Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unknown great grandad

ahardman

Hello, I am trying to find information about my great-grandfather. Unfortuatly i don't no much about him, i know his name, where he fought and was taken prisoner and i know that he was a signaller. This is all i know, how can i find out more, does anyone know? I would really appreciate it if people could let me know if they can help me, thanks! :)

Hi,

The first place to start is here by telling us his name and where he fought.

Doug

His name is Isaac John Davis and fought on the Somme, thats where he was taken prisoner. I know where he enlisted aswell if thats any help!

Enlistment place, place of birth.....anything at all, no matter how trivial it may seem, may just be the clue someone needs to help you out. So don't be shy!

Do you have any medals or a photo?

Hello

Cant see a I J Davis on the medal index card on line - quite a few Isaac Davis mind..

Ian

I dont have any pictures or any medals, there is one medal but I think that is just to say that he was in the war because it only says 1914-1918 on it, my grandad has it so I will see if i can get another look at it.

I dont have any pictures or any medals, there is one medal but I think that is just to say that he was in the war because it only says 1914-1918 on it, my grandad has it so I will see if i can get another look at it.

Get a good look - I'm not a medal expert but I do know that his name, regiment and service numbers should be on the edge of the medal. Make a careful note because they may be abbreviated.

Google British War Medal and Victory Medal because these are the likeliest for it to be, and if it doesn't look like one of those try to get a photo!

There are a lot of people out here who (a) like to help and (B) like a challenge!

Good luck!

Adrian

Thanks for that Adrain, i didnt no that about the medals, i will take a look as soon as i can! thanks for your help, i will keep you posted as soon as i find out anything! :)

hey folks! ive found out that he was PTE. Isaac John Davis, he was in the Welsh Regiment and there was a number there too, - 281753, what is the number for???

i want to no more about him, where do i go from here??

amy :)

Amy,

The number and regiment together is what makes him unique and therefore traceable, or should do.

The next step is to locate his Medal Index Card (MIC) on the NA On Line site. That should be easy but I have not been able to identify anyone with that number in the Welsh nor anyone named Davis with anything like that number.

However, a sneaky search brings out 291753 Isaac J Davies who also served as 75763 in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

I suspect this is the one you need and you now need to spend £3.50 on downloading his card.

You can then share that with us and we can see if there is anything on it of interest and you can also attempt to find his record in the Burnt records at the NA but that requires a personal visit.

Doug

Here is the link to the card in case you need it:

Medal card of Davies, Isaac J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Welsh Regiment 291753 Private

Northumberland Fusiliers 75763 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

The Welsh Regiment number 291753 suggests that he was in the Territoral Force and that he was, in early 1917 at least, part of the 7th Battalion.

Both of the 7th Battalion units served only in the UK so he must have been in a different unit of the Welsh Regiment at a different date, possibly later because no "early" TF number is shown, and may have been either training or serving in the UK at that point.

He did however serve overseas with a unit of the Welsh Regiment, so we shall have to see if the Medal Card gives us any further clues.

Steve.

Thanks guys for your help! All this information is a bit confusing at the mo because it seems like the information about Isaac J Davis doesnt seem to add up, is this normal when you're looking for people?? :wacko:

Amy

Here is the link to the card in case you need it:

Medal card of Davies, Isaac J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Welsh Regiment 291753 Private

Northumberland Fusiliers 75763 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

The Welsh Regiment number 291753 suggests that he was in the Territoral Force and that he was, in early 1917 at least, part of the 7th Battalion.

Both of the 7th Battalion units served only in the UK so he must have been in a different unit of the Welsh Regiment at a different date, possibly later because no "early" TF number is shown, and may have been either training or serving in the UK at that point.

He did however serve overseas with a unit of the Welsh Regiment, so we shall have to see if the Medal Card gives us any further clues.

Steve.

Steve, I clicked on that link and it says that he served in two different regiments between 1914-1920; I know that Isaac J Davis was taken prisoner in either 1916 or 17 and was a POW untill the end of the war. Will i only get the full story of what happened to him when i get his card???

Amy

Hi Amy and welcome to the Forum.

Like many of us, you will fidn that progress in hunting down a soldier's records goes in fits and starts. Unfortunately the MIC will only give details of his units and medals awarded. If he went to France before 1916, there may be a mention of his date of arrival but not necessarily.

As Doug said earlier, you will probably have to visit the National Archives to get a fuller picture

Stephen

Tar for that, i knew it wouldn't be easy to find him but didn't think it would be this confusing :blink: Where are the national archives???

Amy

Well that leaves me up the creak dosen't it because I can't get there! Thanks for trying to help me guys but my quest ends here......................... :(

Amy :(

Amy,

can you get to a library with a newspaper archive?

Papers covering his place of residence during the war can have info.

Kath.

Amy

You can also ask one of the Forum to see if his record is at Kew when they next visit. Don't give up hope - it may seem a dead end but there is always a chance we will find out more

Stephen :rolleyes:

hello kath, dont know about the library thing, but i will defo check it out!

these trips to Kew sound like a pilgrimage :lol: but i will try and find out if anyone is going, please could you tell me if you know anyone who is going! cheers :)

Amy

ps- i aint going to give up just yet :)

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, i no i haven't posted for a while but i have been rather busy. Anyway i have got Isaac John's medal card and the only thing that i can do now realy is go to the National Archives. However i won't be able to do that until i'm older :(

thanks for your help everyone

amy :)

I got my grandfather’s service record from the National Archives by post for £10, no trouble at all. They were damaged but mostly readable.

However it seems to be just pure luck whether they have survived the fire or not. And the £10 fee is charged either way.

Tony.