Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC)

stephenh

Many thanks for all your efforts anyway. They are much appreciated.

regards.

Tim

• 1 month later...

look up please Stephen for Frederick Charles Allsopp was in Royal Garrison Artillary until end of war think joined RIC

Niall

The only Allsopp in the RIC was 76367 Richard Allsopp, enlisted around November 1920. Maybe some sort of Alias??

Stephen

Hi Stephan,

This is very gratious of you to offre these lookups for people. Could you possibley look up my Grand Uncles and great grand father. I am not sure of Great grand dads initials.

G Uncles were

William Glennon Born Rosbercon county kilkenny/roscommon

Patrick Glennon As above.

William was killed on the Somme.

I look forward to any details you can provide.

Regards

Ross.

Ross

62442 William Glennon enlisted July 1907

66898 Patrick Glennon enlisted December 1912

or

70286 Patrick J Glennon enlisted summer 1917

Hope this is of some help

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Alison Holmes

Hi Stephen,

Have just resumed the research into my Grandfathers life after a bit of a break and found your post. Would appreciate it if you could help in any way with the following:

Walter Lang - demobbed from RFA on 19/7/21 after being one of the first to go to France on 19/8/14. From information received from family it appears he then joined the RIC in 1921 until it changed to the RUC in 1922. We think he then left the RUC in 1940 and joined up again for WW2 for a short while.

Thanks very much.

Alison

Guest Biker Steffy

Hello

Iwas really interested in this post.

My grandfather I am sure his first name was Patrick (I only called him grandad !!!)

Costigan..

He was born in Carlow I believe.

I know he was at Ypers during the war, it "brutalised" him and left him with a "coldness". After what he had endured he had little sympathy for minor problems.

He joined the Garda sometime after his return and eventually held quite high office in Limerick before he retired.

• 11 months later...

Hi, if you still have access to the RIC docs could you please look up Gerald Declan Burke, dob 1900 he was with the RIC between 1920 and 1922

Many thanks,

Red

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen

I did try to email you before I came accross this thread, so apologies if you receive this request twice.

Please can you look up a RIC 52469, George Lougheed for me? I am interested in his enlistment date, origin, personal details etc.

Kind regards

Martyn

Hello Stephen,

If you still have access to the RIC records, I would very much appreciate if you could have a look to see if you can find anything on Joseph Henry BIGLEY. I believe he rose to the rank of Sergeant and would have served about 1870-1895. Many thanks.

Regards,

Ron Hartley

• 1 month later...

I am looking for Thomas Kellagher who in 1914 joined the Alberta Police Force. Prior to that he was in the RIC for 5 years. He may well have collected the returns for the 1911 census in Co Down, possibly Derryboye area

Any information would be appreciated

Stephen,

Do your records include the auxuliaries (Black and Tans), oral family history suggests that my grandfather Frederick Thomas Blake Pte 3/8019 Dorset reg served as one.

Regards

Malcolm

I have access to the service records of all the 85,000 men who served in this force from 1836 till its disbandenment in 1922.

Of particular note to the forum is the 752 men who served with the colors during the Great War of which 167 were KIA.

I will be more than happy to do look ups for any of the Pals.

Stephen

Hi,

My GGG Grandfather Bernard Greene (or Green) was in RIC before emigrating to NZ, or Australia and NZ. That would have been circa 1860s and he became the 5th policeman in NZ. Records we have suggest he came from County Fermanagh, but that could be wrong. Judging from what we know of him, his file could contain interesting references so don't be shy to fire every thing through!

email: amacdonald@msm.co.uk

Andy M

Stephen

Could you please check your records for Thomas Henry Nugent born 1889 at Kesh, Co Fermanagh. He served 3 years with the RIC before going to England where he joined Newcastle upon Tyne City Police on 15.4.1913 as PC931. He had also served with the Irish Guards as Private 3524 and was recalled to the colours in August 1914, and was reported missing on 1.11.1914, which was later given as his date of death for official purposes. He had two brothers in the RIC, Joseph Nugent stationed Collooney and Patrick Nugent stationed Lisburn. I also have two or three other constables who served in the RIC then came to Newcastle, would you like the details to add to your files.

John

Chaps managed to dig out the following;

62571 Thomas H Nugent enlisted sept/Oct 1906

63892 Thomas Kellagher enlisted Aug 1908

34434 Joseph Bigley enlisted April 1868

13113 Bernard Green enlisted Sept 1849

or

17989 Bernard Green enlisted Feb 1854

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

Thanks very much for the information regarding 34434 Joseph Bigley enlisted April 1868.

Does this mean his 'papers' are available, and if so, where might I be able to obtain copies ?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron Hartley

Back to my enquiry from 2003!

The man I am after was Major General William Richard English-Murphy D.S.O., M.C., M.A. Chief Commissioner of Dublin (?) Police 1923-25. I know he dropped the name English at some point.

Reason? He commanded the 1st South Staffords in Italy in 1918.

Hi Stephen,

I'm told (!!) that my great uncle Albert Gillespie was in the RIC. Is it possible for you to check

for me in your resources for me.

Thank you

Teresa

Hi Stephen,

Trying to find information on my grandfather James Carter who we think was RIC in Dublin around 1920. He was born in Co Sligo - no dates I'm afraid. Hope you can help.

Many thanks, Jace.

I have access to the service records of all the 85,000 men who served in this force from 1836 till its disbandenment in 1922.

Of particular note to the forum is the 752 men who served with the colors during the Great War of which 167 were KIA.

I will be more than happy to do look ups for any of the Pals.

Stephen

Could you check the records for a Hiatt, Walter possible Frederick if not Walter. I have conflictiving first names.

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry 31697 Private (if that is any use)

If you are still doing this stephenh would you look up a James MOYNA, in Riverstown Sligo around 1890 and also have you any with the surname McCARVILLE.

Regards and TKS

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hi Stephen,

If you are still offering look-ups on the RIC records, can you do a search for:

Joseph Abercrombie b1861 who served in Hacketstown Co Carlow as a sergeant.

I'm not sure where he was born, but he married Elizabeth Cullen from Co Laois in 1890 and died in 1943.

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

Alex