Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Cameronians (scottish rifles} 1910-1933

barkalotloudly

An interesting book although not having a roll of honour or a list of decorations etc does have an index of names mentioned if anybody is interested?

regards John

An interesting book although not having a roll of honour or a list of decorations etc does have an index of names mentioned if anybody is interested?

regards John

Hi John

Any mention of Pte John Kilgour ,15754, 9th S.R, Died 28.07.15 Loos, No known grave.

Cheers

ColinH

no mention of your man sorry regards john

Any mention of Edwin PULLEN, 10204, Private, 2nd Battalion, Scottish Rifles, died 4th September 1912. May also be listed as Edward.?

Hi John,

I would be interested to hear if there is a mention of CSM Herbert Webster. He served with the Cameronians in India and the Boer war. Was called up as a reservist in 1914 and was with the first battalion under Captain (later General) Jack. He was out in France with the 1st Battalion in 1915 but came home due to his age. He was there at the formation of the 9th battalion and was acting RSM. He was later posted to an officer traing battalion as RSM. He is my wife's grandfather and any further info would be most welcome.

Ian

I suspect that there will be no mention, but, if you have time, any reference to my signature would be welcome.

Pte 16526 Thomas Roberts 10 SR, kia Loos - 25 Sep 15

TVM

Roxy

hello Roxy, no mention in this book, but there is a history of the 10th battalion{unfortunately i do not have it} which maybe a better bet

best regards John

Hello John,

What about me? Did I not ask nicely enough??

Pretty please........I'm also fluttering my eyelashes but you wont be able to see that. Don't let the beard put you off.

Ian

:) Hello,

Is there any mention of a 3018 Band Corporal Charles P French who served in the 2nd Bn SR's in the Boer War, and then later served as Pte 20690 2nd Scottish Rifles in the First War ?

I would also be keen to hear if there is any mention of 9584 Sgt. Edward A W Lonergan of the 1st battalion C1914. He was later posted to the 14th HLI and died in 1916 :(

Many thanks for your time,

Stewart

Hello John,

What about me? Did I not ask nicely enough??

Pretty please........I'm also fluttering my eyelashes but you wont be able to see that. Don't let the beard put you off.

Ian

:lol: I'm fluttering my eyelashes too... and I don't have a beard!!!! please pretty please can you check mine too? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Is there a mention of Todd Eaglesham who was awarded a MM in December 9th 1916 and was KIA in March of 1918?

Thanks

John Todd

• 5 weeks later...

Just bumping this back to the top in the hopes that Barkalotloudly may begin to bark :D

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am afraid no mention of your man , i far as i am aware there is no separate printed history of the two battalions you mention him serving in, {not great war}

regards John

[considering the numbers who served in the cameronians this particular book is more of an overview however there are further battalion histories available}

• 2 months later...

regards John

don't know why i missed this thread before. any mention of my signature. alfred watson, started off in1st. then 2nd. and finally 5/6th battalions?

cheers

steve

• 1 month later...

regards John

Interesting!

Any mention of 39323 Sydney Griffiths?

Mappy Christmas

John,

His death is mentioned in the book but not his MM i'm afraid.

Page 278-279:

'One of the outstanding n.c.o.'s killed was 13493, Serjeant T. Eaglesham, M.M., the provost-serjeant, who had been with the 10th Battalion from it's formation.'

He isn't mentioned in the main text of the 10th Bn history, although he does appear in the Honours and Awards index, and the Regimental Roll of Honour.

If you want a photocopy of the pages from the Regimental History I quoted, p.m. your address and i'll send them on.

Barrie

P.S. sorry for hijacking the thread.

Hi John

Is there any mention of Benjamin Macleod from Sutherland grasping at straws here :lol::lol:

Regards

Allan

regards John

• 5 weeks later...

My great uncle was Lt Daniel Martin Taylor B Company 1/7th Scottish Rifles. He joined up in 1912 and died at the Battle of Gully Ravine, Gallipoli, on 28th June 1915. I looked at the War Diary at the National Archives but he is not mentioned. I think he may be in the Regimental History but have not seen a copy. An article in The Gallipolian refers to him an the other three subalterns from B Company (Lt W Brown, 2 Lt J W MacLay, and 2 Lt A Duff) being killed whilst being led by Capt Hutchison but goes into no further detail. The attached is a photo of my great uncle with three other officers at Grangemouth shortly before he sailed. I would guess that they were those mentioned as being in the same Company but that is assumption. Are there any group/individual photos of 1/7th (7th) battalion out there, or further information concerning my great uncle that would assist me find out more and identify those shown in the photograph?

My great uncle was Lt Daniel Martin Taylor B Company 1/7th Scottish Rifles. He joined up in 1912 and died at the Battle of Gully Ravine, Gallipoli, on 28th June 1915. I looked at the War Diary at the National Archives but he is not mentioned. I think he may be in the Regimental History but have not seen a copy. An article in The Gallipolian refers to him an the other three subalterns from B Company (Lt W Brown, 2 Lt J W MacLay, and 2 Lt A Duff) being killed whilst being led by Capt Hutchison but goes into no further detail. The attached is a photo of my great uncle with three other officers at Grangemouth shortly before he sailed. I would guess that they were those mentioned as being in the same Company but that is assumption. Are there any group/individual photos of 1/7th (7th) battalion out there, or further information concerning my great uncle that would assist me find out more and identify those shown in the photograph?

yes he is mentioned , lost his life at Gulley ravine along with the others you mentioned , there is a detailed account of the attack along with a map showing where it took place, i can try and send you the details if you wish,

best regards John