Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

49th Division

Simon R

I spent last night looking through them for someone else, and your relative isn't immediately recognisable to me - the photo you've posted is great, I'll have a better look soon. If I find anything like, I'll post it up - you'll know better than me.

Guest vernon_kell
I spent last night looking through them for someone else, and your relative isn't immediately recognisable to me - the photo you've posted is great, I'll have a better look soon. If I find anything like, I'll post it up - you'll know better than me.

Thanks Simon, very kind...

Here is Jack, with Lillian his wife, proudly wearing his WW1 ribbons, in the early 40's

post-8781-1132437672.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see him in any of the postcards - what did his number turn out to be in the end? That should be a big clue.

• 5 weeks later...

Simon, do you by any chance know anything about the activities of the 246th Brigade on 14th April 1917 and the incident mentioned below?

Thanks, Tony.

Gunner Herbert Noble, son of the Thongsbridge station master, received a certificate of merit for bravery in action. It read: “To Sergeant Fitter H. Noble, 246th W.R. Brigade, R.F.A. Your Commanding Officer and Brigade Commander have informed me that you distinguished yourself in the field on 14th April, 1917. I have read their report with much pleasure.” It was signed by Major General E.M. Percival.

Herbert’s friends knew he would keep quiet about it so they had him distracted and took the certificate from his kit and posted it to his parents, only telling Herbert about it when it was safely in the post. Included was the following letter:

“We have much pleasure in informing you of Herbert’s great bravery, for which you will find enclosed a certificate of merit signed by the General commanding our Division. Like all brave men, throughout he treats the whole matter with the upmost composure, and is very reticent about the whole incident himself. He continually says it is nothing, but, as three of his chums throughout the whole of the campaign, we think it is our duty to inform you he is deserving of every possible honour being bestowed upon him. We may say that the Battery in general is delighted that his service has been recognised, and we are naturally all very proud of him. We were proud before, but now you should be doubly so. Of course, the reward does not represent the work he did, and the bravery he exhibited was the means of averting a crisis. His good work as long been recognised by the O.C. who on several occasions has recommenced him to the higher authorities, but his work on the 14th left no loophole, and recognition was bound to come. Needless to say. I am witting this unknown to Herbert. I have borrowed the card from him for the purpose of getting it home to you. I shall tell him when we know the letter to be on the way. We hope to be able to inform you of some other recognition being awarded to him in the near future.”

'the work he did... means of averting a crisis' - bty. was moving 14th May, up to Ypres I think, wonder if it's something relative to his capacity as fitter-sgt., mediating chaos of shifting horses, howitzers, high explosive and humans in to and out of mud. An 'logistical'/'organisational' event - he 'left no loophole'

I don't know about this period off-hand, I will provide some diary and bty. history refs. (245th but relevant to 246th) at a later date. Back to work now....

Thanks, the date is 14th April, 1917. I was just wondering if there was anything more to the story to be had, it is not of major importance, but more information is always welcome.

Tony.