Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

work experience

trenchwalker

dear all

I am currently taking a gnvq in tourism and leasure. hoorah!!

the thing is you have to take a job placement in something im intrested in.

so the great war it is.

i cant work at the place i am working now the royal gunpowder mills as i did that last. i have tryed the IWM with no responce can any one else offer any ideas.

many thanks

martin

Martin

Pardon my ignorance but where are the gunpowder mills? I couldn't work out from that piece of info whereabouts in the country you want work. I kind of assumed London or within commuting distance from the mention of the IWM, but did you mean Duxford?

Might be able to think of something if I knew how far you are able to travel.

Good luck anyway.

Garth

sorry.

i live in enfield north london.

but if any one has any suggestion the school has got a small sum of money alercated to each student for travel expences which no one gos for any way.

Martin

You could try the IWM at Duxford. I know that they are always prepared to take on volunteers. Its not quite the same as work experience, and it may not be WW1, but if all else fails!

Or even try Firepower the RA museum at Woolwich; or do you dislike going south of the river?

Garth

Keep on the IWM, Duxford and National Army Museum. Don't write - they will receive 000s of written applications each year. Ring up or go on the internet and find out the name of the person who deals in placements or training (possibly someone in the human resouces department); ring them up, make an appointment to go and see them. Don't be fobbed off; you would like a meeting for however long they will give you - even if it is just ten minutes. It's harder to say 'no' to someone who is sitting on the other side of the desk; it's dead easy to write a standard reject letter to someone you have never met.

Research them before you go; make a list of reasons why you want to work for them - and only them. Even if they don't have anything for you, they may know someone who does. And you will get lots of useful information about what is happening in the museum world which will help you in future applications. Put yourself about a bit; get your face known.

Other points to consider: look for something in a related business like a regimental military museum. And try some of the tour operators. Apply to more than one organisation; have more than one iron in the fire. Finding a placement is a bit like winning a raffle - the more tickets you buy the more chances you have

Good luck - we are rooting for you.

:P thank you

im am at school now and have around about 20 adderess of place.

includeing the N.A.M ,london dungeons ,and tower of london.

many thanks

and if any one has more idea keep them coming my work ex is in febuary

May be mistaken, but don't the Middlesex Regt. have a small museum in Tottenham?

Good luck,

Steve.

Guest Steve Seaman
May be mistaken, but don't the Middlesex Regt. have a small museum in Tottenham?

The Middlesex Regt Museum closed down some years ago.The usual thing lack of finances.

Steve

its true the middex museum has moved i think some went to dover castle in the queens regiment museum.

also some has just been moved from the enfield legion and is being moved to the royal gunpowder mills next year :lol:

Does the placement have to be UK based?

Gwyn

if you can offer me one in france or belguim.

or turkey (i can always dream)

i have asked my teacher about it and she said it would be ok. :D

Martin

Gardening may not be your scene, but if it appeals maybe it would be worth contacting the CWGC to see if they have any vacancies to do work experience alongside gardners in some CWGC cemeteries abroad. Might be good for your horticultural skills, you would get to meet visitors to the battlefields and it would be a good opportunity to learn or improve your French (or better still Turkish)!

Tim

Martin

Somewhere else you might consider trying is the PRO at Kew. I daresay that if you were to get a fortnight there the members of this forum would be happy to keep you busy! :D

Garth

Hi Martin

I'm not in a position to offer anyone any work experience, unfortunately, but I thought it might help if you were able to consider mainland Europe as well as UK.

I'll have a think about suggestions.

Gwyn

With regards to Tim's gardening suggestion. I have a garden. Each time the "G" word is mentioned, I get a terrible attack of the staggers. If you are considering a job in this area, I will be happy to give all the experience you need, in return for which I will converse with you about WW1 all day.

Good luck with your search for a placement.

Terry Reeves

Commnonwealth war graves do community service... mainly cleaning heastomes and horticulture...

based Leamington Spa... 01926 330137.. they will sort you out with your local burials

John

;) gardening

sound brilliant my dad want me to be a gardener

woooooo arrrrrrrr

i may go for dat.

Sadly I think you will find that CWGC do not take on 'volunteers' for overseas work... for all sorts of reasons but largely because of local employment law, I suspect (especially in France).

;) gardening...sound brilliant my dad want me to be a gardener

You are in a very nice garden in your Pals Album photo. The CWGC offers careers in gardening and structural work in its cemeteries and memorials.

Another idea is to try your local Royal British Legion. Maybe they could arrange a placement in one of their offices, or with another charity such as the Army Benevolent Fund or Soldiers, Sailors and Air Forces Association. I know its not quite leisure and tourism (though the RBL do arrange tours for relatives), but any experience is good experience, and it would fulfil your preference for something military.

well as i have just found out from my teacher most of the jobs in tourism and leasure arnt anything to do with it anyway. :blink:

but i dont want to be stacking shelfs in tescos.

Guest Pete Wood
but i dont want to be stacking shelfs in tescos.

What's wrong with that? It's a honest living.

I did that job for a few weeks when I left school - as I knew I was about to join the army.

Once issued with my green uniform, I used the skills I had acquired at the supermarket to.... stack shelves with blankets.

Hmmm. On second thoughts, try the gardening idea.