Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th London

Pete1052

Lt. Piercy and Cpt. F.W Crofts were both Teachers at Davenant and both served in the London 17th. I am a past pupil of Davenant and a current member of staff. The school plans to honour these brave men. I would appreciate a copy of Lt. Piercy's diary and any photographs.

• 4 months later...

I have a diary by a lieutenant (Wilfred Piercy) with the 17th London (Poplar & Stepney Rifles). He had been with the 15th Middlesex until the merger. Lt. Piercy arrived in France in early March 1915 and died in Sept. 1915 at the Battle of Loos. Here's his photo and info from the Loos Memorial website:

Wilfred Ashton Piercy

Send me a PM or email, and I'll send you a transcription of the diary. It talks a lot about his men. Maybe your grandfather was one of them!

Lisa

Hello Lisa

I have just read your very interesting email. I am the gt grand-daughter of George Piercy - Wilfred Piercy's father. My grandmother was from George Piercy's first family. Wilfred Piercy was George's oldest son from his second marriage to Annie Taylor. I am currently writing a history of my gt grandfather's life in Yorkshire and China where he was a Missionary for many years. In fact Wilfred was born out in China. I know quite a lot about his first family, but very little about his second family. Sadly Annie Taylor had four children and lost all of them, two when young and Wilfred in the War, his sister then died not that long after Wilfred. So I am interested to know more of Wilfred. If you could tell me where you obtained the diary and the contents. I look forward to hearing from you. I appreciate your post was some years ago, but if you pick this up, it would be good.

Janie

PS. I'm another Yank. Brooklyn, NY

Hello David

I was very interested to see your email regarding Wilfred Ashton Piercy, who was a teacher at Davenants. I am the gt grand-daughter of George Piercy, Wilfred's father. George Piercy the Wesleyan Missionary was married twice and I am related to the first marriage and my gt grandmother Jane, who died in 1878. George remarried Annie Taylor and had a further four children, Wilfred being the eldest. I am currently writing George's life history. I am so pleased that Davenants are to honour Wilfred. My cousin and I have purchased a poppy to be placed with others in his memory and I hope to travel down to see them in early October. If you did manage to get hold of a diary or letters, photographs, I would be most interested.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Janie

• 8 years later...

Dear All

I'm trying to find information about my grandfather, Thomas Arms, probably born around 1895.  I have found him on the 1921 census, where it states: 17th London Defence Regiment, Thomas Arms, Rifleman.  I have also found a Thomas  Orams in the Forces war records, as Private 556029 in the 17th London Regiment in 1914. Same Thomas Orams is mentioned on the medal index cards at National Archives, reference WO372/15.  I'm thinking it could be the same person but the name was difficult to read, so they spelt it wrong? My grandfather deserted my grandmother when my mother was born in 1930, and I can't find any trace of him at all.  

If anybody can give any help or tips, I would be very grateful.  I'm including a copy of the census page for anyone else who might be interested. 
Many thanks

kim

1921 census Thomas Arms.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum,

This is a duplicate enquiry, please reply on the thread in the link. Duplicate posts cause confusion and repetition of research and answers.