Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines in WW1

PhilB

Per Ardua

Black Watch, 3 Battalions :) ?

There were 4 battalions at the battle of Loos alone (1st, 2nd, 4th (TF Dundee), & 8th (New Army)), [not as many as the Camerons - I think they had 5]

Please find a link to all of the battalions (20 - not all deployed):

http://www.1914-1918.net/blackwatch.htm

hope this helps

Tom McC

Having the Army List permitted officers in a crisis to quickly establish seniority if they were from a variety of units thrown together in a crisis.

Assuming that there was an Army List handy in the crisis!

In a case where a RM and an Army officer of the same rank have control of a mixed bag, whichever was senior would take command? Thanks for the input. Phil B

In a case where a RM and an Army officer of the same rank have control of a mixed bag, whichever was senior would take command? Thanks for the input. Phil B

If I have understood your question then I would assume that technically the RM - as part of the Senior Service - would have seniority although in practice it would probably be the man with the experience for the job.

I assume it was the theory and as such had the same validity as any other theory like: the war will be over by Christmas, if you land on Gallipoli you'll take Constantinolpe or the best way to use tanks is in dribs and drabs!

If I have understood your question then I would assume that technically the RM - as part of the Senior Service - would have seniority although in practice it would probably be the man with the experience for the job.

Do you mean that a RM officer would have seniority over an Army officer of the same rank irrespective of their Army List dates? Phil B

In 1914 the Royal Marines ...

Black Watch, 3 Battalions :) ?

Tom

Sorry if you think that I slighted the Black Watch by the way that I set out the post, I was still refering to 1914 when I listed the number of battalions of other regiments deployed and then only those that qualified for the 1914 Star. Giving the overall totals for the RM was a separate point.

Do you mean that a RM officer would have seniority over an Army officer of the same rank irrespective of their Army List dates? Phil B

Just to clarify, I meant if they shared the same seniority, which I thought is what you meant.

Per Ardua,

OK No problem ;)

To do with the Marines, I believe they have been on the Admiralty's budget since 1664. I believe the Royal Marines are still subject to both the Naval Discipline Act & the Army Act (a double whammy!).

Mind you, I believe that the charges at the Captain's table are a bit more severe. I remember a comrade of mine being a bit worse for wear, and retorting to a Regulator on the gate as (that he took exception to) as synonyms of:

A rotund, French sailor, who does not know who his father is :D .

This cost him a £1000 fine, about 18 years ago. Some sailors just have no sense of humour.

Tom McC

Mind you, I believe that the charges at the Captain's table are a bit more severe.

Joking aside this was one of the problems that stopped the RND being transferred fully to the army in WW1. Naval rates of pay were better.

RM officers where on the same structure as Army Officers regards rank and seniority. The reason they where on both the army and navy lists was the RN didn’t have brevet rank IE the direct equivalent of Major and Lt. Col these ranks being determined by seniority. A captain in the RM with 8 years seniority was classed as a Major when on a ships books albeit he was not ranked as a Major in the army. Simple really?

Regards Charles