Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map of the Bald Hill area of Israel

stevenbecker

Wroclaw

G'day mate

If you want a copy of the whole Barton story regarding the tombstone etc - it was deposited in the AWM as a file - email me and I will send it to you.

goodelyfe at hotmail dot com

Cheers

Bill

Yes, that would be great. I've sent you an empty e mail.

regards

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi

My first entry!

I grew up in the area, walking my dog almost every day in the agricultural enclave south of Peta-Tikva. The original location of the stone in memory of Barton Briton Templer was west of hill 94, between 87 and 86. About 50meters south of the stone there was a concentration of German and Turkish ammunition, an uncommon finding. (Turkish made bullets had manufactures inscriptions in Arabic letters). The area of the water reservoirs on hill 94 was covered with war leftovers, English bullets in one case a complete magazine box parts of shells and shrapnel-steel-balls. During the 90's the stone was moved by someone into the south-eastern corner of the reservoirs fenced area and might be still there waiting to be re-discovered.

(Something for the locals: the mysterious armored car near the stone was not from 48 but a 56 booty sold to farmers. The car planned for supplying guns did carry orange boxes for a short period, did not perform well and was abandoned).