Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commander Patrick Harrington Edwards

Paul D Kendall

1 hour ago, Charlotte Edwards said:

I believe known as the bearded warrior.

He was described by Admiral of the Fleet Sir Roger Keyes ("The Naval Memoirs 1916-1918", p.221) as "a one-eyed bearded warrior".

Here is a quotation from 'The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918' by Deborah Lake (Pen and Sword, 2015). As Vindictive approached the Mole she was hit by several German shells:

'Captain Halahan, on the false deck below [the Royal Marines] was also dead. His deputy, Commander Edwards, was severely wounded in both legs. Two of his men took him below despite his urgent orders that he should be carried to a gangway so that he could land on the Mole. Within seconds, both Marine and bluejacket storming parties lost their senior officers'.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

• 3 months later...
On 01/06/2022 at 15:13, Acknown said:

Here is a quotation from 'The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918' by Deborah Lake (Pen and Sword, 2015). As Vindictive approached the Mole she was hit by several German shells:

'Captain Halahan, on the false deck below [the Royal Marines] was also dead. His deputy, Commander Edwards, was severely wounded in both legs. Two of his men took him below despite his urgent orders that he should be carried to a gangway so that he could land on the Mole. Within seconds, both Marine and bluejacket storming parties lost their senior officers'.

Acknown

Interesting quote. Thought you might be interested in reading it from Patrick's point of view. I've included an extract from his memoirs below. I also have his x rays from this particular injury but felt best not to spam them in to this thread. 

image.png.9e82694461ae967c14bf6dcb070a0222.png

image.png.0b8dd8068bd1583833dfe72df20cdb85.png