Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Soldier (update)

nunnj1954

Neil,

I think John was only offering a note of caution before jumping to conclusions.

I've not seen anywhere where John has claimed this to be a myth. He, as well as all of us, recognise there are many, many soldiers who are uncommemorated and only recommends thorough research into this person before assuming he is one of these. There are a variety of possibilities as to why a person is listed on a memorial and not with the CWGC and these must be discounted before making a claim.

I also would have to agree that 45,000 can only, by the very nature of the work, be classed as an 'estimate' until each one has been thoroughly investigated. This is not to dispute the figure, and it may very well turn out to be accurate, but it cannot be absolute until the work is concluded.

Tim L.

Guest geoff501
I also would have to agree that 45,000 can only, by the very nature of the work, be classed as an 'estimate' until each one has been thoroughly investigated. This is not to dispute the figure, and it may very well turn out to be accurate, but it cannot be absolute until the work is concluded.

The website does not give any clue to how this figure was arrived at. Does anybody know?

Geoff

I don't, I'm afraid. At various parts of the website it refers to 15,000, 20,000 and 45,000.

Within it's Frequently Asked Questions section (where it refers to 15,000/20,000), it concludes "The truth is that nobody really knows for sure".

Which is exactly the point I was also making.

John

Okay John in this instance I rekon your right...

I'll consider myself admonished then!

It was not my intent to cause offence or upset and for this I apologise...

Neil