Remembered Today:

Mines at Messines

Matt Dixon

I just want to add the results of Sir Herbert Plumer's mines that day:

The 19 detonated mines were sited as follows:

Name of Mine Charge (lbs) Crater Diameter

Hill 60 A 53 500 191 feet

Hill 60 B 70 000 260 feet

A couple of things to point out: as not all explosives are equal in effect, and as they were never translated officially into equivalent amounts of well-tamped black gunpowder [the official standard], comparing amounts of explosive is a tricky business.

In the equations, the main variables are:

amount of black powder or equivalent used [some 1418 explosives many times stronger than powder]

a geological factor [eg a bigger hole in sand than clay, which was bigger than in rock, etc]

the depth of the mine chamber.

Working backwards from desired tactical result [ie how big and deep did you want it] to calculating amount of bang mixture was tricky, even less an exact science than Meteorology, which could explain why I am fascinated by it. Of course, depth of chamber and the geological factor was more-or-less fixed by the tactical situation. An ideal mine 2 miles from where it was wanted was hardly an asset.

Nothing really special to add ... but thought another picture might be nice:

EV01_D10_064_Ypres_-_Hill_60_1917_-_Pond

I wish I could have seen the one described above without water. Time and nature destroy the ferocity that must have been there that day. The Crater at Petersburg was big enough to fight a battle ... or part of one within it.

Remember the scene in Frederick March's old movie Victory where the guys in the trench can all hear the work under them? ... For my presentation on WWI I have pulled some diagrams off the BBC site and show some of my pictures of Hill 60 ... but, today, I guess in comparison with the digital affects in movies and all, it seems so small ...

Nothing really special to add ... but thought another picture might be nice:

I feel a Caption Competition coming on.

For starters, how about [shades of Goon Show]

"He's fallen in the water!"

• 4 months later...

I am curius as to whether or not there are any survivor accounts from the poor folks on the receiving end or in the close vicinity that can be easily referenced. I am new to this board but have perused it frequently.

Thanks.