Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitalised at Epsom War Hospital 1917

Martin Perry

BJay said:
Martin

On entry into a medical unit each patient was entered onto the 'Admission and Discharge Register' (A & D Book) so that his journey could be traced. At the end of the war, these books (200 tonnes of them) were taken over by the , then, Ministry of Pensions in order to substantiate war claims, and were destroyed by them in the 1930's. Having said that I have heard of some that were not destroyed, which I believe but am not 100% sure, are held at the National Archive.

Do you know if your grandfather was wounded in France? I may be able to trace him as passing through one of the General hosptials out there.

Barbara

Being REALLY cheeky here :D , but I've also posted another request on the forum under Soldiers / Bois Des Buttes at

Not sure what kind of magic box you have, but I wonder if you could take a look into it to see if there's any reference for him as well please? He was actually wounded at Harbonnires in the Somme during the period of 21st March to 1st April 1918.

Leonard Claude Jackson Bryan Service number 33124; 2nd battalion Devons.

Many, many thanks

Martin

Hi Martin

I've checked the registars I have and they only list the men that were treated and died, not the men who passed through, so I can't help you there i'm afraid.

I have found a copy of a document on Epsom Hospitals. The first of the three pictures Montbrehain posted is on it, the caption states 'a cultivated image grown by the ANZACS in the plots in front of the huts'.

I haven't found anything on the Horton yet, other than there was a book published by LT Col J R Lord, called "Horton" County of London War, unfortunatley I haven't got the date it was published. It accommodated 64 Officers and 2,462 O/Rs.

The only other thing I can tell you is that it was a large tall ugly institution building. I drove past it every day a couple of years ago when I worked around Epsom. Creepy.

I hope this helps

Barbara

Hi Martin

I've checked the registars I have and they only list the men that were treated and died, not the men who passed through, so I can't help you there i'm afraid.

I have found a copy of a document on Epsom Hospitals. The first of the three pictures Montbrehain posted is on it, the caption states 'a cultivated image grown by the ANZACS in the plots in front of the huts'.

I haven't found anything on the Horton yet, other than there was a book published by LT Col J R Lord, called "Horton" County of London War, unfortunatley I haven't got the date it was published. It accommodated 64 Officers and 2,462 O/Rs.

The only other thing I can tell you is that it was a large tall ugly institution building. I drove past it every day a couple of years ago when I worked around Epsom. Creepy.

I hope this helps

Barbara

Hi Barbara

Many thanks for trying, I do really appreciate the time you must have spent searching for me. I only joined the forum a little while ago and I'm absolutely amazed at how much information and knowledge people have, and how willing everyone is to share It !! I've learnt so much, so quickly, and its really helped pull together lots of the research that I'm trying to do for my parents. As you will know better than I, loads of information is out there, but its being shown WHERE to look which is so valuable! Anyway, I digress..... :)

Interesting that you described it as creepy - apparently it was an asylum for most of its days. It was used as a war hospital for both wars and was called Horton Asylum pre WW1, and a mental Hospital pre and ppost WW2. Good job our views on things have changed dramatically since.

Sue discovered the hospital via the NA and provided a lead to the LMA, and I've left an enquiry at the London Metropolitan Archives which states it has A&D records from 1904 to 1986. On the NA link to the site it distinguishes the hospitals usage from asylum pre and post war with war hospital between 1915 and 1918 and, interestingly, does not suggest that these are not continuous records. Probably hoping for too much, but I'm ever the optimist!!

Thanks again for your help Barbara.

Martin