest, one (or is that two) gem of the group are his log books, beautifully leather bound with his name engraved on the front. The first is complete from the first page to last. The second not many entries, the last being 6 days before he died.

To do this justice I'll need to spend a long time extracting information, but even a quick glance through it makes interesting reading - just the shear number of planes that he flew during his short career is interesting enough (see my previous post).

I'll try and post any interesting entries as I find them.

post-1105-1162295805.jpg

Cracking photo of Ranson and fellow squadron members. They are all named on the back, but again I haven't had time to go do any background searches yet. The sheer diversity of the uniforms is what attracts me to this period and theatre of RFC/RAF operations, not one of them is wearing the same uniform!

post-1105-1162296296.jpg

To keep the juices flowing, Ranson's theatre made RFC wings (sadly a bit mothed). And if that wasn't enough, his very rare pair of gold bullion patrol jacket dress wings, in great condition. When or where he would have worn these in the Middle East or India I have no idea.

I've had a couple of dealers/collectors look at them and we all think they are 100% spot on. Not a "plant"!

post-1105-1162296610.jpg

post-1105-1162296629.jpg

post-1105-1162296645.jpg

Stevie - there are probably several hundred Forum members thinking the same thing - "You lucky bu**er".

Please make sure you lodge copies of the London Scots stuff with RHQ!

Jeez......... :rolleyes:

Stevie - you lucky so-and-so!! I'll offer £2.99 for the lot right now!

A word of caution - don't go dusting your passport down in order to visit Toxteth Cemetery before you check whether the grave is still there. I went a few years ago to find the grave of my great grandfather - had the grave number and everything - it was gorn! Like many graveyards of this vintage they had removed the stones and 'landscaped' it. Can't have the druggies tripping over broken tombstones. What would Health & Safety say??

Ian

Can't have the druggies tripping over broken tombstones. What would Health & Safety say??

Ian

:lol::lol:

Cynic...it's done in the interests of 'Civic Amenity'.

Stevie - you lucky so-and-so!! I'll offer £2.99 for the lot right now!

A word of caution - don't go dusting your passport down in order to visit Toxteth Cemetery before you check whether the grave is still there. I went a few years ago to find the grave of my great grandfather - had the grave number and everything - it was gorn! Like many graveyards of this vintage they had removed the stones and 'landscaped' it. Can't have the druggies tripping over broken tombstones. What would Health & Safety say??

Ian

Thanks for the tip about the cemetery. It does look like a large grave, maybe a family plot? Hopefully too large to be moved - or is that just me being optimistic?

Another photo for your interest. A large copy of the Sphinx photo seen in the album. I think this is my favourite photo out of the group - very British Empire!

post-1105-1162368780.jpg