Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rank

jamesbow

My uncle joined the Navy in 1919 as a Stoker 2nd class. He was Stoker 1st class after 3 months and Acting Leading Stoker after 6 months. Made up to Leading Stoker after 18 months. He held this rank for the rest of his service including his call up at the time of the Munich crisis and again in 1939.

Yes, Stoker2 was totally unqualified, like a private, gunner, ordinary seaman or any other entry level rank. Usual minimum age was 18 (some Boys were made up to that rank earlier), which meant that most men had already got work experience by then in the navy the ranks below Stoker2 were boys.

Jack Cornwall VC started work at 13 became a navy Boy 2nd Class at 15 and Boy 1st Class and at sea when he was 16. He would have been an Ordinary Seaman next: the seaman/ communications equivalent of Stoker 2.

Wow Squirrel that was rapid promotion in the peacetime navy. What was his previous occupation?

Previous occupation was a baker so I would guess that he had experience in firing and feeding large bakery ovens which made the basics a lot easier to pick up.

Squirrel,

That does seem quick from Stoker to Leading Stoker the ‘Book’ says a minimum of Three years.

Regards Charles

Sorry for the late reply, just catching up.

I was surprised when I saw that on his record too; also a bit of a surprise that he stayed as Leading Stoker for the rest of his service in cruisers, then HMS Repulse and cruisers again. To Royal Fleet reserve in 1931.

Only went as far as Chatham in '38 and then again in '39 followed by service on destroyers out of Liverpool before being classed as Permanantly Unfit For Naval Service in late 1940; died in June 1941, probably of TB.

I have his photograph taken in uniform in August 1939 with an inscription to my grandmother.

I must say the stoker's manual hardly differed from the one we had in 1952, except we did 6 week's seamanship first, something they dont teach these days, at least I've seen little evidence of it, but we didnt hit many rocks when I was in, seems to be the in thing today.

As for the lubrication of Stoker's , the correct mixture was 2 parts water(yuk!) nd one part rum if you were a junior rate,(Neater's if you were an old soak like me). Small favour's were rewarded with "sipper's" larger favour's with "wets" and if you did something really favoursome "Gulper's". The administration of these rewards was observed very carefully in case the recipient got carried away. To have been awarded a whole tot you would probably have to been shown the "Golden Rivet" :blink::(

Len :ph34r:

oops!

sorry all,must have had one to many beers yesterday.i really meant to say:what is the equivalent rank in the army or airforce,i.e. corpral/sergeant

sorry for confusion (hic)many thanks jamesbow.btw would there be another set of records for him in the r.f.r. with his other no.

equivalent but junior to the military rank of corporal. It was only in the early 1970s that I believe it became a military rank, still junior though.

I bow to your naval knowledge, John, but in WW1 wouldn`t most stokers be actually shovelling coal? Or if not the stokers, then who did it in coal burners? Phil B

Agreed, but stokers also had many other parts of ship, steering gear, generators, shipwright's party etc.

When the RFR was mobilised all ratings reverted to being in the RN, so that's what's on his medals. He was still in the navy for his 7 years on reserve (automatically extended because of the war), he then probably remained in the reserve to qualify for the pension, earning his LSGC along the way. Does it say traced medal or traced med anywhere on his record?

I think the qualification for pension was as it it is now, 22 years reckonable service. i.e. RNR as now or RFR as then would count unless on active service. The RFR LSGC would be earnt along the way much the same way as a Territorial LS. Agree on the medal naming though.

Len, you must have a great constitution, I'm a 'grog' man myself now :( . Don't think I'd have liked to earn 'sandy bottoms' on your ship B)

Were RFR drafted to RND battalions? I was always of the understanding that they were RNVR. I stand to be corrected as usual :ph34r:

The 1914 naval contingent RND battalions were composed mostly of reservists, and they were drawn from the RFR, RNR and RNVR. It's easier to see that with the medal roll for the 1914 Star. How many remained in after the winter 14/15 reorganisation and how many were drafted in to make up the numbers it beyond my ken.