Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed in deciphering medal card contents please.

cumbrianangel

I have the same problem with his son, who was killed in 1944 in Italy and is buried at Minturno. I also know that he was warded the MC but can't find any mention in the London Gazette.

Any hel would be most appreciated as I have no idea where to go next.

Thanks,

Shirley

Shirley,

Another thought in your search for this WW2 MC.

Whilst there may no be citation entry in LG if you look on WW2 Talk site you will see many gallantry "recommendations" from the National Archives are posted. If you post an enquiry for your relative one of the experts on that forum may well turn it up for you.

In my experience from looking at WW2 VC recommendations they use the exact same words as on the subsequent official citation.

Steve Y

• 10 years later...

I was fortunate to be able to visit Beersheva yesterday and to attend the Service of Remembrance there commemorating the 105th anniversary of the battle. This chap's headstone caught my attention, but having read through this thread a couple of times, I think that I am probably still missing something (very possible after such a long day):

where does the RFC come into the story?

image.jpeg.dd4280240c051c9b54621983458bb946.jpeg

Edited by michaeldr

An interesting query

Although i cannot find any records or evidence  to support  my initial theory 

that he may have served in the R,F.C prior to joining the R.I.F 

maybe the stonemason was just  having a very bad day 

over to the forum detectives

Ray

Ray,

Many thanks for taking the time to check this out for me - I too drew a blank and am beginning to think you could well be right with 

29 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

maybe the stonemason was just  having a very bad day 

best regards, Michael

The headstone order attached to his Commonwealth War Graves Commission webpage shows the code for the regimental crest and layout to be used is pattern 1024/1c. A check of a couple of other Royal Irish Fusiliers buried at Beersheeba shows the same pattern was required. Checking out a Royal Flying Corps man, Lieutenant Alaric Pinder Boor, it looks like the pattern required for him is 1192/1T, so can't believe there was a transcription error that led to the mix up.

However looking at the image that looks like a fairly recent replacement headstone, and that may be where the error has occured. Perhaps CWGC are hoping no-one will notice and their blushes will be spared:)

Of course it could have perpetuated an error from a previous iteration of the headstone, which might have been the original or an earlier replacement.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks for your thoughts Peter. I agree that the stone look quite recent, and that may well have a bearing here

Edited by michaeldr