Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marquis De Ruvigny

stiletto_33853

Some time ago now, Tom (Museumtom) floated the idea of putting the entries of this Roll onto a database for forum use. I think that the idea was a good one and yet there seems to have been a lack or response to the idea.

Maybe now could be a good time to re-float the idea with the many many new members that we have??

and to further that idea I have started putting volume 5 on a database. Why volume 5, well I was not sure how far Tom had got with his own database and there are some very interesting entries in this volume and a lot covering the deaths of servicemen who died just after the war from the influenza epidemic or from wounds received later in the war.

This does require a huge amount of work and so I think it would be good to put this to the forum and see if we manage get any positive response this time around.

The database that I have started covers, Surname, Forenames, Number, Rank, Awards, Unit (died with as many entries have a few units) & Date of Death. The original suggestion was, I believe, for just a name.

Andy

I was having same thought this morning whilst looking through De Ruvigny's for an R.F. officer (Not found).

How long is it taking in general for a page, Andy?

It is interesting just how many ORs are in there...

Steve.

I had started with just the names of the first volume. No rank or other information. It was actually my Daughter who was given the task and guess what? she lost interest after a few pages.

Its way too big for me unless I was in prison and then it would be a great way of passing time. The idea of typing out information from the five volumes is great in theory but who is going to volunteer to do so? and when it is done then what? is it put online as a database? would it be free? could anyone download it? The original effort by my daughter is in the original thread and pals are welcome to use it in any way they chose but I cannot see it being taken further from this end anyway.

Regards.

Tom

Steve & Tom,

It would be a long job and a lot of laborious data entry but how long do we people spend looking through De Ruvigny's on the off chance of an entry??, not to mention the wear and tear on the books continually using them.

Tom, see you point, maybe something to talk to Chris about with the new server and space.

Re the time, it varies greatly on how many entries have pictures, to date I have managed some 800 entries or some 65 pages of the 174 of Volume 5, the smallest volume.

The time scale for any sort of completion would have to depend on the response from the forum and how many people are actually prepared to put some input into it.

Be good to hear of some ideas being batted around.

Andy

Jon,

Thank you, lets see if we can finally get this thing going.

Andy

I understood, when I spoke to somebody at The Naval and Military Press earlier this year, that a revised version of De Ruvigny's, with index, was going to be published later this year.

Thanks Paul,

Could save a lot of data crunching.

Andy

I understood, when I spoke to somebody at The Naval and Military Press earlier this year, that a revised version of De Ruvigny's, with index, was going to be published later this year.

Any idea on the scope of the index?

I hope they will be selling this as a stand alone item so their existing customers are not penalised.

problem doing it youself, is the time. Cost isnt really a factor unless its like the medal rolls. The rolls have to be done in office hours so someone has to pay, this then sparks the debate of publishing at high price (SDGW) against web paging and people subscribing (NA).

we could do them between ourselves but would be waiting for someone or then would there be the agument about who could access it...

It will be interesting to see if N&M do this index as a seperate entity, lets hope so.

Could not agree more Chaz, time is the constraint in producing it ourselves. Did not envisage an arguement over the access though, as for my part, I was prepared to place the database in the forum's hands.

Andy

Use this search engine - from what I have been told the Roll of Honour is a prime source of info

Be warned - Ive never had a reply to any emails Ive sent...

www.ww1photos.com/OnlineSearch.html

Hi Ian,

Also never had a reply.

Andy

still handy the web site works though

Any idea on the scope of the index?

I hope they will be selling this as a stand alone item so their existing customers are not penalised.

I'm not sure on either of these points Jon but I deferred buying the exisiting volumes in order to wait for the version with index. I personally would have thought that it would have been a good opportunity to re-publish De Ruvigny on CD.

I'm not sure on either of these points Jon but I deferred buying the exisiting volumes in order to wait for the version with index. I personally would have thought that it would have been a good opportunity to re-publish De Ruvigny on CD.

CD is a possibility but its also a coffee table book in that it is nice to pick up and flick through and get lost for an hour.

CD is a possibility but its also a coffee table book in that it is nice to pick up and flick through and get lost for an hour.

That is some hefty coffee table you have there! :lol:

I have a copy of Murphys somewhere but to be honest have never rated it very highly, are there many references to D-R in there? I might dig around for it.

Mick

I know what you mean - sometimes its nice to just pick up a book and read

Hi Andy, :)

I too am waiting for an indexed version before I buy. Once I have it, I would be happy to help.

I have tried all ways to contact the before mentioned site for photo's and have never had a reply either !! :(

Cheers

Tim.

I emailed N&MP about their proposed reprint today. Iasked if it was worth me waiting for the new version before buying it. I received the following reply:

"We will in the future be releasing an index volume. This will be available separately."

Seconded, Mr Grumpy, Sir.

Steve.

I've never seen an original copy...are the pictures better?

Mick

I have both and the pictures are better than the reprint. However I only have two of the originals, where there more than two?

regards.

Tom.

The London Stamp Exchange Roll was of good quality as well as the original. Published in the 1980's on good quality paper but only 100 produced.

Andy