Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGWAT

Landsturm

However, in Soren's defence, here's an extract from another painting of the canadians at Ypres by W.B.Woolen depicting the Princess Pats (note the lee Enfields and the Vickers)...

post-357-1144612378.jpg

What a picture!

Marina

It certainly is!

....actually, I painted it yesterday, and it's my entry for this month's MGWAT!!! :unsure:

Dave. :lol:

PS Dave

Is the whole painting on the net? I had a look but couldn't find it.

Marina

No idea, I haven't looked, but it's pretty famous so I'd presume so. It's entitled "The Canadians at Ypres".

Dave.

CROONAERT, I`m also aware of this work and I have thought of it too. I haven`t figured out why it features these weapons? But I do find Jack`s painting more convincing.

William B. Woolen was born in Leipzig, Germany in 1857 and he died in London 1936. Canada (like other Commonwealth) was called to help Great Britain. I believe was easier to just illustrate Canadians with British equipment. Richard Jack was born in Sunderland, England, in 1866, the British subject studied at the Académie Julien in Paris, France, before he was hired by Canada to become our first official war artist in 1916.

Woollen`s illustration also lacks the shoulder epaulettes (blue colored for infantry) taht are visible in Jack`s work. The coloured epaulette was a mark of distinction that only the First Contingent (of CEF) was entitled to wear. The shoulder straps varied in colour for branch of service.

And yet about the machineguns... I couple yeras ago inquired whether they had Maxims or Colts at the time; During this period for the 1st Division had Colts. The only Canadian units that had Maxim's were the perminent force units such as RCR, they never had Colts.

The thing is , they're both really "artists impressions" anyway. Look closely enough and you'll find many innacuracies with both.

Dave.

It certainly is!

....actually, I painted it yesterday, and it's my entry for this month's MGWAT!!! :unsure:

Dave. :lol:

Absolutely Brilliant :lol:

Glyn

Here`s my entry;

Tirailleurs (French African riflemen) facing the first gas attack at 5 o`clock in the afternoon on April 22nd, 1915, near Ypres, Belgium.

I`ll post a colored version too, but this Greyscale version is MY ENTRY for the thread...

post-1862-1144668146.jpg

I too preferred the grey scale one.

Mandy

I preferred the coloured one too....

Haven't started mine yet.........sorry ...... I'm trying to get rid of this cold I've had all week and just sat around looking glum, feeling sorry for myself(qoute from Mrs Spike) <_<

Spike,

that is not a cold it is man flu!!!!!!

get well soon,

Mandy

22nd April 1915 - the Second Battle of Ypres begins.

The last of the natives leave the ruins of their city, badly shattered during the bombardment of the 19th April, with rumours of a German attack rife.....

post-1137-1145040112.jpg

Just going back to why the Pats have Lee Enfields and Vickers, the original Pats were mostly ex-British soldiers, they were in the 27th British Division, so I would guess they would prefer the better Lee enfield then the Ross Rifle ?

Annette

PS great art work everyone

The Dying.

He lay there, a once proud Frenchman, his blue tattered uniform bloodied, his eyes screwed shut, fluid leaking from his gaping mouth. Beside him, a mere boy sat with his head between his legs, taking shallow wheezing gasps for air. He spat a stream of watery fluid on the ground, while grinding his knuckles into his eyes. The booming, crashing, screaming shells dropped death and destruction all about us, churning up debris and litter, but the medics went about their business, trying to save men, only to find that they could not.

It had started as a strange yellow green mist, wafting low over the trenches, seeming to begin at the Hun’s lines. We had watched from where we rested, on a slight hill, some way from the French line. It mystified us as to what it could be, until ours eyes started to gently weep and a tickle caught the backs of our throats. A slight sweet-peppery smell hung in the air. No one could believe, men shook their heads in denial, but the evidence soon came towards us. Horses galloping, soldiers running. Not a care as to where they had laid their rifles, they ran for their lives, away from their trenches.

We'd earnt our rest. After two days in the trenches, fighting, no sleep, not much food, we were weary and worn. But it wasn't to be. We dug in, for awhile. Then up we got and marched, we marched all night until, at dawn, we were allowed an hour of sleep, then up again. The Canadians were hanging on, the Jocks fighting. We moved towards were the French had fallen.

I'll never forget the moment when we saw them. I remember thinking that it wasn't real, what I was looking at; the Hun, with all his talk of chivalry, to use this obscene instrument of death upon other humans. How angry, how useless I felt, as I watched these writhing, gasping men trying to live, while they died in agony, their final conscious moment filled with pain, the last thing in their ears, the shells of the enemy, killing and maiming yet more of their countrymen.

I could not take my eyes from that blue uniform, and in that moment, I hated the enemy.

I hated him for what he had done to these men, and for what he might do to me.

Kim