Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDWG look up please

Garron

Hi pals i was wondering could anyone please do a SDWG look up for

PTE. A Taroni

hes listed on the local memorial in my village but i cant seem to find him on the CWGC (thought with an unusual surname like that he would be easy to find)

Though on a random google search i did find out that hes buried in

Chambrin Churchyard Extension, near Bethune

Any ideas where that is?

Thanks

Garron

Garron,

There are no Taroni's listed.

Note different spelling of surname for this entry though -

post-172-1155396358.jpg

Thats the fella. Ferndale yep thats my village,

Derek I own you one, looks like there is a error somwhere, then as hes litsed on a website where i found the burial as Taroni

he had a brother. SPR Fred Tarone, any chance of another? :D

Thanks

Garron

post-7438-1155396637.jpg

Garron - just wait till you see this one.........................

post-172-1155397122.jpg

I suggest that you ask someone with a printed version of SDGW to see what his entry comes under as there is obviously a LARGE problem with his surname! :blink:

gott in himmel! thats mad!

o yeah large would cover it, no wonder i couldnt find either of them,

Thanks Derek for them, at least we know, they are the right guys, Ferndale Glam,

Garron

Garron,

It was Ferndale I had to search SDGW with as there are no entries for Taroni and none for Tarone apart from your man.

There are 205 entries for Ferndale.

205! wow ok thats more then listed on the memorial, theres about 120 listed give or take due to my untidy listing.

i do believe i have open a can of worms and a big one a that.

how could there be such a big problem with the last name?

Garron

Here is one of them on CWGC

Name: FARONE, FRED

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 170th Tunnelling Coy.

Date of Death: 03/06/1915

Service No: 86106

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 1.

Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Thanks Owen, no wonder i couldnt find them, the names are inconsistant,

Thanks

garron

did an MIC search

Farone, Fred

Gloucestershire Regiment 15220 Private

Royal Engineers A 86106 Private

and

Tarone, Arthur

Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry 19990 Private

Dorsetshire Regiment 14748 Private

looks like RCT council may have it wrong but then this confuses me even more. (taken from a website about the Dorsetshire reg)

30th August 1916 Pte Arthur TARONI, 1st Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment, died in France.

garron (heavily confused)

Hi,

Fred Taroni appears (with a photo) in my book 'Leaving all that was Dear - Cheltenham and the Great War' published 1997 - co-authored with Graham Sacker and long since out of print. This is a synopsis of the Fred's entry. Born Cheltenham the son of Edwin Joseph Taroni, a watchmaker (b. 1841 in Bristol - although it is also claimed that he was born in Italy) and Anna Taroni , 21 Sherbourne St Cheltenham. Frederick was educated at Holy Trinity School Cheltenham and had served for some years in the North Glos Militia and the Special Reserve. In 1914 he enlisted as No 15220 in the Glos Regt in Ferndale, where he was working in the mining industry but was later transferred to 170 Tunnelling Coy RE. He was killed during underground mining operations when a counterflet exploded. He had been at the front for six months. He left a widow and two children. His brother Arthur was also killed. Both are also commemorated on the Cheltenham main memorial and in a number of churches in the town.

Just out of interest I can remember trying to identify these brothers -what a job we had. In the mid 1990s there was no internet, no Soldiers Died CD, no CWGC index to speak of, just a name and an initial on a memorial. Previous posting illustrate just look how easy it can be now to identify someone! There are 1600 names in the above book with almost 1000 photos - it still amazes me how we were able to identify them - well almost all of them! Just to show how easy it is now to research someone here is the 1901 census entry for the family:

Edwin Taronie

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1841

Address: 21 Sherborne St

Relation: Head

Spouses's Name: Ann

Where born: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England

Ann Taronie 45, b. Corstum Wilts

Arthur Taronie 8, b. Cheltenham

Charles Taronie 7, b. Cheltenham

Doroathy Taronie 3, b. Cheltenham

Edwin Taronie 60 , b. Cheltenham

Fred Taronie 16, b. Cheltenham

Hellen Taronie 6, b. Cheltenham

Promenade

thanks Promenade,

Thats quite amazing concidering the things you had available to you,

So he wasnt from ferndale, but he moved here,

Thanks

Garron

think its a case of 'Chinese Whispers' basically what the recruiting nco writes down, the officer translates, the records office think they wrote and on and on. none of which were probably checked by the recruit anyway. If he was asked to fill in the form or sign it, yet again, its down to whoever to decipher is it a T or F! of course half of them couldnt write their names any way, and looking through local church records recently I think some of the Vicars and registrars had been on the communion wine

• 15 years later...

I truly hope you gentlemen are still active on here. 

my name is Steve and Arthur Taroni is one of my ancestors, We were awarded a dead man’s penny when he was KIA. 

that dead man’s penny was handed down through the years and I was left the penny when my granma sadly passed in Jan 2022.

she searched almost 50years for Arthur and today I actually found him. 

he is buried just outside of Bethune, his brother Alfred ‘Fred’ is only 5.2Kms away believe it or not. 

They misspelt his name as A.Torina and Fred as F.Farone.

I will be contacting the CWWG to see if I can pay for a new headstone and plaque. 

his military number  14748, regiment and date of death are all correct.

I want to thank you both because you two were my missing jigsaw piece, without your thread I would of never found him. Please see the image in the lower left corner, Arthurs dead mans penny that I reunited him with.

you will never know how much it meant to me. 

B8E8BA8A-0F18-4827-B5D8-BAAC6E104FDE.jpeg.eb09c003d91faa67f00bf7e8141c6530.jpeg 

A99E5DAA-B38C-4CD1-8FBE-71E73A24D15B.jpeg

731314C3-C6A5-4056-B498-3FDDD26742E7.jpeg

Could I possibly see the picture from your book?

The area they were born is Como Italy and he was a watchmaker. 

I am as we speak in Milan heading for Como tomorrow

4F01AC73-D19B-4BD3-952A-29F2A31FB747.png

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Promenadeis still active on the forum, so hopefully my tag will alert him to your post. Good to see Cambrian and Le Touret, not many weeks until I’m back there! 

3 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:
    •  
  •  

"I will be contacting the CWWG to see if I can pay for a new headstone and plaque". 

You shouldn't need to. The CWGC is charged with looking after the grave in perpetuity. That includes ensuring the good and readable condition of the headstone. Officers of the CWGC will be visiting the graveyard on a regular basis and if a new headstone is required (or to be retooled as to the naming) this will be reported "up the line" to be actioned.

ps. The term "death penny" or "dead man's penny" does not sit comfortably with many members on here. It is a memorial plaque.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

• Admin

The whole panel won’t need to be replaced, just Freds  name. 

Here you go . .

Just to reiterate my book was published in 1995 - and researched over the previous 10 years - all without the internet!

If there are mistakes and omissions I plead that it is a 'product of its time'!

In case you were wondering CH = Main town memorial, HT= Holy Trinity Church Memorial, AS = All Saints memorial, JN = St John's memorial.

To the best of my memory a number of changes based on our research were submitted to the CWGC - the only one that was changed was a man whose name was Creed whose headstone was marked as Greed - but that was then and this is now so well worth submitting a change request.

Best regards

Promenade

Temp_Taroni1.jpg

Temp_Taroni2.jpg

Edited by Promenade

Arthur is show as having been accidently killed on his WFA pension ledger card

415002143_TaronieArthur(14748).jpg.310195b50e706f293e80d3c59dd2069a.jpg

Corresponding entry From the 1st Bn Dorsetshire Regiment war diary for 30th August 1916

1OR wounded 1 Accidently killed

1670643178_30aug16.JPG.fe9dbf73d6cf8312fce9588e87258248.JPG

hope this helps 

regards Ray

13 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. @Promenadeis still active on the forum, so hopefully my tag will alert him to your post. Good to see Cambrian and Le Touret, not many weeks until I’m back there! 

Thank you, that is great news. Do you go regular ?

13 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Evening Jim, 

please understand that no offence was to be made, it is all I was ever taught it to be called so thank you for the heads up. 

12 hours ago, Promenade said:

Here you go . .

Just to reiterate my book was published in 1995 - and researched over the previous 10 years - all without the internet!

If there are mistakes and omissions I plead that it is a 'product of its time'!

In case you were wondering CH = Main town memorial, HT= Holy Trinity Church Memorial, AS = All Saints memorial, JN = St John's memorial.

To the best of my memory a number of changes based on our research were submitted to the CWGC - the only one that was changed was a man whose name was Creed whose headstone was marked as Greed - but that was then and this is now so well worth submitting a change request.

Best regards

Promenade

Temp_Taroni1.jpg

Temp_Taroni2.jpg

Promenade, thank you so much. 

are their any copies available to purchase that you are aware of ? 

I would love a copy. 

Thank you for the info :) 

would I be able to submit a change and if so how would I go about doing so? 

I apologise for my lack of knowledge amd the misspelling of CWGC in my previous messages. I was very emotional at the time. I just wanted to make contact amd hope that you was still reachable. 

we have been in Como today where the Taroni’s lived, I took my 11yr old with me. It truly has been a great trip. Hopefully we may find some more family history in our time here.

3 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Arthur is show as having been accidently killed on his WFA pension ledger card

415002143_TaronieArthur(14748).jpg.310195b50e706f293e80d3c59dd2069a.jpg

Thank you so much.

what is WFA ?

and how did you find this?

what does DDE 403 stand for ? 

It sure is a shame that there is no report on how he was accidentally killed. I know hos brother worked in the tunnels and an explosion happened, I always thought it was Fred that was accidentally killed.

could this also be a mistake ? Although the dates are correct perhaps they filled in the wrong card?

2 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Corresponding entry From the 1st Bn Dorsetshire Regiment war diary for 30th August 1916

1OR wounded 1 Accidently killed

1670643178_30aug16.JPG.fe9dbf73d6cf8312fce9588e87258248.JPG

hope this helps 

regards Ray

Oh my,

that is incredible. Thank you so much.

what does 1OR stand for ?