Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thankful Villages

Tom Morgan

Terry - Norman says it the one which is 4 miles due north of Market Rasen. Is that the same one?

Tom

Tom - Yes it is - On the western edge of The Wolds - Footpath past the church links up with the Viking Way and usually some great views over the low landscape of Ancholme Valley. Lincoln Cathedral can often be seen some 15 or so miles away to the south.

Cheers: Terry

Tom, I don't know if you are aware of the following Cayton information regarding its claim to be a "Thankful Village".

Recently,while reading the publication,"Inns of Yorkshire", I came across the reference that Cayton,a village just a few miles south of Scarborough was also a "Thankful Village".

The publication reported that Cayton holds the village record for the highest number of men sent to, and returned from war.The figure is given as 43 men to war and the same number returning safely.The village is reported to be at the head of a list of 31 "Thankful Villages".

Regarding the Hills of Gate Burton, apparently Rifleman Hill was the younger brother of my contact's grandfather who was too old for the Great War.His grandfather had a number of younger brothers and it is thought there was another brother who was also a casualty.All the boys were born at Gate Burton and it is possible that the Gate Burton Hall Church may contain a memorial to them having found that they are not recorded on the adjacent Marton village war memorial.

Regarding Gate Burton and Wigsley.As they say, Work in Progress.

• 3 weeks later...
Lincolnshire - Bigby

Lincolnshire - Claxby

Lincolnshire - High Toynton

Tom - An update - I now have some photos from these three and I'm hopeful of more info from contacts in Claxby and and Bigby. Meanwhile I will put something together on High Toynton in the next couple of days or so.

What sort of size photos would you prefer?

Cheers: Terry - win.jpg

• 2 months later...

Tom, I've replied to your PM.

Bigby and Claxby, text and photos should be with you in a few days (Fingers crossed)

Cheers Terry

• 5 weeks later...
Tom, I don't know if you are aware of the following Cayton information regarding its claim to be a "Thankful Village".

Recently,while reading the publication,"Inns of Yorkshire", I came across the reference that Cayton,a village just a few miles south of Scarborough was also a "Thankful Village".

The publication reported that Cayton holds the village record for the highest number of men sent to, and returned from war.The figure is given as 43 men to war and the same number returning safely.The village is reported to be at the head of a list of 31 "Thankful Villages".

Regarding the Hills of Gate Burton, apparently Rifleman Hill was the younger brother of my contact's grandfather who was too old for the Great War.His grandfather had a number of younger brothers and it is thought there was another brother who was also a casualty.All the boys were born at Gate Burton and it is possible that the Gate Burton Hall Church may contain a memorial to them having found that they are not recorded on the adjacent Marton village war memorial.

Regarding Gate Burton and Wigsley.As they say, Work in Progress.

Tom, Is Cayton a valid "Thankful Village".

Regarding Gate Burton and Wigsley,can you indicate which e mail address is suitable for the articles and photographs.

Regards

Frank East

Hi Tom,

Don't want to throw a spanner in the works, but the village of HERBRANDSTON, Pembrokeshire, also has a double claim to be "thankful".

There is a plaque in the parish church (possibly on the organ, I think) which announces that the parish suffered no fatalities in either the First or Second World Wars.

Herbrandston lies just west of the town of Milford Haven, on the shores of the Haven itself. I used to live in the village and can remember the plaque, and the village's reputation within the County as being somewhere which had no losses.

LST_164

• 7 months later...

Morning!

We have some pictures of the Knowlton memorial on the Dover War Memorial Project website (www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk) - if it helps you, Tom, I could send you the .jpgs by CD.

Also, I'm very near Stoke Hammond, so could help there too. :)