Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander (Aleck) Mackenzie, NZEF

alliekiwi

I got the Right and Proper service record from Trentham today, at no extra charge (I pointed out the original one they sent me was not correct and didn't fit with the information I gave them, although I did say it was an easy mistake to make considering the number of Alexander Mc/Mackenzies floating around the place).

Interestingly, they've included a couple of sheets of information which are useful. The first outlines WW1 medals, describing them, what they were awarded for and when. Then there is a list of commonly used abbreviations on the WW1 files. Lastly a sheet about 'A guide to reading Military Personnel Records' which also suggests other places to go to for information.

One snippet is about Medical records, which leads me to wonder if those relating to WW1 personnel are still kept separately at Archives New Zealand - which was the case with Uncle Jock, in that when I requested further information due to the slimness of his file they found it in the other section.

Anyway, bits of info I intend to keep to hand for reference!

Allie

Allie if you are near Auckland, you might like to check out the 1917 War diary of William Roland Ahier at the Auckland War Memorial Museum Library. MS 2004/76.

There is a description of the action in which Jock Mackenzie was wounded and a record of his death in the diary of William (Dick) Ahier. Bill Ahier kept the diary from January 1917 until his death in France. Bert Clinch wrote below the last entry made by Ahier: 'Dick was killed about 9 oclock at night at Neuve Eglise, 5/5/17'. There are three images of pages of the diary attached to this record. The inside front cover, a sample entry on 5 February 1917, and the final entry on 5 May 1917, the day Dick was killed in action. The diary was found in a house in Mt Albert, Auckland. The diary is held in the Museum Library. Son of Alexander and Catherine MacKenzie of Lochbroom, Ross-shire, Scotland.

Award Circumstances: London Gazette, I1 June 1917, p5429, Rec No 673: "He enlisted as a private soldier in the Main Body, NZEF in August 1914, landed on Gallipoli on April 1915, and gallantly and efficiently carried out his duties as an NCO and later as an Officer and Platoon Commander from that date without a single days break, until he bought of the last party of his Battalion from Rhododendron Ridge at the evacuation on 19.12.15. During that time he took part in the landing at ANZAC, the attack at Achi Baba, a raid at Quinn's post, and the advance on Chunuk Bair. In the raid (16 officers and 510 other ranks) south of Armentieres on 21.2.16 he commanded his Company and led them in the successful assault on the enemy front line. During the withdrawal he was fatally wounded by enemy shellfire. He was one of the most gallant and respected Officers of this Battalion."

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/ge...x?DatasetID=264

Thanks, Kooky. :)

Thankfully, the Museum library opens again tomorrow after being closed for several weeks due to some sort of renovations. So I'm hoping to get in there sometime soon to see it. I phoned last week to see if I need to book a time to view it - in case they need to know in advance to get it from wherever it is hidden away - and the person I spoke with had never heard of it, even when I quoted therefence number. :blink:

I must say, though, that I'm a little wary of reading it in some ways. I know he died of wounds, and I know that hurts. But sometimes you just don't want to know the details... That probably sounds a little pathetic.

Allie

I must say, though, that I'm a little wary of reading it in some ways. I know he died of wounds, and I know that hurts. But sometimes you just don't want to know the details... That probably sounds a little pathetic.

Allie

I can understand your reservation, it's a very emotional journey researching the casualties of war.

Cheers, Diane

Very much so.

Yesterday I watched my seven-year-old son rushing around at a birthday party, dressed up as a Knight. I couldn't help but think 'I hope no-one is ever researching his war record, the way I'm doing about my relatives'.

Allie

• 13 years later...

Hey mate, I know this was years ago now but I have info on Alec. I've also spent a few years trying to get information since Alec is my Great Grandfather.

From my understanding Alec:

Posted to Trentham on outbreak of war,

Deployed to Gallipoli with WMR,

Wounded Chunuk Bair 9 AUG,

Sent on hospital ship to Egypt,

I think this is where he got sick??

Redeployed to western front to see his brother, Jock.

I think the redeployment was with (Otago?) Infantry. Not with mounted rifles in Passchendaele.

Jock died before Alec arrived,

Alec wounded Bellevue Spur 12 OCT,

Family story is that he was rescued by monks clearing the battlefield. My Grandad wrote a few books of poetry on the war and I have a few pieces of information collected. My Great-Grandad and I were posted to the same camp in Trentham before I joined Infantry. Not sure who you are but we're distantly related. I'd love to hear from you if you have more info.