Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commander Patrick Harrington Edwards

Paul D Kendall

I am looking for any photos or information about Commander Patrick Harrington Edwards DSO and bar. I know that he was born in Wandsworth in 1875. Enlisting to join the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves on 1st October 1914 he saw action in Gallipoli in April 1915 with Howe Battalion, Royal Naval Division. A year later he was wounded during the final stages of the 1916 Somme Campaign at the Battle of Ancre in November 1916. He was again wounded during the Zeebrugge raid on 23rd April 1918. On recovering from his injuries at Zeebrugge he served in Russia with the Russian Allied Naval Brigade where he received DSO and bar.

Any information or leads would be appreciated.

Please contact me at: Paulkendall291@aol.com.

Kind regards

Paul

• 2 months later...

Paul

At NA KEW the RNVR Officer Alpha Card Index is at ADM337/111 (Dobie to Halder) and Officer Service records begin at ADM337/117 (from 1914) up to ADM337/1278 (from 1918 to 1922).

Good Luck.

Sotonmate

Dear Sotonmate,

Many thanks for your help. I have already obtained a copy of Commander Patrick Harrington Edwards service record from the Public Records Office. I am very pleased that you have looked at this forum thread and that fellow members are also looking. Hopefully in the near future information may appear that will lead me to his family and a photo of this brave man.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul,

Edwards gets three mentions in Douglas Jerrold's history of the RND

The Ancre you know about, but earlier on Gallipoli [see page 134] Jerrold states that he was also wounded at the IIIrd battle of Krithia on 4th June 1915

regards

Michael

Paul,

Edwards gets three mentions in Douglas Jerrold's history of the RND

The Ancre you know about, but earlier on Gallipoli [see page 134] Jerrold states that he was also wounded at the IIIrd battle of Krithia on 4th June 1915

regards

Michael

Michael,

Many thanks for your help. I do have a copy of Douglas Jerrold's History of the Royal Naval Division and I have noted that Patrick Harrington Edward's was wounded at the 3rd Battle of Krithia.

I am pleased that members are looking at this thread. Thank you so much for interest.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul, Edwards' original RND Record Card is held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum but you may have already obtained a copy from TNA. However, the FAAM also has the pay ledgers of RNVR officers, which may yield some additional information - even if it is only his tax bill!

H2

Horatio2

Many thanks for your help. I visited the Fleet Air Arms Museum archives last year. It is a very good archive. I was researching one of the sailors who took part in the Ostend raid and found amongst his attestation papers his references from previous employers. His descendants now live in New Zealand and they were thrilled when I sent them this information.

Kind regards

Paul

• 2 months later...
I am looking for any photos or information about Commander Patrick Harrington Edwards DSO and bar. I know that he was born in Wandsworth in 1875. Enlisting to join the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves on 1st October 1914 he saw action in Gallipoli in April 1915 with Howe Battalion, Royal Naval Division. A year later he was wounded during the final stages of the 1916 Somme Campaign at the Battle of Ancre in November 1916. He was again wounded during the Zeebrugge raid on 23rd April 1918. On recovering from his injuries at Zeebrugge he served in Russia with the Russian Allied Naval Brigade where he received DSO and bar.

Any information or leads would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul, Edwards `gongs'

EDWARDS Patrick H N/E Cdr. RNVR 79D128 Vindictive Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 N/E Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend M in D His services proved most valuable in the Training of the Naval Storming Party, with whom he volunteered to accompany in the attack on the Mole. He was severely wounded before "Vindictive" arrived alongside the Mole.

Another to follow ; sadsac / daf

• 3 months later...

I am looking for any photos or information about Commander Patrick Harrington Edwards DSO and bar. I know that he was born in Wandsworth in 1875. Enlisting to join the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves on 1st October 1914 he saw action in Gallipoli in April 1915 with Howe Battalion, Royal Naval Division. A year later he was wounded during the final stages of the 1916 Somme Campaign at the Battle of Ancre in November 1916. He was again wounded during the Zeebrugge raid on 23rd April 1918. On recovering from his injuries at Zeebrugge he served in Russia with the Russian Allied Naval Brigade where he received the DSO and bar.

Any information or leads would be appreciated. I would also like to get in contact with his descendants.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul ; EDWARDS Patrick Harrington - did he have a brother also Lt.Cdr RN Harrington D Edwards ???

EDWARDS P.H N/E Lt.Cdr. RNVR 80E071 N/E

General Sir C.C. Monro, KCB 13.07.16 G(M)

Gallipoli Operations 28.10.15 - 09.01.16 M in D N/E

and

EDWARDS Patrick H N/E Cdr. RN 86V186

Commanding Officer Russian Allied Naval Brigade Senior Naval Officer White Sea 24.05.19 G Russian Allied Naval Brigade August 1918 - February 1919 DSO

In recognition of his valuable services of the Commanding Officer of the Russian Allied Naval Brigade.

He has done very good work under very difficult circumstances.

Regards Sadsac

• 12 years later...

Hi Paul. Patrick Harrington Edwards was my GG Uncle, my Nan remembers her uncle as being a real character!  Patrick lost 2 brothers in the war Trevor Louis Edwards and Victor Lawrence Edwards. 

Thanks Judith 

• 7 months later...

He was also awarded a Russian Order of St Vladimir 4th Class with Swords and Bow. This was a Foreign Office File: FO 372/1322 Correspondence (Roumania, Russia, Serbia) 1919.

There is a note attached

Contains correspondence which sums up the post-Revolution approach on how to deal with Russian decorations, starting with those awarded by the Ataman of the Don Cossacks. The King initially agreed that they could be worn by the recipients whilst they continued to serve in Russia and a final decision would be taken later. It was subsequently decided that unrestricted permission to wear would be granted but that the awards would not be gazetted. At this time the British authorities were still awarding decorations to the Russians .

Sorry I have only just read this post.

Peter

• 1 year later...
On 22/02/2007 at 13:39, Paul D Kendall said:

I am looking for any photos or information about Commander Patrick Harrington Edwards DSO and bar. I know that he was born in Wandsworth in 1875. Enlisting to join the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves on 1st October 1914 he saw action in Gallipoli in April 1915 with Howe Battalion, Royal Naval Division. A year later he was wounded during the final stages of the 1916 Somme Campaign at the Battle of Ancre in November 1916. He was again wounded during the Zeebrugge raid on 23rd April 1918. On recovering from his injuries at Zeebrugge he served in Russia with the Russian Allied Naval Brigade where he received the DSO and bar.

Any information or leads would be appreciated. I would also like to get in contact with his descendants.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul

Appreciate this is a fairly old post but have just stumbled across it so not sure if you are still looking for info. 

I've had the privilege of reading Patrick's (my great great uncle and who I share a middle name with) memoirs and to say his service was interesting is an understatement. 

What has led to your interest in him?

Thanks

Simon 

Welcome, Simon. Paul hasn't visited the Forum since May 21, 2017. I'll send him a Private Message which he might or might not pickup.

Edited by Moonraker

5 hours ago, Spyker said:

Hi Paul

Appreciate this is a fairly old post but have just stumbled across it so not sure if you are still looking for info. 

I've had the privilege of reading Patrick's (my great great uncle and who I share a middle name with) memoirs and to say his service was interesting is an understatement. 

What has led to your interest in him?

Thanks

Simon 

Hi Simon,

I left the Great War Forum a few years ago, but just revised my password to respond to your message. Fifteen years ago I was contacting descendants of the Zeebrugge Raid for information for my book 'The Zeebrugge Raid 1918: The Finest Feat of Arms' which was published in 2008. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeebrugge-Raid-1918-Finest-Feat/dp/0752453327

Two pages are devoted to your great great uncle. I don;t use this forum , so here is my email address paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

Best wishes

Paul

13 hours ago, Paul D Kendall said:

Hi Simon,

I left the Great War Forum a few years ago, but just revised my password to respond to your message. Fifteen years ago I was contacting descendants of the Zeebrugge Raid for information for my book 'The Zeebrugge Raid 1918: The Finest Feat of Arms' which was published in 2008. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeebrugge-Raid-1918-Finest-Feat/dp/0752453327

Two pages are devoted to your great great uncle. I don;t use this forum , so here is my email address paul.kendall193@btinternet.com

Best wishes

Paul

Thanks Paul, will check it out. 

• 8 months later...

My Grandfather was a Patrick Harrington Edwards , I believe known as the bearded warrior.  Fought in the First World War  injured numerous times with him losing one eye and the sense of smell. He came back for more with his fellow soldiers giving him rotten eggs as a joke as he had no sense of taste with his prior injuries. ( this is a family story). He wrote a massive book on his experiences, thoughts etc we have never published it though. No would like to know any other information regarding my grandfather and his bravery. Thankyou

Charlotte - Welcome to the Forum. I assume that you are seeking more information about him. Is he the PHE who served in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve as a Commander? If so, there is a tale to tell.

Acknown

If you do not already have them, his RNVR and RND records are here:-

RNVR (ADM 337) - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7715826   and   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7723992

RND (ADM 339) -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7278466

He has several mentions in the RND divisional history (Jerrold) –   https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.523461/page/n5/mode/2up

DSO and Bar for Russia  1918-919 -  To be Companion of the Distinguished Service Order. Cdr. Patrick Harrington. Edwards, R.N.V.R. In recognition of his valuable services as Comdg. Officer of the Allied Naval Brigade in North Russia between August, 1918, and February, 1919, when he did very good work under very difficult circumstances.

rewards, on the recommendation of the General Officer Commanding- in-Chief, Allied Forces, for distinguished service in connection with Military Operations in Archangel, North Russia. Dated 11th November, 1919, unless otherwise stated: Awarded a Bar to the Distinguished Service Order.

Charlotte,

Of great interest is his part in the 1918 Zeebrugge Raid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeebrugge_Raid. In this operation, as the deputy to Capt Halahan who was in charge of the Naval invasion parties, he was severely wounded in both legs, but Mentioned in Dispatches for his valuable service (via Ancestry):

Zebrugge.JPG.07d862836839ea70b0edf6c44c9e5b05.JPG

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30807/supplement/8593

Other information websites: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/battles/yser/zeebrugge-ostend-raid.htmhttps://www.nmrn.org.uk/news-events/nmrn-blog/brief-history-zeebrugge-raid-1918. There are several other online sites with descriptions of the raid.

This late-war initiative failed to accomplish much and led to great loss of life, but it is a story worth reading about. 

Acknown

Edited by Acknown