Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leinster Regiment - Lookups Offered

michaellewis

Guest patcorr

I am looking for some more information on a Great-Uncle of mine. Pte. David Corr, 20168. Of the 1st Bn Leinster Regiment. He died on the 17th October 1918 aged 23. Son of Patrick and Mary Corr, Ballybur, Cuffesgrange, Co. Kilkenny. Apparently he was at Gallipoli where he was injured, evacuated to Egypt. He is buried in Deir El Balah war cemetery in Palestine.

• 1 month later...
I have a book detailing the history of the Leinster Regiment in the Great War and am happy to do lookups.

Could you take a look for :

Pte.Ernest Hurkett served Leinster Regiment 2nd Battalion Regiment Number 1253

Ernest was awarded the Military medal in 1918 for srvices in France. I dont know what he was awarded this medal for. I am trying to find out all information.

Any information appreciated.

Thank You

John Hurkett

j.hurkett@btinternet.com

I beleive Ernest Hurkett was infact part of the 6th Bat. His mic states he entered 2b balkans on 9.7.15 which is the date the 6th landed atLemnos.

If he was wounded and transferred to the 2nd bat is still a mystery to me until i can get to kew(if his records survived)but his mic mentions no transfer nor any renumbering.

His mm was gazzeted 23.2.18 so (thanks to other members) proberbly he earnt it in Palestine( Jerusalem )IF he remained in the 6th, although his mm mic says 2nd bat. maybe its a mistake.

Hope this helps.

I beleive Ernest Hurkett was infact part of the 6th Bat. His mic states he entered 2b balkans on 9.7.15 which is the date the 6th landed atLemnos.

If he was wounded and transferred to the 2nd bat is still a mystery to me until i can get to kew(if his records survived)but his mic mentions no transfer nor any renumbering.

His mm was gazzeted 23.2.18 so (thanks to other members) proberbly he earnt it in Palestine( Jerusalem )IF he remained in the 6th, although his mm mic says 2nd bat. maybe its a mistake.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------

I wrote to the Ministry of defence 1n 1983 : Here are the details of this letter:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We regret that no records relating tp the military service of 1253 private Ernest Hurkett - Leinster Regiment in the British Army during the 1914/18 war can now be traced. Unfortunatley a large number of records of soldiers who served in the perion 1914 - 1920 were totally distroyed by enemy air action 1n 1940 and it is very probable that the records of the above named may be amoung them.

The only information now available has been obtained from the Medal Rolls which gave the following details

Served 6th then 2nd Battaloins Leinster Regiment

Served Balkans

Released to Class "z" Reserve 1/3/19

Medals : 1914/15 Star - British War Medal - Victory Medal

With regard to the Leinster Regiment headquarters - and a possible visit - you are advised that the regiments was disbanded in 1922 and that all records are now held by this office

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document reference: 83/33633/cs/®2b/1

Dated 10th August 1983

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by John Hurkett - Cornwall -11th August 2006

Hi Mike

If you are still willing to do a check up, be very grateful if there is any mention of 2/Lt Horace Grant Hickson 6th Battalion KIA Gallipoli 6-12 August. I have a pretty good idea of the action they were involved in but am always looking for more. I do have a terrific picture of him if you keep/collect such things for Leinster men?

Cheers

Steve

Interested in Pte John O'Brien (7981) 2nd Bn who was killed 20/10/1914 who is on Burntisland War Memorial. Don't think he will be mentioned by name but anything on the day he was killed?

Captain A B Pratt MC - originally a drill sgt in the coldstream guards - transferred to worcs and then into leinsters around 1917

any details appreciated

• 3 weeks later...
I am looking for some more information on a Great-Uncle of mine. Pte. David Corr, 20168. Of the 1st Bn Leinster Regiment. He died on the 17th October 1918 aged 23. Son of Patrick and Mary Corr, Ballybur, Cuffesgrange, Co. Kilkenny. Apparently he was at Gallipoli where he was injured, evacuated to Egypt. He is buried in Deir El Balah war cemetery in Palestine.

Hi Pat,

firstly, my apologies for the long delay in replying. Unfortunately, duty has called me elsewhere recently.

Your Great-Uncle is not mentioned by name in the book. The Leinsters 1st Bn spent the month of October 1918 'training and doing various work' to quote from the book. The previous month however, they had been engaged in a major battle against the Turks in Egypt. This was the final battle before an armistice was signed with the Turks ending operations in this theatre. It is possible that your Great-Uncle was wounded then, and died of his wounds in October.

SDGW shows him as being born at Danesfort, Co Kilkenny, and enlisting at Kilkenny. He also previously served as No 100348 in the Royal Field Artillery.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Could you take a look for :

Pte.Ernest Hurkett served Leinster Regiment 2nd Battalion Regiment Number 1253

Ernest was awarded the Military medal in 1918 for srvices in France. I dont know what he was awarded this medal for. I am trying to find out all information.

Any information appreciated.

Thank You

John Hurkett

j.hurkett@btinternet.com

Hi John,

My apoligies for the delay in replying.

Unfortunately, there is no mention of Pte Hurkett in the book.

Regards

Mike

Dear Mike,

Could you possibly have a look for any mention of a CAPTAIN JK DUCAT? He was a former pupil of Winchester College, where I work, and our records indicate that he was a Captain in the Leinster Regiment and that he died of his wounds on July 25th 1924 (yes, 1924). But we don't know what battalion he was with, or how or when he was wounded. I'd be grateful for ANY information about him. All I have is the following:

James Kenneth Ducat, born July 18th 1890, Winchester College 1902-1907. He was the son of Major-General Cyril Hugh Pennycuick Ducat and Winifrede Ducat (née Howard), of Hazleby, Newbury. He died a week after his thirty-fourth birthday.

He is not included on our College War Memorial (though one chap who died in similar circumstances in 1923 is) and I'd like to get him added if I can get enough supporting evidence. We've just added two dead from 1916 who had been overlooked for eighty years. We held a short ceremony today in their memory.

Thanks,

Shaun

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Pat,

firstly, my apologies for the long delay in replying. Unfortunately, duty has called me elsewhere recently.

Your Great-Uncle is not mentioned by name in the book. The Leinsters 1st Bn spent the month of October 1918 'training and doing various work' to quote from the book. The previous month however, they had been engaged in a major battle against the Turks in Egypt. This was the final battle before an armistice was signed with the Turks ending operations in this theatre. It is possible that your Great-Uncle was wounded then, and died of his wounds in October.

SDGW shows him as being born at Danesfort, Co Kilkenny, and enlisting at Kilkenny. He also previously served as No 100348 in the Royal Field Artillery.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry aboutmy delay in responding, had to get married so things were put on the back burner! I did not know he had served in the Royal Field Artillery. Thanks very much for that. Any more news or information is always gladly received!

Pat

• 2 months later...
I have a book detailing the history of the Leinster Regiment in the Great War and am happy to do lookups.

GREAT TO SEE SOMEONE INTERESTED IN THE LEINSTERS.

I AM HOPING TO GO TO YPRES NEXT YEAR TO TRACE MY GRANDFATHERS STEPS WHILE HE SERVED

WITH THE 2ND LEINSTERS BETWEEN NOV 1914 AND MAY 1916.

I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD SUGGEST ANY PLACES THAT I SHOULD GO TO IN ORDER TO MAXIMISE

MY TRIP.

I WILL BE TRAVELLING FROM AUSTRALIA ALTHOUGH I AM IRISH AND HOPE TO GO THERE FOR A FEW DAYS.

HE SERVED UNDER CAPTAIN HITCHCOCK AND IS MENTIONED IN HIS BOOK "STAND TO".

HOPE YOU CAN HELP.

IF ANY INFO E MAIL TO jfkbrown@smartchat.net.au

REGARDS

JOHN BROWN

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo

I will visit Ypres the 12th of may this year.

It is amazing to see how many soldiers of the Leinster regiment died 12 May 1915 and how many there are named on the Menin Gate.

Is there anyone who can tell me what happened on that 12 MAY 1915 with this regiment?

BEDFORD HOUSE CEMETERY, Belgium

FARRELL, Private, PATRICK, 4908, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. , Died of wounds 12 May 1915. Age 32. Son of the late Michael Farrell and of Anne Farrell, of 71, Patrick St., Drogheda, Co. Louth. Grave Ref. Enclosure No.4 VI. C. 14.

MAXWELL, Private, JAMES, 9437, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. , Died of wounds 12 May 1915. (Served as CARPENTER), Son of James and Mary Maxwell, of Tullamore, Kings Co. Grave Ref. I. A. 9.

PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL, Belgium

PENDERS, Private, PATRICK, 3771, 2nd Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of John and Bridget Penders, of 23, Ship St, Drogheda. Panel 10.

TYNE COT CEMETERY, Belgium

CLEARY, Private, T, 3095, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Grave Ref. XLIII. E. 17.

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL, Belgium

BANNON, Private, PATRICK, 2434, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

BERGIN, Private, JOHN, 8625, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

BLATCHLY, Second Lieutenant, WALTER JOHN ATHERTON, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 22. Son of Harry Atherton Blatchly and Honor Lourina Blatchly, of 75, Blythswood Rd., Goodmayes, Essex. Enlisted in Hon. Artillery Company, Aug., 1914. Gazetted, March, 1915. Panel 44.

BROPHY, Lance Serjeant, JOSEPH, 8697, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 30. (Served as KELLY). Son of Dennis and Johana Brophy, of Moorville, Rathdowney, Queen's Co. Panel 44.

BROWNE, Lance Corporal, PERCY GILBERT, 3947, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 21. Son of Mrs. Jane Browne, of 45, Batoum Gardens, Hammersmith. London. Panel 44.

BURKE, Private, WILLIAM, 36, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 43. Son of William and Elizabeth Burke; husband of Julia Burke, of 60, Townsend St., Dublin. Served in the South African Campaign. Panel 44.

BUTLER, Private, PATRICK, 9375, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 26. Son of Mrs. Bridget Butler, of 90, Upper Church St., Dublin. Panel 44.

BYRNE, Private, PATRICK, 8594, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

CARR, Private, JAMES, 4016, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of Thomas and Eliza Carr, of Nuns Walk, Drogheda, Co. Louth. Panel 44.

CARTHY, Private, JOHN, 2346, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

CARTHY, Private, MARTIN, 3821, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

CLARKE, Lance Corporal, THOMAS PERCY, 9217, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 24. Son of George Richard Clarke, of The Admiral, Nutley Lane, Reigate, and the late Lavinia Emma Clarke (nee Pankhurst). Panel 44.

CONNOLLY, Private, JAMES, 4816, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

COSTELLO, Private, THOMAS, 8438, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 26. Son of Daniel and Ellen Costello, of 11, Kyle St., Cork. Panel 44.

CREMIN, Lance Corporal, DENIS, 7954, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

DELANEY, Private, TIMOTHY, 9345, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Son of Mrs. Margaret Delaney, of 8, Shandon View Cottages, Cork. Panel 44.

DONEGAN, Private, THOMAS, 3166, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 21. Son of Patrick and Margaret Donegan; husband of Mary Josephine Farrell (formerly Donegan), of 12, St. Augustine St., Dublin. Panel 44.

DORAN, Lance Corporal, JOSEPH, 8887, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 26. Son of the late John and Mary Doran. Panel 44.

DOWLING, Private, WILLIAM, 3782, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

DOYLE, Serjeant, JOHN, 4200, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

DUGGAN, Private, JOHN, 3386, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. , Killed in action 12 May 1915. Age 28. (Served as Michael DEVLIN). Husband of Winifred Duggan of Little Water Street, Longford, Leinster, Ireland. Addenda Panel 59 to 60.

FEEHAN, Private, MARTIN, 2926, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 30. Husband of Julia Feehan, of Cloughjordan, Co. Tipperary. Panel 44.

FENNELLY, Private, MICHAEL, 10129, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of Martin Fennelly, of Borris Rd., Maryborough, Queen's Co. Panel 44.

FITZPATRICK, Private, MICHAEL, 2192, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 48. Son of Finton Fitzpatrick, of Irishtown, Mountmellick, Queen's Co. Panel 44.

GERIGHTY, Private, PATRICK, 4517, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

GOODBODY, Captain, HENRY EDGAR, 4th Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

GRIMM, Private, THOMAS, 558, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 37. Son of the late William and Ann Grimm; husband of Elizabeth Grimm, of 44, Thrissell St., Stapleton Rd., Bristol. Panel 44.

HANLEY, Private, WILLIAM, 3183, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

HANLON, Private, TERENCE, 3832, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 25. Son of Elizabeth Hanlon, of 3, Williams Place, Lower Dorset St., Dublin, and the late Charles Hanlon; husband of Margaret Hanlon, of 2, Brady's Cottages, Belvedere Rd., Dorset St., Dublin. Panel 44.

HEFFERNAN, Private, JAMES, 3757, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

LYSTER, Private, EDWARD, 1823, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 33. Son of Edward and Susan Lyster, of 16, Patrick St., Kingstown, Co. Dublin. Panel 44.

MAHONY, Private, JOHN, 8824, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MATTHEWS, Private, MICHAEL, 8421, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 25. Son of Timothy and Eliza Matthews, of 5, Cottage, Bunkershill, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. Panel 44.

McEVOY, Private, THOMAS, 3592, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

McGRATH, Private, CHRISTOPHER, 10000, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MEALY, Private, STEPHEN, 3774, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MILLS, Private, MARTIN, 9772, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. J. Mills, of Carlow. Panel 44.

MORGAN, Serjeant, EUGENE, 3410, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MURPHY, Private, JOHN, 7658, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MURPHY, Private, TIMOTHY, 6988, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

O'BRIEN, Private, MICHAEL, 3746, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

O'CONNELL, Lance Corporal, MAURICE STANLEY HILTON, 3945, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 25. Son of Mr. and Mrs. O'Connell, of 11, Turniville Rd., West Kensington, London; husband of Harriet Lillian Brown (formerly O'Connell), of 35, Orbain Rd., Fulham, London. Panel 44.

PRICE, Private, WILLIAM, 3464, "A" Coy. 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 19. Son of the late Patrick and Mary Price. Panel 44.

PYKE, Private, JOSEPH KILBRIDE, 10291, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

ROONEY, Private, MARTIN, 4697, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

SHAW, Private, LAWRENCE, 9462, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

WATT, Private, HARRY, 8478, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

It's been a while since the last post and I am hoping you are still able to do some look ups on the Leinsters for me. My GGGrandfather and at least 6 of his brothers all served in the Leinsters during the 1st ww. Their names are Robert George, John, Joseph, James and Adam and probably William too . Adam died in 10/8/1915 in Gallipoli with the 6th battalion, and james on 19/4/1915 with the 1st Battalion in Ypres. Cannot find much out about these two or the other brothers. Really hoping you maybe able to help. I think most served with the 6th Battalion. Thank you in advance. regards

• 1 year later...

Hi not sure if this offer is still open

Do you have any details regarding 6423 Sgt Hubert Goodman

he served with the following Leinster Regiment Battalions

2nd btn 10 sep 14 - 20 Oct 14

2nd btn 26 Dec 14 - 09 Jul 15

2nd Btn 21 Mar 16 - 16 Apr 17

6th Btn 26 Jul 18 - 12 Aug 18

2nd Btn 13 Aug 18 - 10 Sep 18

thank you for your time

dunmore44

• 1 month later...

I'm also interested in Bernard Murphy Leinster 1st 4863 KIA Ypres 19 April 1915. Signed on in Drogheda Co. Louth per his death record, so not sure how he ended up in the 1st battalion.

Any help appreciated

At the Leinster Regiment Association we are slowly rebuilding the information in relation to soldiers that served with the Regiment up to it disbanding in 1922. This is a long task as it includes names from the early 100th Regiment and 109th Regiment that combined, along with the militia regiments, to form the Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)

We have the names of all the Leinster soldiers who died in WW1 and are identified by the CWGC (the list was provided by them), so because this information is readily available on the CWGC web site, it is not a priority to add to the database.

We have already collected several hundred soldiers names of those who survived WW1 from correspondents with the Association and these together with those mentioned in Whitton's "History" and Hitchcock's "Stand To" will be entered over time (there are only a couple of the Association's historians working on the project).

We are not yet ready to "go public" with the database, there are several thousands of names to be entered. The database will be available online in due course. However if you have an enquiry about a Leinster Soldier who did survive the Great War we will do our best to respond as a "quid pro quo" for providing new information. There is a simple way to have information about a soldier added to the database using this link I will also keep an eye on this thread.

In the mean time thanks to "Leinster Soldier" for opening this thread and providing an excellent service.

• 8 months later...

hi,

My great , great , uncle,

was Harry Watt at the very foot of this list, and I have done some research on what he was doing that day, and have been to the exact spot in

Sanctuary Wood where he died, charging trenches at bayonette point for surprise.

click on my email on my profile and i'll send you photos, maps etc of what happened on the 12th of May 1915 and why so many died that day.

regards

ken

hdbp

Hallo

I will visit Ypres the 12th of may this year.

It is amazing to see how many soldiers of the Leinster regiment died 12 May 1915 and how many there are named on the Menin Gate.

Is there anyone who can tell me what happened on that 12 MAY 1915 with this regiment?

BEDFORD HOUSE CEMETERY, Belgium

FARRELL, Private, PATRICK, 4908, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. , Died of wounds 12 May 1915. Age 32. Son of the late Michael Farrell and of Anne Farrell, of 71, Patrick St., Drogheda, Co. Louth. Grave Ref. Enclosure No.4 VI. C. 14.

MAXWELL, Private, JAMES, 9437, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. , Died of wounds 12 May 1915. (Served as CARPENTER), Son of James and Mary Maxwell, of Tullamore, Kings Co. Grave Ref. I. A. 9.

PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL, Belgium

PENDERS, Private, PATRICK, 3771, 2nd Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of John and Bridget Penders, of 23, Ship St, Drogheda. Panel 10.

TYNE COT CEMETERY, Belgium

CLEARY, Private, T, 3095, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Grave Ref. XLIII. E. 17.

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL, Belgium

BANNON, Private, PATRICK, 2434, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

BERGIN, Private, JOHN, 8625, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

BLATCHLY, Second Lieutenant, WALTER JOHN ATHERTON, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 22. Son of Harry Atherton Blatchly and Honor Lourina Blatchly, of 75, Blythswood Rd., Goodmayes, Essex. Enlisted in Hon. Artillery Company, Aug., 1914. Gazetted, March, 1915. Panel 44.

BROPHY, Lance Serjeant, JOSEPH, 8697, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 30. (Served as KELLY). Son of Dennis and Johana Brophy, of Moorville, Rathdowney, Queen's Co. Panel 44.

BROWNE, Lance Corporal, PERCY GILBERT, 3947, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 21. Son of Mrs. Jane Browne, of 45, Batoum Gardens, Hammersmith. London. Panel 44.

BURKE, Private, WILLIAM, 36, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 43. Son of William and Elizabeth Burke; husband of Julia Burke, of 60, Townsend St., Dublin. Served in the South African Campaign. Panel 44.

BUTLER, Private, PATRICK, 9375, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 26. Son of Mrs. Bridget Butler, of 90, Upper Church St., Dublin. Panel 44.

BYRNE, Private, PATRICK, 8594, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

CARR, Private, JAMES, 4016, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of Thomas and Eliza Carr, of Nuns Walk, Drogheda, Co. Louth. Panel 44.

CARTHY, Private, JOHN, 2346, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

CARTHY, Private, MARTIN, 3821, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

CLARKE, Lance Corporal, THOMAS PERCY, 9217, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 24. Son of George Richard Clarke, of The Admiral, Nutley Lane, Reigate, and the late Lavinia Emma Clarke (nee Pankhurst). Panel 44.

CONNOLLY, Private, JAMES, 4816, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

COSTELLO, Private, THOMAS, 8438, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 26. Son of Daniel and Ellen Costello, of 11, Kyle St., Cork. Panel 44.

CREMIN, Lance Corporal, DENIS, 7954, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

DELANEY, Private, TIMOTHY, 9345, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Son of Mrs. Margaret Delaney, of 8, Shandon View Cottages, Cork. Panel 44.

DONEGAN, Private, THOMAS, 3166, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 21. Son of Patrick and Margaret Donegan; husband of Mary Josephine Farrell (formerly Donegan), of 12, St. Augustine St., Dublin. Panel 44.

DORAN, Lance Corporal, JOSEPH, 8887, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 26. Son of the late John and Mary Doran. Panel 44.

DOWLING, Private, WILLIAM, 3782, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

DOYLE, Serjeant, JOHN, 4200, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

DUGGAN, Private, JOHN, 3386, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. , Killed in action 12 May 1915. Age 28. (Served as Michael DEVLIN). Husband of Winifred Duggan of Little Water Street, Longford, Leinster, Ireland. Addenda Panel 59 to 60.

FEEHAN, Private, MARTIN, 2926, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 30. Husband of Julia Feehan, of Cloughjordan, Co. Tipperary. Panel 44.

FENNELLY, Private, MICHAEL, 10129, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of Martin Fennelly, of Borris Rd., Maryborough, Queen's Co. Panel 44.

FITZPATRICK, Private, MICHAEL, 2192, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 48. Son of Finton Fitzpatrick, of Irishtown, Mountmellick, Queen's Co. Panel 44.

GERIGHTY, Private, PATRICK, 4517, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

GOODBODY, Captain, HENRY EDGAR, 4th Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

GRIMM, Private, THOMAS, 558, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 37. Son of the late William and Ann Grimm; husband of Elizabeth Grimm, of 44, Thrissell St., Stapleton Rd., Bristol. Panel 44.

HANLEY, Private, WILLIAM, 3183, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

HANLON, Private, TERENCE, 3832, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 25. Son of Elizabeth Hanlon, of 3, Williams Place, Lower Dorset St., Dublin, and the late Charles Hanlon; husband of Margaret Hanlon, of 2, Brady's Cottages, Belvedere Rd., Dorset St., Dublin. Panel 44.

HEFFERNAN, Private, JAMES, 3757, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

LYSTER, Private, EDWARD, 1823, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 33. Son of Edward and Susan Lyster, of 16, Patrick St., Kingstown, Co. Dublin. Panel 44.

MAHONY, Private, JOHN, 8824, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MATTHEWS, Private, MICHAEL, 8421, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 25. Son of Timothy and Eliza Matthews, of 5, Cottage, Bunkershill, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary. Panel 44.

McEVOY, Private, THOMAS, 3592, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

McGRATH, Private, CHRISTOPHER, 10000, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MEALY, Private, STEPHEN, 3774, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MILLS, Private, MARTIN, 9772, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 23. Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. J. Mills, of Carlow. Panel 44.

MORGAN, Serjeant, EUGENE, 3410, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MURPHY, Private, JOHN, 7658, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

MURPHY, Private, TIMOTHY, 6988, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

O'BRIEN, Private, MICHAEL, 3746, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

O'CONNELL, Lance Corporal, MAURICE STANLEY HILTON, 3945, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 25. Son of Mr. and Mrs. O'Connell, of 11, Turniville Rd., West Kensington, London; husband of Harriet Lillian Brown (formerly O'Connell), of 35, Orbain Rd., Fulham, London. Panel 44.

PRICE, Private, WILLIAM, 3464, "A" Coy. 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Age 19. Son of the late Patrick and Mary Price. Panel 44.

PYKE, Private, JOSEPH KILBRIDE, 10291, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

ROONEY, Private, MARTIN, 4697, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

SHAW, Private, LAWRENCE, 9462, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

WATT, Private, HARRY, 8478, 1st Bn., Leinster Regiment. 12 May 1915. Panel 44.

• 2 years later...

Hi Mike,

Not sure if you are still offering free searches, but I wondered if you had anything for a private John Carr 819, Leinster Reg 2nd Battalion.

Thank you in advance,

Lilya

• 4 years later...

Hi, 

In the 2011 Census my Great Uncle is listed being a private 2nd Bn The Leinster Regiment aged 22.

He was born in Ireland (Ballinasloe) in 1890.

I can't find any information on him after this. Are you able to assist?

rg14_34978_0125_35.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Admin
32 minutes ago, mike papa said:

Hi 

Looking for any information on the 4th Battalion in Limerick from 1916-1917, any help appreciated

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Michaellewis hasn't logged on since 2011 - you may try sending him a private message which once sent will send an email to his registered email address.

Alternatively perhaps start a new thread in Units and Formations?

Good luck with your research.

David

I came across a garbled press clipping (Mons?) Pte Goggins, Leinster Regt going into No Man's Land to save wounded soldiers. Cousin of my Grandfather I guess?