Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spelling for pedants

Sue Light

People might be interested to see why Anzac should be used instead of the capitalised ANZAC.

See Bryn Dolan's great website

http://www.anzacs.org

Anzac - interesting ...

is it Australian and new zealand army corp (Anzac)

and is this just the view of australians and not New Zealanders.

What about the army corps? How do they differ from the British Army Corps?

Perhaps Chris should include spelling and capitalisation protocols in the forum rules?

Perhaps in the interests of wider comprehension we should adopt Esperanto as a forum standard?

No doubt someone will tell us!

is it Australian and new zealand army corp (Anzac)

and is this just the view of australians and not New Zealanders.

What about the army corps? How do they differ from the British Army Corps?

Perhaps in the interests of wider comprehension we should adopt Esoeranto as a forum standard?

No doubt someone will tell us!

While I tend to agree with the arguments about past usage, and capitalization at the beginning only of words, I also feel that the use of " Anzac" is somewhat derogatory to New Zealand, and consequently is promoted by Australians :ph34r: but this may just be sibling rivalry rearing its ugly head!

For those of you who are unaware, there is a long standing rivalry between New Zealand and Australia, in all aspects of life, including accents, sporting prowess, standard of living, behaviour, anything at all, which is strange considering that many families have members on both sides of the ditch, and our history has been interwoven ever since the beginning of recorded history in this part of the world.

We love them, but we resent them, and will argue with them at any opportunity.

However we will spring to their defence against outsiders! Just like members of a family!

At least that is this NZer's opinion!

What do you Aussies have to say?

a little nz compared to a big A, thus putting us down

They should be equal!

Actually, thank you to this thread for making go back through my text and check all spelling of "anzac".nearly all of which referred to burials around Gallipoli.

Most of them I changed to "Gallipoli" in order not to create confusion.

It seems the alternative would be NZACA! If Christine wants it by golly that's what we must call them from now on, no more looking down on New Zealand! What say ye in Oz?

It's Ok I was only joking :lol:

but this is funny!

The Australian Government has just warned the travelling public that it's dangerous in NZ - we are "in a seismic zone" and actually have earthquakes!

The last person killed in an earthquake in NZ was in the 1960s; the last person killed in an earthquake in Australia was in the 1980s; and what with their snakes, bushfires, floods, and sharks I think we are safer than they are from the vagaries of Nature!

It's Ok I was only joking :lol:

but this is funny!

The Australian Government has just warned the travelling public that it's dangerous in NZ - we are "in a seismic zone" and actually have earthquakes!

The last person killed in an earthquake in NZ was in the 1960s; the last person killed in an earthquake in Australia was in the 1980s; and what with their snakes, bushfires, floods, and sharks I think we are safer than they are from the vagaries of Nature!

Maybe we could be called the Aac's. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it though :blink:

Here's hoping for an Australian v New Zealand final for the rugby union world cup :D

Christine,

I dont why Kiwis feel looked down on. Aren't there more Kiwis living in Oz than back home?

Peter ;) (very much tongue in cheek)

Only Kidding!

This is probably a very dangerous area for a Pom like me to intrude on,

However, the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli in April 1915 was made up of two divisions: 1st Australian Div and the New Zealand & Australian Div

As the Australians contributed four of the infantry brigades to New Zealand's one, I don't imagine that there was very much dispute at the time regarding titles.

Did I read somewhere that the acronym 'Anzac' [or ANZAC] in fact goes back even before Gallipoli, to the time when stores were being requisitioned prior to the fleet's departure from Western Australia?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Aren't there more Kiwis living in Oz than back home?

Yes, thus heightening the intelligence level in both countries! :D

I remember a New Zealand friend asking what the difference between an Aussie and a yogurt might be. Bemused I was told that there is culture in a yogurt.

I think this demonstrates the feelings between the two communities as well as Christine's quote.

There was me thinking that it was just the English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish who were such fierce proud nations!!!

:unsure:

That is just brilliantly clever and funny. I am in the middle of dealing with leaky water pipes and a saturated house, and this made me laugh. So thank you for that exchange, never mind if original or not.

This is probably a very dangerous area for a Pom like me to intrude on,

However, the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli in April 1915 was made up of two divisions: 1st Australian Div and the New Zealand & Australian Div

As the Australians contributed four of the infantry brigades to New Zealand's one, I don't imagine that there was very much dispute at the time regarding titles.

Did I read somewhere that the acronym 'Anzac' [or ANZAC] in fact goes back even before Gallipoli, to the time when stores were being requisitioned prior to the fleet's departure from Western Australia?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Hi Michael

I've heard the name Anzac was put in place in Albany before they left WA, but have also heard that it was in Egypt that it was first used.

I was told a long time ago that there was a Turkish word which was spelt almost the same as Anzac which in Turkish meant Almost.

Quite applicable when you think of how many Almosts there were in the campaign.

Cheers

Andrew

I remember a New Zealand friend asking what the difference between an Aussie and a yogurt might be. Bemused I was told that there is culture in a yogurt.

I think this demonstrates the feelings between the two communities as well as Christine's quote.

There was me thinking that it was just the English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish who were such fierce proud nations!!!

:unsure:

Hi Martin

When me and a mate were walking around Istanbul last year, a carpet seller told us that joke to help him sell some carpets to us.

It didn't work :D

It seems the alternative would be NZACA! If Christine wants it by golly that's what we must call them from now on, no more looking down on New Zealand! What say ye in Oz?

Not wOrTh a zacK! n' zackered before it starts

and on and on and on

To the tune of Onwards Christian Soldiers.

We are the Ragtime Army

The A.N.Z.A.C.

We cannot shoot

We wont salute

What bloody use are we?

And when we get to Berlin

The Kaiser he will say

Ach Ach Mein Gott

What a ruddy useless lot

The A.N.Z.C.A.

During a Recruiting Meeting in Melbourne a gentleman in the front row called out Yes join the Ragtime Army. A Man of [and in] the Cloth left the stage and punched him out.

post-8-1068247185.jpg

Have you been on the cider too? :D

post-8-1068251465.jpg

for making go back through my text and check all spelling of "anzac".nearly all of which referred to burials around Gallipoli.

Most of them I changed to "Gallipoli" in order not to create confusion.

Merhaba Christine

Removing or adding to the confusion?

Even Dr Bean seems to waver. His condensed history, published in 1946 as ANZAC TO AMIENS, has a chapter entitled "ANZAC" AND HELLES, but uses Anzac & Helles in the text.

When referring to the troops generally, he uses the "Anzacs"

There MAY be argument as to whether his quotation marks are appropriate.

At p121 he states

Birdwood obtained leave to call the place by the code-name of his corps, ANZAC - Australian and New Zealand Army Corps - and the famous name, though originally devised by one of Birdwood's English clerks, Lieutenant A.T.White, while the Corps was at Cairo, now first came into general use. The bay and the half mile of beach ... were named Anzac Cove.

Before altering your files to Gallipoli, please factor in the fact that the first 2 volumes of THE OFFICIAL HISTORY are THE STORY OF ANZAC not .. of GALLIPOLI.

That might also deflate the argument that Bean indoctrinated us all into believing that WE were the only ones at Gallipoli. How shattering to have BEAN himself tell us that an Englishman devised the name.

Nobody wants to go down that path about why the place was called Gallipoli in the first place.

Now Chris, you may think all the above effort was expended into making you think we are cobbers.

WRONG!

Just getting you off guard for the coup de grass

Correct your user i.d page mate!

And don't try retaliation by trotting out your sheep jokes! PLEASE

ooRoo

Christine,

Have you considered putting a photo of yourself doing a haka in your profile page?

Just a thought...

G'day Paul.

True isn't it. That mob across the ditch, they finally wake up that someting is a bit of all right, then try to make out that it was their idea in the first place. Like all the jokes they tell, they swap the winner for the loser & pass it off as their own.

I even heard one chinese gooseberry tell his friend that he went into this Sydney Pub where the locals were watching a soccer game. Trying to break the ice, he asked "What's the score?" Three Two. Waits required interval, tries again, "Who's winning?" Two!

ooRoo

Pat