The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman Joseph Felix Schell, 6th Bn The Rifle Brigade

Tim

Close up

post-1871-1147184552.jpg

Thanks Andy. Great shots!

It's making you dizzy! I know what you mean and they're my family! :wacko:

Just as aside, apparently Joseph had quite a significant limp (as you would after being clobbered by a shell from 700 yards) and he often got cramp. The family are fairly certain he suffered one of these cramps and drowned as a result. Apparently his shirt, pants, shoes and socks were all nicely folded on the bank of the river, along with a packet of cigarettes with one cigarette poking out of the packet, ready for him to smoke when he got out the river. He never did.

So to wrap up, he gets campaign medals and a "military" grave, but since he was temporarily relieved of active service, he didn't recieve a SWB. Must try and find his medals. They're here in Australia.... somewhere! :)

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

It certainly has evolved into quite a story, glad that I could help you with the local angle.

Re the SWB, he was posted back to the 6th so would have been ready for active service again after recovery, although in what role, temporarily sent to munitions service, you have to wonder about the newspaper article on him, was he discharged or not??. One can only presume that Aster Engineering might have needed a Motor Mechanic, his trade???? who knows.

Hope that you got the pictures of the church, convent etc etc. The priest did say that the Altar, to his recollection, was fairly new as the old one did not allow the priest to face the congregation. He was going to check up on that for me due to your relations tie in with the altar.

By the way, the convent has always been a convent and not an orphanage.

Andy

Tim, Andy et al,

I'm sure there's still more to come, but thanks for a wonderful story so far. I'm currently reading 'German Anzacs', so Joseph Schell's story has parallels. Does the Met Police report on his death say exactly where he was bathing ? I'm going to the RHS Gardens at Wisley tomorrow, which are beside the River Wey, and will remember Joseph when I take a walk along the river.

Mick

You would think he would've been discharged. I'll keep looking into it from this end.

Looked over my notes again, in the 1901 Census Marie Schell was listed as being at St Marys Convent, Milton Road, Prittlewell. Looking at the census listing there were a number of nuns and a large number of girls of various ages, listed at the convent.

The old alter would've been made of wood. The Berry's were carpenters.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim, Andy et al,

I'm sure there's still more to come, but thanks for a wonderful story so far. I'm currently reading 'German Anzacs', so Joseph Schell's story has parallels. Does the Met Police report on his death say exactly where he was bathing ? I'm going to the RHS Gardens at Wisley tomorrow, which are beside the River Wey, and will remember Joseph when I take a walk along the river.

Mick

Mick,

The Met Police report states he was visiting friends at Elmbry Cottage, Brooklands, Weybridge.

As a side note, "my" Schell's were from Alsace, which at the time was "German" and had been since 1871. In 1919 after Versailles, it became "French" again until Round 2 some 20 years later.

Thanks for taking time out to remember Joseph. His anniversary is coming up soon, 19th May.

post-11408-1147261899.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Oh well it looks like the priests recollections are correct then. I think he was very probably discharged, maybe died before the SWB could be issued.

Btw, the Berry stained window is to the right of the Altar as you look at it, there are 3 stained windows there dedicated to soldiers of WW1 including one Italian soldier who was resident in Southend-on-Sea.

The convent is now called St. Bernards and is a girls school as well, just behind the church there was also a primary school called St. Helens which has been there for a long time, although sadly now not being used as a school.

Andy

One can only presume that Aster Engineering might have needed a Motor Mechanic, his trade???? who knows.

It just keeps getting better! :rolleyes:

The Aster was an English automobile manufactured from 1922 to 1930. The companies car roots can be traced to 1899 when Begbie Manufacturing of Wembley, in north London became British licensees of the French Aster company making mainly stationary engines. In 1913 they became Aster Engineering Co Ltd and during the war made aircraft engines.

Certainly not munitions work, but certainly involved in the war effort.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

So glad that you managed to get the headstone picture, you must have quite a file on Joseph and the Berry's now.

Will do some more digging whilst at the library re the other Berry's you e mailed me about, and I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed digging the bits and pieces up for you from this end.

This is what this forum is, or, should be all about not the sniping that crops up.

All the very best Tim, from a sunny Southend.

Andy

Andy,

Yep, thanks to the generous members on this forum, I have headstone photos of Joseph Schell and Wilfred Berry and a photo a memorial wall Herbert Berry is on.

Yes, my files are ever increasing in size! Enjoying adding to it too! Eventually all will be sorted out and printed and made into PDF documents.

Many thanks for all you've done from your end. I'm forever grateful.

Cheers from a somewhat dark (well it is past 10pm) Castle Hill,

Tim

It just keeps getting better!

When you are on a roll you are on a roll, Tim, you certainly seem to be on that roll :D

Andy

Andy,

I'm wondering if he was employed at Aster Engineering Co Ltd before he enlisted.

I'm also wondering which munitions factory he worked in. Perhaps The Ministry of Munitions, National Filling Factory No. 7 in Middlesex or even the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich, which employed something like 80,000 munitions workers.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Try to enlarge the section 17 on his Short Service Attestation Paper, I cannot quite make it out fully, but there is something regarding discharge written there in handwriting.

Andy

After all the activity on this gentleman, remembering him today.

Andy

As mentioned in my earlier post, I had Joseph Schell in mind when I visited the RHS Gardens at Wisley recently, not far from where he met his death. It occurred to me that his name would sit well as the name of a new variety - perhaps a rose or a peony. I think it is possible to 'sponsor' such things. It would certainly be a nice way to perpetuate Joseph's memory.

Mick