The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vassila - Devil's Own

susimillar

Phil B,

Could I ask what a PTI badge is please?

thanks

Vassila

The badge of a Physical Training Instructor is (was?) crossed swords. Captain Grumpy could tell us if it meant that in 1911 cavalry. Phil B

Vassila,

Great pictures, thank you for posting them.

Andy

The badge of a Physical Training Instructor is (was?) crossed swords. Captain Grumpy could tell us if it meant that in 1911 cavalry. Phil B

According to mum her mother said her dad S.C Vassila, used to jump over the wooden horses. I think I have had it all a bit mixed up. Assumed the physical training would have been when he joined the inns of court OTC. Now I believe he joined the rifle brigade, not sure where or when but must have been a physical instructor with them before being attached to the Inns of court. That is assuming the rifle brigade took on physical trainers.

Hi all,

As a Sergeant he is a Physical Training Instructor (swords have cutlass type hilt).

However, as a Colour Sergeant, he wears the Colour Sergeants' badge of a Rifles regiment: Three stripes, 2 bugles, crossed Rifles' swords, and a crown.

hope this helps

Tom McC

Thanks Tom.

So in this picture out in SA he is a sergeant and a physical instructor and in the first photo a colour sergeant? does that mean he is no longer a physical instructor?

post-11748-1148244599.jpg

Do you know what the arm badges in this photo are, please. Presume this is down at Berkhampstead.

Thank you

Vassila

post-11748-1148244779.jpg