Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

June MGWAT

spike10764

Gloria - that's way ahead. Top class.

Gloria,

If you can't draw rifles I don't know what that is in your drawing then!!!!!

Looks great to me.

Mandy

Kim,

I have apiece written some time ago from No-Mans Land but at the moment I cant find,

Mandy

Honest, in my reference pictures/photos the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield looks more proper a weapon than in my drawing... But thanks for the forgiveness :lol:

Gloria

Black and grey; they were the colours of death. Whispers of silvery fog swirled through the blackened stumps of trees, lifeless shortened limbs stretched heavenward in a silent plea. Grey water filled the bottom of shell holes, slimy glutinous mud formed their sides.

Wire, cruelly barbed, wove in and out of the landscape, its lengths tangled with splintered boards, pieces of uniform and decaying flesh.

A geyser of earth and water erupted where a shell landed, yards from men sheltering in a crater. The men’s faces were gaunt, stubble covering their cheeks and chins. Eyes, bloodshot and crusty, searched the gloom above, their ears listening for movement from the enemy trenches. Overhead, death travelled back and forth; each artillery spewing out all it could on enemy lines.

“Three days, three freezing, godforsaken, bloody days we’ve been here, stuck in front of our own lines,” muttered Timothy, his shivering hand grasping his bayonet.

An older man, silvered haired and ruddy faced, glanced at Timothy angrily.

“Aye, but you’re still alive, ain’t you?”

“Yes, and no thanks to any one. Got no ammo left, no food. That sniper over there,” he said, flinging his hand towards the Hun’s lines, “ he’s making sure we don’t go anywhere! We should have tried to get back last night. But, no, those bloody lights!”

“You’ve got your life, mate, that’s more than them’s got, “ growled the Sarge, savagely pointing towards a large mud covered shape that first looked to be a bundle of rags, but on closer inspection, appeared to have a bloody stump that was once a healthy leg, protruding from it. If one looked more closely again, one would see that it was not just one limb, but many; the remains of four men of their regiment.

Timothy shuddered, he dared not look at the pile of rags that had been his school mates. Together they had answered the call. Together they had trained, drank, whored, and fought. Now the school friends had been torn apart, literally, leaving Timothy the last remaining boy from that prestigious school that had turned out Prime Ministers, Scientists and famous sportsmen. Had made gentlemen out of raw, callow youths, who now lay in and on the piece of earth they called Ypres.

Drawing his knees up into his stomach, Timothy wrapped his arms around his body, trying to still his shivering, trying to imagine he was elsewhere, but the gnawing hunger in his gut, and the smell of decay and death, would not let him escape. He prayed for a dark night, he prayed for a heavy fog and no verey lights, and he prayed that his bullet torn legs would carry him back to his lines.

So moving, good on yeh mate.

Mandy

Fraid my artistic ability is somewhat blocked at the moment. As I can't come up with anything between the lines, can I submit a line of unknown heroes?

post-8834-1150669909.jpg

Photography is art as far as I'm concerned and that one conveys a lot to me and will probably get my vote.

Roger.

I'm not sure if multiple entries are permitted. If not then I apologize.

This is, perhaps, more appropriate for the "between the lines" subject. It's part of the railway in the tunnels underneath Vimy Ridge.

post-8834-1150714977.jpg

Jimothy,

Wonderful pictures. I don't know what is the policy about multiple entries, but let me tell you that I'll look forward for the pictures you post :)

Gloria

Great pics Jimothy, I really think the Vimy one is special. It's not that multiple pics aren't allowed, but some poor devil has to set up the poll at the months end and keeping entries to one (or at most two) per person makes the task easier- but of course we could have a dearth of entries -then no problem.....

Spike, thanks for that. I won't post any more pics under this thread for this month as there already seems to be a fair number of entries and I don't want to make life difficult for the individual who has to collate the entries.

Nice picture Soren- I'm amazed at the way you form your drawings out of shaded lines and get so much in them....

Always a harrowing sight... A great drawing!

Gloria

Not found it yet but dont have time to do another one as going away sunday for the week to the Somme, today i have to get everything ready and Saturday go out and buy what i dont have that i do need!

Sorry, but hopefully next time.

Mandy

the challange is to see how many PALS i can get!!!! is thaty ok with you Kim

Mandy

Lots of pics now, for those of us who cannot go! Please.

Yeah Mandy- lots of pics and maybe a Somme trip inspired MGWAT entry ;)