Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman Joseph Felix Schell, 6th Bn The Rifle Brigade

Tim

G'Day Group,

Hoping someone might be able to fill in some gaps.

Details I have so far:

Rifleman SCHELL, Joseph Felix

The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort’s Own)

6th Battalion

Z/1026

Place of Birth: Marylebone, Middlesex

Address on Enlistment: Maida Vale, Middlesex

Date of Death: 18/05/1918

Cause of Death: Accidental.

Place of Burial: Walton and Weybridge Cemetery, Surrey

Grave/Memorial Reference: 2608

Honours/Awards/Campaign Medals: 1914/15 Star

If possible, I'm after, DOB, NOK, age on enlistment, age on death, more details on cause of death.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Tim

Can't give an exact date of birth but:

Name: Joseph Felix Schell

Year of Registration: 1891

Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun

District: Marylebone (1837-1901)

County: London, Middlesex

Volume: 1a

Page: 570

On the 1901 Census he is listed as "at school" at St Agnes's Orphanage at Leyton, Essex, though he is possible a resident:

Joseph Schell, born abt 1892 at Spanish Place, London, England

Steve.

From The Times, May 20 1918...

Regards

Steve

Also, just as a further point his "Honours/Awards/Campaign Medals" should be more than just the 1914-15 Star. He would also have the BWM and Victory Medals (and probably a Silver War Badge).

Link to his MIC is Here

Regards

Steve

His listing on the 1901 Census at school/orphanage makes next of kin difficult, but there is a Felix S Schell and Eva Schell, both born Germany, living at 81 Wigmore Street, St Marylebone, London on the 1891 Census. Felix is list as a cook. Both are age 38.

I can't see them listed on the 1901 Census.

An Eva Katherine Schell died 1897 at Steyning, Sussex, but I can't see a death for Felix Schell. So, whether they are Joseph's parents and whether he was an orphan is unclear. The fact that Felix is Joseph's middle name could suggest they are related.

Steve.

His listing on the 1901 Census at school/orphanage makes next of kin difficult, but there is a Felix S Schell and Eva Schell, both born Germany, living at 81 Wigmore Street, St Marylebone, London on the 1891 Census. Felix is listed as a cook. Both are age 38.

An Eva Katherine Schell died 1897 at Steyning, Sussex, but I can't see a death for Felix Schell. So, whether they are Joseph's parents and whether he was an orphan is unclear. The fact that Felix is Joseph's middle name could suggest they are related.

Steve.

To the Two Steve's, Thank you!

So now begs the question, if Joseph was wounded and invalided back to England to the 6th Bn, The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own), what Bn, was he with when he received his wounds?

The plot thickens as it always does!

Cheers,

Tim

His listing on the 1901 Census at school/orphanage makes next of kin difficult, but there is a Felix S Schell and Eva Schell, both born Germany, living at 81 Wigmore Street, St Marylebone, London on the 1891 Census. Felix is list as a cook. Both are age 38.

Steve.

Steve,

That sounds about right. Family historians tell me the Schell's were from Alsace-Lorriane, so being born in Germany could be well right. I'm not sure of the names, but Joseph's mother did die. His father went a little crazy, hence the being in an orphange/school.

You'll find Joseph's sister Marie Schell (my GGM), at St Marys Convent, Milton Road, Prittlewell, Southend-on-sea, Essex. It lists her place of birth as Not Known.

Love your work. :D

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

He was in the 1st Battalion, he appears on the British War Medal/Victory Medal Roll WO329/1715.

Andy

Tim,

He was in the 1st Battalion, he appears on the British War Medal/Victory Medal Roll WO329/1715.

Andy

Andy,

I've said it once, I'll say it again.

You're a legend! :)

Cheers,

Tim

You sweet talker Tim :D,

Will check through the Silver War Badge Rolls when I get home from work tonight to see if we can find a little more out for you.

Andy

Also, just as a further point his "Honours/Awards/Campaign Medals" should be more than just the 1914-15 Star. He would also have the BWM and Victory Medals (and probably a Silver War Badge).

Link to his MIC is Here

Regards

Steve

I notice that he landed in France on 11/01/1915. So it's fair to assume that he enlisted sometime in 1914.

There appears to be no mention of a SWB.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

You seem to be right as I cannot find a SWB for him, but I will check again to be sure. The Z prefix all seemed to have enlisted from the 31/8/14 to about the 4/9/14 with a few exceptions.

Andy

Hi Tim,

No SWB awarded, his MIC states drowned bathing.

Andy

His medal rolls state drowned while bathing 18/5/18.

Andy

Hi Tim,

You seem to be right as I cannot find a SWB for him, but I will check again to be sure. The Z prefix all seemed to have enlisted from the 31/8/14 to about the 4/9/14 with a few exceptions.

Andy

G'Day Andy,

Thanks for looking mate. And thanks for the enlistment dates.

Any idea why he woulddn't have recieved a SWB?

And would his sister (my GGM) have recieved his medals, since his mother had died and his father was estranged?

Cheers,

Tim

• 1 month later...

Tim,

His service record states drowned in the River Wey while bathing with some friends he was visiting. Will e mail you the details with the Metropolitan Police report on the incident.

Andy

Tim,

He was wounded on the 3/5/15, where the War Diary states "Directly enfiladed by battery at 700 yards. Two companies Yorks & Lancs came up in support at dusk and we were relieved by two companies East Lancs. Carried out withdrawal in accordance with orders. Marched via Brielen to Woods north of Elverdinghe Chateau.

On recovery and posting back to the 6th Battalion he was temporarily released from active service for munition work and was employed by the Aster Engineering Co. Ltd, Wembley. On his attestation papers it says his work was as a Motor Mechanic.

Now we know why there was no Silver War Badge awarded, Phew.

By the way he was 23 years and 6 months old on attestation on the 2/9/14.

Andy

Tim,

Re the medals, to be honest I do not know. In 1921 the Rifle Records made enquiries through the Metropolitan Police as to the whereabouts of the family. The current occupier of 42 Westbourne Crescent, W.2. stated that Mr C. Schell left the premises in December 1920 stating that he was proceeding to Australia.

However a Mrs B.M. Berry (nee Schell) signed for his medals. Hope this helps a little, not the Southend Berry's by chance???.

Andy

Tim,

Re the medals, to be honest I do not know. In 1921 the Rifle Records made enquiries through the Metropolitan Police as to the whereabouts of the family. The current occupier of 42 Westbourne Crescent, W.2. stated that Mr C. Schell left the premises in December 1920 stating that he was proceeding to Australia.

However a Mrs B.M. Berry (nee Schell) signed for his medals. Hope this helps a little, not the Southend Berry's by chance???.

Andy

Andy,

:) Yes, the Southend Berry's indeed. So my GGM signed for her brother's medals. Which means they must be down here.... somewhere!

Better start looking then! :D

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

He was wounded on the 3/5/15, where the War Diary states "Directly enfiladed by battery at 700 yards. Two companies Yorks & Lancs came up in support at dusk and we were relieved by two companies East Lancs. Carried out withdrawal in accordance with orders. Marched via Brielen to Woods north of Elverdinghe Chateau.

On recovery and posting back to the 6th Battalion he was temporarily released from active service for munition work and was employed by the Aster Engineering Co. Ltd, Wembley. On his attestation papers it says his work was as a Motor Mechanic.

Now we know why there was no Silver War Badge awarded, Phew.

By the way he was 23 years and 6 months old on attestation on the 2/9/14.

Andy

Andy my good man!

It's all starting to make sense now. No wonder he was invalided back to England, if he copped it from a battery at 700 yards!

Does his papers state the date he was temporarily released from active service? Did he ever go back to active service or did he die before that?

Cheers,

Tim

His listing on the 1901 Census at school/orphanage makes next of kin difficult, but there is a Felix S Schell and Eva Schell, both born Germany, living at 81 Wigmore Street, St Marylebone, London on the 1891 Census. Felix is listed as a cook. Both are age 38.

Steve.

Further to this, yes Joseph Felix is related to Felix S and Eva Schell, but they are not his parents. They are his uncle and aunt.

Joseph's father was Charles Schell.

Joseph and his sister were both placed into orphanges by their father after their mother died. Their aunt Eva (went by the name of Emma), thought that she should take custody of the children and their father was "unfit" to care for them. So to p*ss her off, he placed them in orphanges under the care of The Church. He visited them regularly.

Don't you just love family politics? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Looks that way, name given as Bertha Marie and aged 30 at the time. I will endeavour to gain access to the church to photograph the stain windows commemorating your relations sometime over the weekend, developing into quite a story, papers all e mailed to you, hope you got them OK.

Andy

Andy,

Yep, that's my GGM. Marie Bertha Schell. I actually have a photo of her, believe it or not! :)

Trust my family to be in such a rip-roaring yarn. :D

"Papers" arrived in the email. Received with thanks.

Have a pint at the Nelson for me this weekend. :)

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

Beautiful day, working from home (or supposed to be) so had a lovely little walk along the cliffs to the Church of our Blessed Lady & St. Helen. Had a pleasant chat with the vicar so here is your relations stained glass window in the church. All this Berry/Schell tie in is making me dizzy but is making a very good story.

Andy

post-1871-1147184300.jpg