Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BASRA WAR MEMORIAL

weejock

Unfortunately, I haven't yet managed to obtain an image of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Panel with Bury Grammar School old boy Lieutenant William Houghton's name on it, mentioned on an early post on this thread. If one does come to light I would like to add it to his online Roll of Honour entry, which I wrote to commemorate the centenary of his death:

http://bgsarchive.co.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_boys_rollofhonour&columnName=filename&recordId=18 

Mark,

The British War Graves website lists the Basra Memorial as one for which they hold panel images.  Have you tried them?

Clive

Stop press - he isn't on the RWF panels, because according to one source he was Royal Fusiliers attached RWF, so should be listed under that regiment.  BWG site still appropriate.  

Edited by clive_hughes

Thanks, Clive, I should have picked that up. As I record in his Roll of Honour entry, he originally enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers, serving with them in the UK but was attached to 8th RWF as part of a reinforcement draft when he reached Port Said early in 1916. 

Edited by Mark Hone

I have RWF and SWB panels as Chaz suggested  (see earlier posting) and Houghton who is indeed on the RF panel,

Bob

That's jogged a memory. A few years ago I saw on Twitter that a few members of the CWGC were visiting the Basra Memorial to check on its condition. I remember they were asked if they could get specific photos but they said they wouldn't have time to do that but we're intending to take very high resolution photos of every panel.

So there may well be some very good photos out there. 

Now the only problem is I can't remember who it was. It may be worth contacting the CWGC to ask if they have the photos or if they can tell you which members visited. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/08/2006 at 06:58, weejock said:

Hello to all. :D

Going through my pics the other day I suddenly remembered that I had pics that I took of the Basra War Memorial in May of 2003.

some of them show names from the ......

Highland Light Infantry

Royal Welch Fusiliers

Royal Army Service Corps

Royal Army Medical Corps

Army Veterinary Corps

Royal Army Chaplains Corp

Durham Light Infantry

and the North Staffordshire Regiment.

I only wish I had more time to get them all !!

let me know if anyone requires a look

post-5527-1155189404.jpg

Have you a photograph of the Royal Army Medical Corp Private Hunter Wall please ?

• 11 months later...
On 10/08/2006 at 06:58, weejock said:

Hello to all. :D

Going through my pics the other day I suddenly remembered that I had pics that I took of the Basra War Memorial in May of 2003.

some of them show names from the ......

Highland Light Infantry

Royal Welch Fusiliers

Royal Army Service Corps

Royal Army Medical Corps

Army Veterinary Corps

Royal Army Chaplains Corp

Durham Light Infantry

and the North Staffordshire Regiment.

I only wish I had more time to get them all !!

let me know if anyone requires a look

post-5527-1155189404.jpg

Hello have you got a photo please of Royal Army Medical Corps looking for Private Hunter Wall RAMC

• Admin

@bobpike should be able  to help. 

55 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

@bobpike should be able  to help. 

Thank you I have sent him a message :-)