Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BASRA WAR MEMORIAL

weejock

Hello to all. :D

Going through my pics the other day I suddenly remembered that I had pics that I took of the Basra War Memorial in May of 2003.

some of them show names from the ......

Highland Light Infantry

Royal Welch Fusiliers

Royal Army Service Corps

Royal Army Medical Corps

Army Veterinary Corps

Royal Army Chaplains Corp

Durham Light Infantry

and the North Staffordshire Regiment.

I only wish I had more time to get them all !!

let me know if anyone requires a look

post-5527-1155189404.jpg

Hi weejock,

Be very grateful for copies of Arthur Burt and Arthur Lowe, both North Staffs. A Pal did get me copies , but I have mislaid the jpeg files for these two.

Hi weejock,

Be very grateful for copies of Arthur Burt and Arthur Lowe, both North Staffs. A Pal did get me copies , but I have mislaid the jpeg files for these two.

Ive sent you a PM regarding pics.

• 9 months later...

weejock,

I hope that I'm not too late on this subject. I would be interested to see a copy of the North Staffordshire Regiment panel as my Great Grandfather is commemorated on it. His name was George Forrester and he was posted missing on 21 April 1916.

Thanks,

Kev Loughnane

If anyone has further photos of this memorial or the name Pte Henry Ayres (2nd Bn leicestershire Rgt) I would greatly appreciate them.

Andy

Weejock, can you say where is it located in Basra? Google Earth-pics of the area are razorsharp (courtesy US Army :lol: ) so it should be visible.

Roel

I thought that I heard somewhere that it was in Basra but was moved by the Saddam government to a desert location at some point. It certainly looks like a desert location from the photos.

Excellent photo by the way.

Jon

Jon

It's out in the sand between Basra and Nasiriyah. I've not viewed Google but apparently it is easily seen on it.

Greg

Guest KevinEndon

I can confirm that the Iraqis have smashed the memorials to bits and 90% of the memorial lies in ruins.

Tafski may well confirm this when he finds this post.

Kevin

Did you photograph the panel with Second Lt. William Houghton, 11th Royal Welsh Fusiliers? I entrusted the task to a former pupil of mine, now an officer in the RRF, who was in Iraq last year but for some reason he let me down. Claims he was too busy. You can't get the staff....

weejock,

I hope that I'm not too late on this subject. I would be interested to see a copy of the North Staffordshire Regiment panel as my Great Grandfather is commemorated on it. His name was George Forrester and he was posted missing on 21 April 1916.

Thanks,

Kev Loughnane

GOOD NEWS KEV.

I have pics of your great grandfathers name on the memorial. please PM me for details.

weejock,

Excellent work. Thanks very much for the pictures. I suspect that I will never see the Basra Memorial in person, but now (thanks to you) I at least have a photograph of my Great grandfather's memorial panel.

Very much appreciated,

Kev Loughnane

WEEJOCK

I was just browsing the Forum and thought that your offer was great.I know that some of my Bristol boys are on this memorial,their names,not them.I printed off the picture of the entire memorial,because I thought it looked nice and might be useful.I then looked at my last soldier that I had put into my data- base,I do this on auto pilot all too often,and,guess what?He is on the basra memorial.I was going to get a tea or coffee,BUT,I must put him in,just in case he is on your list.Fingers crossed.

NAME:- MAGNIAC,ERSKINE

REGIMENT:-27TH PUNJABIS

UNIT:-COMMANDING

DATE OF DEATH:-28/04/1917.

GRAVE/MEMORIAL REFERENCE:-PANEL 54.

Well thats him.If you do have the picture,then I will be eternallt gratefull if you could let me have a,digital copy of the same.

I look forward to hearin from you.

CHEERS FOR NOW.

JOHM FLOOK.

The South Africa War Graves Project requires:

ALLPASS, Captain, SAMUEL ROSSLEE, 185th Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry). Died of wounds 21st January 1917. Age 41. Son of John Savage Allpass and Mary Elizabeth Allpass, of Market St. East, George, Cape Province, South Africa. Panel 41

Name: BROWN, HAROLD MONTAGU

Initials: H M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: East Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/04/1916

Additional information: Son of William Charles and Catherine Cecilia Ellen Brown, of "Penchirche," Oaklands Rd., Bromley, Kent. Educated at Uppingham and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. B.A. A Chartered Accountant.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 19.

COPELAND, Lieutenant Colonel, RUPERT RAMSAY, DSO MC, 39th Bty. Royal Field Artillery. 7th July 1920. Age 27. Son of Maj. and Mrs. H. P. Ramsay Copeland, V.D., of Sydney, New South Wales. Born at Sydney. Educated at Wellington College, Berks., and R.M.A., Woolwich. Gazetted July, 1913, proceeded to France Aug., 1914, and served through-out the Great War. On War Memorial of King Edward VII School, Johannesburg. Panel 3 and 60.

EDWARDS, Second Lieutenant, ALFRED JOSEPH, 3rd Bn. Royal Scots attd. 6th Bn. The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. 10th April 1916. Age 20. Son of Alfred Egbert Edwards, of 457, West St, Durban, Natal, South Africa; husband of Marie Louise Edwards (nee Aubry), of Avenue McMahon, Paris. Panel 6.

JOHNSON, Private, BERNARD ANGUS, T/1582. 5th Bn. The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 21st January 1916. Age 31. Son of George Lindsay Johnson, M.D., F.R.C.S., F.R.S. (Berlin and Italy), and Susan Schreiber, his wife. Volunteered from South Africa. Panel 6

Name: JOHNSON, HOWARD FIFE

Initials: H F

Regiment: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/03/1917

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 6.

Name: MAPLES, WILLIAM EVELYN

Initials: W E

Regiment: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Secondary Regiment: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: Commanding 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/12/1916

Additional information: Son of the late William and Elizabeth Maples, of "The Hut", Ashtead, Surrey.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 20.

Name: MARSHALL, EVELYN SAFFERY

Initials: E S

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Unit Text: "D" Coy. 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/04/1916

Additional information: Son of Canon and Mrs. E. T. Marshall, of 2, Old Town, Stratford-on-Avon. Also served at Gallipoli.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9.

STRACHAN, Lance Serjeant, RICHARD, 5475. 5th Bn. Wiltshire Regiment. 29th March 1917. Age 38. Son of Mrs. Robert Strachan, of 6, Duke St., Cape Town, South Africa; husband of Helen M. Strachan, of 1, Harriet St., Dundee. Panel 30 and 64.

Rhodesia Other Units

NORTH, Captain, HUGH FREDERIC, 1st/4th Bn. Hampshire Regiment. Killed in action at Umm-el-Hanna 21st January 1916. Age 28. Son of George Frederic and Kate North, of Stratfield Saye, Hants. Educated at Summerfields, Oxford and Wellington College. Assistant Native Commissioner in Northern Rhodesia with the British South Africa Company. Panel 21 and 63.

Sure would be nice if you had them.

Ralph McLean

Hello,

For "my boys" (Old boys of Oundle School)...

Is there any possibility that you have Panel 5

PLUNKETT R.F.D. Lt 1/5 Gurkhas KIA 6/9/18

Panel 31 or 64

MILNE D.F. Lt Manchesters KIA 5/11/17

Panel 43 or 65

SCARTH A.E. Capt Corps of Guides CO 53 Sikhs KIA 22/4/17

I have also printed off a copy of your photo of the Memorial - so many thanks for that even if I can't get the names

Will willingly pay for a disc of same if this is easier for you

Regards, Jacksmum

Hello,

For "my boys" (Old boys of Oundle School)...

Panel 31 or 64

MILNE D.F. Lt Manchesters KIA 5/11/17

I have also printed off a copy of your photo of the Memorial - so many thanks for that even if I can't get the names

Will willingly pay for a disc of same if this is easier for you

Regards, Jacksmum

Jacksmum,

MILNE D.F. Lt Manchesters

post-13002-1181560300.jpg

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 'Weejock',

That's a great offer for these photos. I am looking for names of local men who are on the Basra Memorial, and would be grateful for any photos if that's ok with you. I have pasted them below, and would be very grateful for any of them.

Many thanks,

Steve.

Private Ansell, Thomas 14340 Welsh Regiment-1/4th Battalion (Carmarthen)

Private Archbold, James 16668 South Lancashire Regiment-6th Battalion

Private Bateman, James 16170 Welsh Regiment-8th Battalion (Pioneers)

Private Benyon, William Richard 12972 South Wales Borderers-4th Battalion

Private Davies, John Morgan 27361 Welsh Regiment-8th Battalion (Pioneers)

Sergeant Davies, Thomas 58684 Royal Field Artillery-66th Battery

Corporal Hopkins, Arthur 12146 Royal Welsh Fusiliers-8th Battalion

Private Hughes, William Hugh 45029 Welsh Regiment-8th Battalion (Pioneers)

Private Jenkins, Samuel 48710 Northumberland Fusiliers-2nd Battalion

Private Jennings, Ralph Vincent 27348 Manchester Regiment-1st Battalion

Private John, Benjamin 27111 South Wales Borderers-4th Battalion

Private Jones, John 27774 South Wales Borderers-4th Battalion

Private Mackintee, Andrew 11643 Welsh Regiment-8th Battalion (Pioneers)

Sergeant Morris, Albert Edward 11661 Royal Welsh Fusiliers-8th Battalion

Lance Corporal Rees, Thomas 12681 South Wales Borderers-4th Battalion

Private Smith, Thomas 9475 Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry-1st Battalion

Private Stone, John Frederick 12962 South Wales Borderers-4th Battalion

Private Thomas, John 14106 South Wales Borderers-4th Battalion

Private Vaughan, Edwin 33694 South Wales Borderers-4th Battalion

Lance Corporal Williams, John Cloister 30559 Welsh Regiment-8th Battalion (Pioneers)

Weejock,

Wonderful photograph of the memorial on your first posting, please could I have a copy?

I am looking for:

Pte George Prout 1204 1st/6th Bn Devonshires kia 08/03/1916 Panel 11 Basra memorial

If you have a photo that would be lovley, but if not may I use your main photo. I'll pm my email address.

Regards, Sandra

Is there any possibility of finding the photographs of Panels 52 and 67 of Basra Memorial (51st Sikhs)? If yes, I will be even more grateful.

Thanks

Mr Kang

Is there any possibility of finding the photographs of Panels 52 and 67 of Basra Memorial (51st Sikhs)? If yes, I will be even more grateful.

Thanks

Mr Kang

My great grandfather

Name: THAKUR SINGH

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: 51st Sikhs (Frontier Force)

Date of Death: 01/08/1916

Service No: 1229

Additional information: Son of Sundar Singh, of Kang, Nakodar, Jullundar, Punjab.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 52 and 67.

Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

weejock - Any chance that you have photos of panels 16 & 62 (South Wales Borderers)?

Wesley

What about the 5th Buffs (East Kent Regiment)? Any photos of these panels gladly accepted.

Thinking of all the brave British soldiers still fighting in Iraq and Afganistan...

Very many thanks for the photo of "my" man's name (D.F. Milne)..something I didn't expect to see for many years, so it is much appreciated.

Sorry I haven't thanked you before now, but have been busy with visitors....relatives from Australia, and bless me, THEY hogged the computer. keeping up with all their news!

Well, done, lovely photos

Jacksmum