Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thankful Villages

Tom Morgan

My friend Norman Thorpe and I have put together an article on The Thankful Villages - the name formerly given to the villages in England - though we have added a couple of Welsh ones - which sent men to fight in the war and saw them all return safely (though one man left an arm behind).

(As far as we know there are no Scottish Thankful Villages, which perhaps tells us something about the ferocity of the Scots).

Although we state that our research isn't definitive, what we have is a tentative list of Thankful Villages. We would now like to add a little sub-page for each village, giving some details about each one. Some of them we have done, but there are others which are still waiting.

Norman and I can't get round to visit them all, but we have had some valuable help from local people and I was wondering if any Pals might like to help us with the project?

If you go and have a look at the article you'll see what the existing sub-pages look like. Just follow the links from the main list of villages. There's usually a photo or two to give an impression of what the village looks like, and also some text giving a brief description of any memorials to be found.

If you live near any of the villages we haven't done yet, and could find time to go and get a photo of the village, we'd be very grateful. And if you have a bit of local knowledge and would like to write a few papragraphs about any of the villages that would be great too. Of course, any photo or text will be credited.

These are the villages we haven't been able to do yet:

Buckinghamshire - Stoke Hammond

Cardiganshire - Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn

Cornwall - Herodsfoot

Derbyshire - Bradbourne

Essex - Strethall

Glamorgan - Colwinston

Gloucestershire - Brierley

Gloucestershire - Coln Rogers

Gloucestershire - Little Sodbury

Hertfordshire - Puttenham

Kent - Knowlton

Leicestershire Saxby

Lincolnshire - Bigby

Lincolnshire - Claxby

Lincolnshire - High Toynton

Northamptonshire - East Carlton

Northamptonshire - Woodend

Northumberland - Meldon

Nottinghamshire - Cromwell

Nottinghamshire - Wigsley

Rutland - Teigh

Somerset - Aisholt

Somerset Chantry

Somerset - Chelwood

Somerset Rodney Stoke

Somerset - Stocklinch

Somerset - Tellisford

Somerset - Woolley

Suffolk - Culpho

Suffolk - South Elmham St. Michael

Yorkshire - Catwick

Yorkshire - Norton-le-Clay

Any offers of support will be gratefully accepted.

Tom

Tom

Put me down for some pics of Strethall (Essex)

Its only a few miles up the road so I should be able to find some time this week for you.

Glyn

Tom - Quite happy to take some photo's of Stoke Hammond for you as its just up the road. Do you have anything in mind for what you want in them?

Tom,

I note you have Gate Burton on your list.

Gate Burton is a tiny hamlet, 4 miles south east of Gainsborough on the A 156 to Lincoln. In 1975 there were 23 electorial addresses in the hamlet with Gate Burton Hall and the Rectory and a couple of farms being the principal addresses.The Rectory has been sold off for well over 20 years.

It is only 500 yards from the northern entry on the A156 into Marton which is a medium sized village.

There are a number of Hills residing in Marton and possibily R/16819 Rifleman Arthur Hill's name may be found on the Marton village memorial. I have an aquaintance named Hill who originates from Marton and may be related to Rifleman Hill.

I can supply a selection of photographs of Gate Burton.I think the church may be sited in the Hall grounds and if it is there, there could be a memorial in the church.

I can also supply the background to Wigsley,a small rural community between Newton on Trent and Collingham, which was probably split by the airfield of the same name which was laid down during the Second World War.There is not much there now and I cannot ever recollect seeing a church there. I will try to get a photograph which will illustrate its background.

Hi Tom

I will do Teigh in Rutland for you It is just up the road from me . I do have a picture of the memorial on my web site .

Keith

Glyn, Will, Frank and Keith,

Thanks very much for your offers of help - gratefully accepted. In answer to your questions - the pictures we're after are ones which give a general view of what the village looks like - looking down the main street, a picturesque part of the village - that kind of thing.

If there is a memorial and you are able to get a picture of it, a note of where it is exactly, plus a note of the inscription if any, would also be good (or if you are using digital, photos of the inscriptions will do and I can get the text from them.)

If there's a war memorial and it's in the churchyard, a note of the name of the church would be helpful, too.

From this information, plus a couple of pictures, I can make a good little sub-page for the village.

Sometimes we've been able to get some interesting notes on the history of the village, especially as it relates to the Great War, but that's a bonus. Just a few words saying where the village is, where the memorial is if there is one, and a couple of pictures will be fine.

Thanks very much for your offers of help with this.

Tom

Tom

East Carlton is not that far from me, so if the weather is OK tomorrow I'll go and take a look, camera in hand. If I get lucky the church might even be open, it being a Sunday.

Regards

Jan

Hi Tom

I will do Teigh in Rutland for you It is just up the road from me . I do have a picture of the memorial on my web site .

Keith

With Keith's help and knowledge of the village of Teigh, we now have what's prpbably the most interesting sub-page, which can be seen here.

Thanks very much indeed, Keith.

Tom

Tom

East Carlton is not that far from me, so if the weather is OK tomorrow I'll go and take a look, camera in hand. If I get lucky the church might even be open, it being a Sunday.

Regards

Jan

Thanks Jan. Your pictures of East Carlton are excellent and allow us to make a start on yet another sub-page.

Tom

Tom I will get all the shots you require for the somerset villages, will send them up as i get them.

willy

Willy, that's a very kind offer as there are quite a few in Somerset! I'll PM you with an email adddress.

Tom

Lincolnshire - Bigby

Lincolnshire - Claxby

Lincolnshire - High Toynton

Any offers of support will be gratefully accepted.

Tom

Hi Tom - I've just caught up with this thread. I can do the three in Lincolnshire during September, (I'm away for a few days). Can you advise me which Claxby?

Claxby (or Claxby by Normanby) sits on a slight rise about 4 miles north of Market Rasen.

Claxby, (or Claxby by Well, or Claxby by Alford, or Claxby St. Andrew!!!) is a village and a parish about 3 miles south of Alford.

Claxby Pluckacre is a small parish five and a half miles southeast of Horncastle.

Cheers: Terry

Terry - thanks very much for your offer to get the photos of the Lincolnshire villages.

Which Claxby is it? Er...... I didn't know there was so many. It's definitely not Claxby by Alford. Our description says it's "near Market Rasen" so I think it must be the first one you mention. It's at map reference TF1194 if that's any help. I'll ask Norman (who did the map references) to check and I'll let you know.

Tom

Hi Tom - I've just caught up with this thread. I can do the three in Lincolnshire during September, (I'm away for a few days). Can you advise me which Claxby?

Claxby (or Claxby by Normanby) sits on a slight rise about 4 miles north of Market Rasen.

Claxby, (or Claxby by Well, or Claxby by Alford, or Claxby St. Andrew!!!) is a village and a parish about 3 miles south of Alford.

Claxby Pluckacre is a small parish five and a half miles southeast of Horncastle.

Should there be any problem with the Lincolnshire ones, I will act as backstop but v. busy all Sept pleasure bent!

excuse for being not quite with it..

the way I read the first post is you wanted pictures of villages where all volunteers/regulars came back.

but my interpretation of subsequant is that you want pics of war memorials, its the end of the week and cant quite grasp things!!

Ive got somewhere a picture of my ex village community when the war memorial was unveiled, but cant find any villages without a memorial of some description, must have been an unlucky area..

Hi Chaz - don't worry mate, it's a normal Friday thing!

Some Thankful Villages (where all the men came back) do have War Memorials, but they are usually some kind of thanks-offering for the safe return of all those who served, sometimes with names.

They are in all shapes and sizes - there's a stained glass window, brass plaques, a lamp-post, a flagpole outside the village school and one wooden board which was only set up in the last couple of years.

Not all Thankful Villages have memorials, but where there is one, we're trying to include a picture of it.

Tom

Hi Tom.

Could possibly be in the area of Norton-le-Clay Sunday.

Regards, Chris.

Chris,

If - and it's only "if" - you get the chance to go there and take a photo or two they'd be gratefully received.

Tom

Tom,

I'll try Catwick in East Yorkshire over the bank holiday, bearing in mind its one of the few villages in East Yorks without a pub!

Regards Charles

It's at map reference TF1194 if that's any help.

Tom

Tom - Thanks, TF1194 is the first one, (Claxby, or Claxby by Normanby). Fits in nice with Bigby which is just a few miles to the north.

Tom - Thanks, TF1194 is the first one, (Claxby, or Claxby by Normanby). Fits in nice with Bigby which is just a few miles to the north.

Terry - Norman says it the one which is 4 miles due north of Market Rasen. Is that the same one?

Tom

Tom,

I'll try Catwick in East Yorkshire over the bank holiday, bearing in mind its one of the few villages in East Yorks without a pub!

Regards Charles

Charles, thanks very much. Whatever you can manage to get will be very gratefully received.

Tom