Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pictures with new camera

roger

This is a 54mm resin figure of a French Infantryman 1918.

I just got the camera this morning so I've been having a play :D

Roger.

30074wt.jpg

30083cv.jpg

Roger

The detail apparent suggests you've got a neat camera there and the figure seems very well made.

But --- M. Poilu he has the tres short legs, non?

Jacques

Roger

But --- M. Poilu he has the tres short legs, non?

Jacques

Merci Jacques,

I've spent that long peering at this through a magnifying glass I never noticed.

The sculpter based this figure on an actual photograph, the clothes are very bulky which may give that impression. If I can find the Photo I'll post it.

Roger.

For a moment there Jim I thought you said he had three short legs!

Cheers Bruce, remember I don't do ceilings. :P

Roger.

For a moment there Jim I thought you said he had three short legs!

No, that would be Shane Warne. :D (Roland will explain....)

No, that would be Shane Warne. :D (Roland will explain....)

Either I've got it all wrong or it doesn't need explaining :D

Roger

By the way, of course he's got short legs, I already said he's only 54mm tall.

Superb Roger. Great detail.

Bill

well I love it. Don't forget that the average French infantryman was a paysan ( countryman ) and that many period photos show them to be very small.

Great model Roger.

Great model Roger.

Thank you very much. at the moment I am working on a model of a Ottoman infantryman at Gallipoli. A very rare subject in the miniature figure world. In fact this one is a one off converted from existing figures with a fair amouint of sculpting by forum member Dan Morton.

Roger.

Great pics, great models great painting (an Ernie Wise on the legs :D -so what-some people have short legs), and it looks like you've got yourself a good camera there.

Thank you, the camera is a Konica-Minolta Dimage Z6 with an instruction manuel the size The official History of the Great War. :lol:

Roger.

Ok humour me I've got a new toy :D .

British lancer 1914

picture02012vh.jpg

picture02010ju.jpg

Excellent model, as always, Roger. We had a family gathering yesterday to celebrate my parents' Golden Wedding. I couldn't help but notice that the chef bore an uncanny resemblance to your poilu. Either they were separated at birth or this guy does a bit of posing for 54mm modelling companies in his spare time.

Gary

post-391-1145906820.jpg

Cheers Gary and my thats a fine looking trolley of cake :D

Ah..... but what's the poilu got in his(don't know the proper name for it) billycan thing? :D

Cakes ....anyone ?

Ah..... but what's the poilu got in his(don't know the proper name for it) billycan thing? :D

Cakes ....anyone ?

It's called a Bouteillon: "The Bouteillon (named after the official responsible for its issue - Boutheon) was an aluminium boiler with lid designed to heat up the rations for the whole squad – normally a dozen men."

I've got a feeling it didn't hold cake but I could be proved wrong. :D

Roger

I've got a feeling it didn't hold cake but I could be proved wrong. :D

If the French learned anything from history, I bet it did. S'ils n'ont pas de pain, qu'ils mangent de la brioche!

Gary

Turning it on it's head I wouldn't have been happy if there was no cake left on that trolley and I had to have bread :D

Guest Dangerfield

Oh, there you are, Roger! On the discussion about beards in the Other forum, I posted this picture which you told me had been used for the model on this thread. I thought I'd repost the picture here. Isn't it aweinspiring to think that the tough looking soldier on this picture has now been immortalized in a model?

And I can see why. Just look at this man. He stands in front of his fellow Poilu and there's strength there, in his face, his eyes and his bearing. It looks like he has went through hell and back, and has endured it all and intends to keep on living a full life.

I just thought it was astonishing that my absolute favorite picture from WW1 had been used as a model by someone else. So, thank you, Roger!

beard.JPG

Hello, I'm here :D

If you take a look at his website Here Jon Smith bases all the figures he sculpts on photos from the Great War. You will probably see a couple of others you are familier with.

I used a bit of artistic licence on mine and portrayed him as an older man.

Roger.

Guest Dangerfield

Those models are awesome! Thank you so much for that link.

They also provided me with details on the uniforms and gear that I've been wondering about.

Glad you found the link interesting.

Here is a link to another Jon Smith figure I have painted and another pic

here

30023jd.jpg