Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with decoding of Medal Card badly needed!

Guest cheshirepal

Guest cheshirepal

Could anyone please assist me with deciphering the Medal Card of Lance Serg. BERTRAM PARTING MM, who is a relative of mine? Thanks in advance! :D

post-13274-1152019508.jpg

His substantive rank was a Corporal in the Lancashire Fusiliers - number 37328

He was awarded the Victory and British War medals, and by the absence of a date of entry to a theatre of war, it is probobaly he first got to France from mid-late 1916 at the earliest.

The numbers directly next to the medal lines reference where his details in the actual medal roll can be found. This will give useful bits of info on units served in during the war too.

The medals were returned (probably undeliverable). the number after the "Ret'd" denotes how they were dealt with under the King' Regulations)

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the KR to say what this one says. check this section of the LLT out:

MICs

I'm not sure what the date relating to 1922 is, but in others I have seen this can occasionally relate to a date of leaving the army, but I wouldn't stand by this, not having done any other research on the soldier, as it could equally relate purely to the return of the medals.

There should also be a separate MM medal card which will give dates of gazetting for the medal, and very, very occasionally details of how won. However, the use of chasing this bit of research through would be to see which unit he was with when he won the MM and from there refer to the war diaries for any further information.

Hope this is of help

doogal

The KR reference is to the return (Retd) of the Medals for adjustment (Adt). i.e. something (name, number?) was not correct. The two dates may be the date they received the medals back and then sent them out again (though there is rather a gap between the two)

Steve.

KR 1743 of 1912, refers to the disposal of unclaimed medals which were held for 10 years before being broken up. At a guess, I would say they were originally unable to be delivered in 1922 but at some stage after that he wrote to the War Office, claimed them, and then in 1923 returned them to have some detail or other adjusted.

Terry Reeves

Guest cheshirepal

First of all cheers doogal, steve and terry! :D Your posts were all very informative! Just wonder what has happened two the other medals, as only the MM was awarded to him personally, for he was killed in Action on 20th April 1918. :( But I've already stated all the info on him I've figured out so far in another thread and that is here.

Andre