Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentions in Despatches LG 15th June 1916

Stebie9173

Steve

Thanks for the help

I have found Harold Cecil Harrison but am still battling although I am building up a list of the full names of most of the officers of the SAHA - a surprising number were RM or RMA. In my eg these are the full names

William Henry Lainson Tripp

Walter Brydon

William Henry Pickburn

Is it likely that during the period of the "Groups" that awards were made but not published in the LG ???

There are problems with the index as I have paper copies with multiple names some of which are not in the index - TSO has fixed Percy Nugent George FitzPatrick but I still need to compile a list of the others.

Thanks again

Carl Hoehler

The index is formed by a OCR (Optical Character Recognition) scan that is no doubt some years old.

I have tried scanning documents myself with cheap and cheerful OCR Software, and I would say that in comparison the Gazette index is a wonder to behold.

That said it does struggle with some letters and combinations.

e.g. "R"s become "E"s and "B".

"t" (as in Sgt) can become "fc" (Sgfc)

Imperfections in the scanning become ' ! , etc. If these fall in the middle of words it makes them difficult to pick up.

Steve.

Steve

Another one

I found Percy Albert Myburg Hands in LG Supp 30188 18 July 1917 by searching on "myburg_ _ hands" ie two spaces.

Btw TSO has NOT fixed Percy Nugent George FitzPatrick - I will try the "two spaces rule".

Carl

I shall leave these as per the Gazette (I normally do "clean-ups")

Tripp:

LG 20-8-1915

Royal Marine Artillery.

Captain William Henry Lainson Tripp is

granted the temporary rank of Major.

Lieutenant Harold Cecil Harrison is granted

the temporary rank of Captain.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

LG 26-10-1915

South African Contingent.

The undermentioned are granted temporary rank: —

As Lieutenant-Colonel—

Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel Pryce Peacock, Royal Marine Artillery. Dated 23rd August, 1915.

As Major—

Dated 23rd August, 1915.

Captain William Henry Lainson Tripp, Royal Marine Artillery.

*Temporary Major Conyers William Alston.

Lieutenant Harold Cecil Harrison, Royal Marine Artillery. Dated 30th September, 1915.

Dated 1st October, 1915.

*Temporary Captain Walter Brydon.

*Temporary Captain William H. Pickburn.

As Captain—

Dated 23rd August, 1915.

*Captain Walter Brydon.

*Captain William Henry Pickburn.

Lieutenant Alfred Edward Rann, Royal Marines.

Lieutenant Hubert Edward Purser, Royal Marines.

*Captain William Frederick Groves.

*Captain Cuthbert James Pridultz Forder.

*Captain Eric Hornby T'amplin.

As Lieutenant—

Dated 23rd August, 1915.

*Lieutenant Edward James Lawlor.

*T'emporary Lieutenant Frederick Jenvey.

Temporary Lieutenant John Edward Reynolds, Royal Marines.

*Lieutenant Ernest Godwin Farrell.

*Lieutenant George Mehill Bennett.

*Lieutenant Lionel Herbert Maasdorp.

*Lieutenant Percy Nugent George Fitzpatrick.

*Lieutenant Arthur Bernard Crump.

*Lieutenant John Rees McCarthy.

*Lieutenant Llewellyn Edwards.

*Lieutenant Arthur Gilbert Mullins.

*Lieutenant James Gordon Stewart.

*Second Lieutenant Reginald Henry Hands.

*Second Lieutenant Eric Weir Myburg Mason.

*Second Lieutenant Charles Blaine.

As Second Lieutenant—

Dated 23rd August, 1915.

Roland Levy.

Sydney Bernard Edwards.

Arthur Murray McGregor. .

Edward Cordelier Ridley.

v Clifford P. Ward.

George Fenton Purcocks.

Percy Albert Myburg Hands. Dated 27th August, 1915.

* Defence Forces of the Union of South Africa

LG 10-12-1915

Royal Marine Artillery.

The undermentioned Officers are seconded for service with tih© Royal Garrison Artillery (South African Contingent): —

Major and Brevet

Pryce Peacock.

Lieutenant-Colonel

Captain (temporary Major) William Henry Lainson Tripp.

Dated 23rd August, 1915.

Lieutenant (temporary Captain) Harold Cecil Harrison. Dated 30th September, 1915.

LG 26-6-1917

R.M.A.

Major Archibald Primrose Listen Foulis seconded for ser. with Army (E.G.A.). 30th Mar. 1917.

The undermentioned Capts. to be Majors, having completed 16 years' service, those not seed., to be supy. until absorbed: —

Richard Bertram Graham Warder.

William Henry Lainson Tripp, D.S.O. (temp. Maj.) (seconded).

LG 22-8-1918

His Majesty the KING has been graciously

pleased to approve the award of the Military

Cross to the undermentioned Officers for distinguished

service in the Field and in connec •

tion with the campaign, in German South-West

Africa, 1914-15. To date 1st January,,

1916: —

ffeavy Artillery.

Lt. (now T./Maj.) Eric Hornby Tampliu.

Capt. (T./Lt.-Col.) (now A./Lt.-Col., R,A.)

William Henry" Lainson Tripp, D.S.O.,

B.M.A.

Hope that helps,

Steve.

I shall leave these as per the Gazette (I normally do "clean-ups")

. . . . Hope that helps

Steve

As usual you have exceeded all expectations - Thanks a lot.

The myth of the "two spaces rule" has been busted - the search engine cleverly strips out redundant spaces in the string as entered. I should have really looked at the string actually used but was shell-shocked after staring at the 'square faced idiot' for two solid days when I single handedly destroyed some rain forest and added to a printer cartidge manufacturer's profits.

Carl

Here is Walter Brydon's DSO

LG 1-1-1917

AWABDED THE DISTINGUISHED SEBVICE OBDEB.

SOUTH AFRICAN CONTINGENT.

Temp. Maj. Walter Brydon, S.A. Hvy. Art..

Maj. Norman Harrison, S. Afr. Eng.

Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) Donald McLeay Macleod, S.A. Inf.

Temp. Maj. Michael Stanislaus Power, S.A. Med. C.

(New year's Honours, so no citation)

Steve.

Tripp's DSO

LG 4-6-1917

TO BE COMPANIONS OF THE DISTINGUISHED SEBVICE OBDEB.

Capt. (temp. Maj.) William Henry Lainson Ttipp, R.M.A.

(King's Birthday Honurs, again no Citation)

Misspelling in his surname there!

Also:

SOUTH AFRICAN CONTINGENT.

Temp. Maj. Frederick Leslie Brown, S. A.S.C.

Maj. Colin Clarke, S.A., Eng.

Lt.-Col. Robert Laurie Girdwood, S.A.M.C.

Maj. Charles Norman Hoy.

Maj. Carl Johannes Kreft, S.A. Inf.

Maj. Joachim Frederick Reinhold Lauth, S. Afr. Inf.

Lt.-Col. George Abbott Morris.

Temp. Capt. (actg. Maj.) Arthur Gilbert Mullins, S.A. Arty.

Maj. George Parson.

Maj. (actg. Lt.-Col.) Robert Norman Pringle, S.A. Med. Corps.

Temp. Maj. Frederick Spence T'atham, Gen. List (Lt.-Col., R. of O., S. Afr. Def. Force).

Temp. Maj. Ralph Beresford Turner, S. Afr. Forces.

Lt.-Col. Herbert Wytine Vaughan-Walliarns, S.A.M.C.

Steve.

Addendum to the list of names above:

OVERSEA CONTINGENTS.

SOUTH AFRICA.

Artillery.

The names of the undermentioned are as now described and not as stated in the Gazette of 26th October, 1915 : —

Temporary Captain (now Major) William Henry Pickburn.

Temporary Captains—

Herbert Robarts Purser.

William Frederick Pridultz Groves.

Cuthbert James Forder.

Temporary Lieutenants—

Ernest Godwin Farrell.

George Melville Bennett.

Reginald Harry Myburgh Hands.

Eric Wier Mason.

Charles Herbert Blaine.

Temporary Second Lieutenants—

Sydney Burnet Edwards.

Clifford Percy Ward.

Steve.

Random one:

LG 3-6-1918

AWARBDED THE MILITABY CBOSS.

SOUTH AFRICAN FORCE.

Lt. (A./Mai.) Atholl Murray McGregor. •S.A.H.A. . *

And another:

LG 1-1-1919

AWARDED THE MILITARY CBOSS.

SOUTH AFRICAN FORCE.

T./2nd Lt. Francis Jean Van Halsland Duminy, 73rd Siege By., R.G.A. (S.A.H.A.).

Lt. George Percy Ingarfield, 1st Bn., S.A. Infy.

Steve.

• 1 year later...
Guest bryanspink
YORK AND LANCASTERREGIMENT.Headfom, Maj. (temp. Lt.-Col.) H. R., D.S.O.Woodley,Maj. E. J. (Res. of Off.).Philby, Capt. (temp. Maj.) H. P., D.S.O.(Adjt.).Blythen, 2nd Lt. S. (Spec. Res,).Heggs, 2nd Lt. F.Cholerton, No. 3166Bn. Serjt.-Maj. W.Spink, No. 7459 Co. Serjt.-Maj. R.Crisp, No. 32709 Lce.Corpl. W..YORK, AND LANCASTER REGIMENT(TERRITORIAL FORCE).Branson, Lt. (temp. Capt.) D. S. "Johnson, 2nd -Lt. (temp. Capt.)-P. N. Hewson, 2nd Lt. (temp: Lt.) F. B.Sykes, No.-3540 Acting Regtl. Serjt.-Maj. W,Cole, No. 740 Regtl. Qrmr.-Serjt. H. L.Hall, No. 385-Co, Serjt.-Maj. W.Imisson,No. 2056 Acting Co. Serjt.-Maj. G.Knight, Maj. J.-E.Rideal, Lt. (temp.Capt.) J. G. E. (Brig.M.-G. Offr.).Hess, 2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) J. M. L.Morrell,2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) H. H. (Adjt.).Barker, Qrmr. and Hon. Lt. E. A.Johnson, No. 140 Corpl. A.Poxon, No. 2126 Serjt. H.YORK AND LANCASTERREGIMENT (SERVICEBATTALIONS).By ass, Bt. Col. H. N., ret.pay.Armstrong, Temp. Maj. W. McG. (Capt., Res.of Off.).Bonner, Temp. Capt. E.E.Ellis, No. 34072'Qrmr.-Serjt. (Orderly Room.Serjt.) M. C.Newton, No. 3/3748Pte. G. E. .Hornby, Temp. Lt.-Col. M. L., D.S.O. (Maj.,ret., Ind. Army).Smith,Temp. Maj. C. H. -Parnell, Temp. Qrmr. and Hon. Lt. T.Addison, Maj.(temp. Lt.-Col.) A. J. B. (Res.of Off.).Lewis, Temp. Maj. H. A.Elsworth, Temp.Lt. L. A.Heald, Temp. 2nd L. J. A.

This entry (in red) should be Serjt.Maj. R. Spink. Robert Spink was my Great Grandfather.

See the photos.

More info at www.bryanspink.talktalk.net

http://www.bryanspink.talktalk.net/assets/...es/despatch.gif

and

http://www.bryanspink.talktalk.net/assets/...te_1915-202.jpg

Bryan

post-32119-1204995785.gif

post-32119-1204995931.jpg

The Gazette sets out the Mentions in Despatches in an odd order. Your red hightlight has gone across two men's mentions.

Steve.

• 6 years later...

I was wondering what reson fr. Patrick kerr was listed in dispataches, as you pointed out in your attachment? What was the purpose of this list? Thanks. Seosamh

• 5 years later...

Thanks for posting these links. In his biography, Lieut.-Col. H. Compton (C.O. 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, 24th Division) is apparently mentioned in this despatch, though I can only find his brother, Lieut. Col. C. W. Compton, C.B. (missing) C.M.G. (temp. Brig.-Gen.) as being mentioned. Either I missed the citation or there is a mistake in the biography.

H. Compton is previously MID 7 May 1901, relating to his service in South Africa, which I have found, and apparently again in this despatch. 

Lieut.-Col. C. W. Compton C.B., C.M.G. was previously MID in September 1914 after being wounded at the the Battle of Marne. He was hospitalised in England before returning to France as a Brigadier-General (G.O.C. 14th Brigade, 5th Division) on 28 July, 1915. As a great-great nephew of both men I have been trying to build up a history of their service records and would be greatful for any assistance with further references.

file-out.jpg

post-48147-1252334437.jpg

On 22/02/2020 at 12:46, Jools Mc said:

Thanks for posting these links. In his biography, Lieut.-Col. H. Compton (C.O. 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, 24th Division) is apparently mentioned in this despatch, though I can only find his brother, Lieut. Col. C. W. Compton, C.B. (missing) C.M.G. (temp. Brig.-Gen.) as being mentioned. Either I missed the citation or there is a mistake in the biography.

H. Compton is previously MID 7 May 1901, relating to his service in South Africa, which I have found, and apparently again in this despatch. 

Lieut.-Col. C. W. Compton C.B., C.M.G. was previously MID in September 1914 after being wounded at the the Battle of Le Cateau. He was hospitalised in England before returning to France as a Brigadier-General (G.O.C. 14th Brigade, 5th Division) on 28 July, 1915. As a great-great nephew of both men I have been trying to build up a history of their service records and would be grateful for any assistance with further references.

file-out.jpg

post-48147-1252334437.jpg

Officers of 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. Lieut.-Col H.W. Compton is seated front-centre, with Captain J.V. Wilson (front row, 2nd from right)

and Captain Whittingham (R.A.M.C.) (front row, farthest right), who along with Captain Morgan (who is missing from this photograph) were

mortally wounded by the same shell that killed Lieut.-Col. Compton in June 1917 at Messines.

Edited by Jools Mc

HarryBrook and MxD much thanks.

Apologies for the confusion. I was refering to the linked despatches on the original post. I realise there were other links to various despatches on this thread. I did know that Lieut.-Col. H.W. Compton was mentioned in despatches once during WW1 but couldn't find a reference to it, so I really appreciate your help. I do know that his Battalion, which was part of the 24th Division, suffered heavy casualties at the Battle of Loos, which was just weeks after they'd arrived in France. I also know the 24th Division were somewhere around the Wulverghem sector in March 1916 and subjected to gas attacks, which is shortly before Lieut.-Col. H.W. Compton's mention in despatches, though I'm still trying to find out more about his battalion's record in the field. Regarding Lieut.-Col. C.W. Compton I had no idea he was mentioned in despatches five times. I do know he arrived in France on 22 August 1914 and was wounded on 26 August 1914 at Ligny during the Battle of Le Cateau while he was still a Major. After being hospitalised in England he returned to France on 21 December 1914 and was promoted to Lieut.-Col. and Battalion C.O., owing to the previous C.O. being removed after he was deemed unfit to lead his men in the field and 'invalided' back to England to command a Home Battalion. On 27 June 1915, Lieut.-Col. C.W. Compton was appointed Brigadier-General and G.O.C. 14th Brigade. I understand from his biography that he took part in many battles on the Western Front right up until November 1918 and I knew he had been mentioned in despatches on 30 November 1915. I would appreciate if you could give me details of his other MiDs. In addition to H.W. and C.W. Compton, three other close relatives of mine fought in the Great War, including my grandfather, who was born in 1899 and lied about his age so he could join up and fight alongside his father and brother, who both served as gunners in the Royal Field Artillery. My grandfather went into the Machine Gun Corps and was sent to Gallipoli and then shot and gassed at the Battle of the Somme when he was still just 16 years old. His older brother and father were both severely wounded and invalided out in 1915. I have been reading military history for many years, though my focus was mainly on either ancient or classic periods, or on WW2 and Vietnam. Discovering these family connections to the Great War has motivated me to want to find out more, as until quite recently I was almost completely ignorant of the details of how, why, where and when our men fought during the conflict. It has also made me realise that my old belief that followed the cliche of 'Lions led by donkeys' was completely false. I look upon them all as heroes and remember them and their sacrifices with much love and gratitude, not only each year in November but always.

Edited by Jools Mc
correcting typo

I imagine Harrybrook was referring to references in the LG rather than 5 Mentions in Despatches ie including promotions and appointments.  Bu no doubt he will clarify, I don't find that number in fact I can't find any MiD entries for him (CW Compton for the avoidance of doubt)

Max

MaxD. Yes, I was thinking the same, but he did actually receive 5 MiDs between 1915-17 (twice each in 1916 and 1917). It makes me wonder what he was doing at Brigade HQ to earn those mentions.