Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A A LUXMOORE 1914

SHARONCMAUD

HI AGAIN - ALL YOU CLEVER PEOPLE OUT THERE - CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THIS ONE, I BOUGHT THIS PICTURE BECAUSE IT WAS IN A BEAUTIFUL GILDED FRAME, ON THE PAPER AT THE BACK OF THE FRAME WAS WRITTEN A A LUXMOORE 1914, INSIDE SCRATCHED ON THE WOODEN BACK BOARD IT SAYS THE SAME, I LOOKED HIM UP ON CWGC - NOT LISTED, SO POSSIBLY SURVIVED THE WAR, ON LOOKING THROUGH AN OLD MEDAL BOOK, I CAME ACROSS THE SALE OF THE VC AT SOTHEBY'S I THINK IN THE 1960'S (BEAR WITH ME THIS IS ALL FROM MEMORY), I'LL HUNT THE BOOK OUT IN A BIT. I THINK THE NAME WAS SPELT DIFFERENTLY, EG. LOOSEMORE, COULD THIS BE ONE OF THE SAME, CAN ANYONE TELL FROM THE PHOTO WHAT REGIMENT AND RANK HE WAS. IT WAS FRAMED BY T RUSHWORTH AND SONS, CARVERS AND GILDERS, SADLER ST. DURHAM, LETS SEE HOW FAR WE GET WITH THIS ONE !!! I AM OFF TO LOOK FOR THE MEDAL BOOK NOW, WILL POST PHOTO OF RELEVANT PAGE WHEN I GET IT. BYE FOR NOW.

post-10587-1142072451.jpg

I don't think the list I have for VC's awarded in 1914 is 100% complete, but it doesn't mention a Luxmoore.

Sgt A Loosemore won the VC 1917 serving with the West Yorks.

Bob.

IS HE WEARING A WEST YORKS REGT BADGE, AND A SGTS UNIFORM ? IN THIS PHOTO. DIDN'T HE SELL HIS VC - STILL SEARCHING FOR MY LITTLE BOOK THAT HAS THE DETAILS IN !!!

I'm not able to confirm for sure but I think that a large and well to do LUXMOOR(E) family are buried in the Ashford area - possibly in the Bilsington parish churchyard. The family graves are decayed badly. I have taken photos and if my memory serves me right one grave lists an officer killed in France. Another lists a Lt General with loads of honours and decorations (including Star of India).

I will check my records...

Neil

I'm not able to confirm for sure but I think that a large and well to do LUXMOOR(E) family are buried in the Ashford area - possibly in the Bilsington parish churchyard. The family graves are decayed badly. I have taken photos and if my memory serves me right one grave lists an officer killed in France. Another lists a Lt General with loads of honours and decorations (including Star of India).

I will check my records...

Neil

HE DOES SEEM TO HAVE A LOOK OF AIR AND DISTINCTION ABOUT HIM DOESN'T HE AND AS I SAY IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL FRAME - I AM NOT TOO BOTHERED ABOUT THE POTRAIT, SO IF WE COULD LINK IT TO A FAMILY I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO LET THEM HAVE IT, OR TO THE PERSON WHO BOUGHT THE VC, I AM SURE HE WOULD WANT THIS TO PUT WITH IT.

Sgt A Loosemore won the VC 1917 serving with the West Yorks.

Bob.

He died at the age of 28/29.The chap in the pic is older and an officer.

Roland.

Gazette entries.

LG 26-8-1916

GARRISON BATTALIONS

Northumberland Fusiliers

A A Luxmoore to be Lieutenant 8-8-1916

LG 10-10-1917

The undermentioned, from West Yorks. Regt., and to retain their seniority: —

ROYAL DEFENCE CORPS.

Temp. Capt. A. A. Luxmoore to be temp., Capt. 3rd Aug. 1917

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

LG 1-6-1918

General List.

Capt. A. A. Luxmoore, from R.D.C., to

be Capt., for duty as a Bde. JBombing Officer,

retaining his seniority. 2nd June 1918.

LG 1-9-1919

General List

Capt. A. A. Luxmoore relinquishes his commission on ceasing to be empld., 2nd Sept. 1919, and retains the rank of Capt.

Also:

According to the Times of 29-2-1940 a man called A. A. Luxmoore (under-sheriff) attended the funeral of Dr J S G Pemberton at Durham Cathedral on 28-2-1940.

And , Times 2-2-1946

Forthcoming Marriages

Flight Lieutenant E. Luxmoore to Miss D J Coote

The engagement is announced between Flight Lieutenant Edmund Luxmoore, of Ardochy, Invergerry, Invernesshire, son of Mr & Mrs A. A. Luxmoore of Burnhopeside Hall, Lanchester, Co. Durham, and Diana Jean, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs John Methuen Coote, of 51 Sloane Gardens, W1.

Also, on 14-3-1951 he attended the funeral of Col. C. E. Vickery at St Marys' Whorlton.

Times 31-10-1953

Dispute in Durham / Chester-le-Street Justices. Present Part-Time Clerk A. A. Luxmoore asked to stay on until his 75th birthday in July 1955. Committee agreed two months extension. Mr Luxmoore stated that he was prepared to stay on.

Steve.

Gazette entries.

LG 10-10-1917

The undermentioned, from West Yorks. Regt., and to retain their seniority: —

ROYAL DEFENCE CORPS.

Temp. Capt. A. A. Luxmoore to be temp., Capt. 3rd Aug. 1917

LG 1-6-1918

General List.

Capt. A. A. Luxmoore, from R.D.C., to

be Capt., for duty as a Bde. JBombing Officer,

retaining his seniority. 2nd June 1918.

LG 1-9-1919

General List

Capt. A. A. Luxmoore relinquishes his commission on ceasing to be empld., 2nd Sept. 1919, and retains the rank of Capt.

Also:

According to the Times of 29-2-1940 a man called A. A. Luxmoore (under-sheriff) attended the funeral of Dr J S G Pemberton at Durham Cathedral on 28-2-1940.

And , Times 2-2-1946

Forthcoming Marriages

Flight Lieutenant E. Luxmoore to Muiss D J Coote

The engagement is announced between Flight Lieutenant Edmund Luxmmoore, of Ardochy, Invergerry. Invernesshire, son of Mr & Mrs A. A. Luxmoore of Burnhopeside Hall, Lanchester, Co. Durham, and Diama Jean, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs John Methuen Coote, of 51 Sloane Gardens, W1.

Also, on 14-3-1951 he attended the funeral of Col. C. E. Vickery at St Marys' Whorlton.

Steve.

THIS IS OUR MAN - INCREDIBLE - WOULD YOU CO DOWN THE LONDON ROUTE OR THE DURHAM - I NOTICE ON THE BACK OF THE PHOTO, IT WAS TAKEN BY A DURHAM PHOTOGRAPHER - I WONDER HOW THESE THINGS END UP NOT BEING IN THE FAMILY - I COULD NOT PART WITH OUR PHOTO FOR ANYTHING...CAN ANYONE OUT THERE CHECK THE DURHAM OR LONDON PHONEBOOK FOR LUXMOORE, MAYBE THERE WERE NO CHILDREN !!! BUT STILL YOU WOULD HOPE THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE PREFERABLY FAMILY WOULD WANT THIS LOVELY PHOTO., OR EVEN A LIBRARY OR MUSEUM, I HOPE SOMEONE COMES FORWARD. THANKS A LOT STEVE YOU ARE SO HELPFUL - APPRECIATE IT.

A bit more and his full name...

Times 17-12-1965

LUXMOORE - On 16th December 1965, in her sleep at the Herds House, Coxdale, Durham, LUCY LUXMOORE DUNVILLE LUXMOORE, aged 85, beloved wife of ALLAN AYLMER LUXMOORE. Funeral service 2pm on 20th December at her parish church St Oswald Durham followed by private cremation.

Steve.

Also,

Times 26-2-1969

LUXMOORE - On 24th February 1969, at Herds House, Coxdale, Durham, in his 90th year. ALLAN AYLMER LUXMOORE much loved husband of the late Lucy and father of Edmund and the late Michael. Funeral at st Oswald's Church 10.45am Friday followed by private cremation.

Steve.

Now we have a name:

LG 17-8-1915

Re JOHN GEOFFREY STOBART, Deceased.

Pursuant to the Act of Parliament 22nd and 23rd Viet., cap. 35, intituled " An Act to further amend the Law of Property and to relieve Trustees." NOTICE is hereby given, that all creditors and persons having any claims or demands upon or against the estate of John Geoffrey Stobart, late of Harperley Park, in the county of Durham, and

of Pembroke College, Cambridge, a Second Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion Rifle Brigade, deceased (who was killed in action at St. Eloi. in Belgium, on the 15th day of March, 1915, and whose will was proved by

Allan Aylmer Luxmoore, of 5, North Bailey, in the city of Durham Solicitor, one of the executors therein named, in the Durham District Probate Registry, on the 14th day of May, 1915), are hereby required to

send particulars of their claims and demands to the undersigned, the Solicitors for the said executor, on or before the 15th day of September, 1915, after which date the said executor will proceed to distribute the assets of the said deceased among the parties entitled

thereto, having regard only to the claims of which he shall then 'have had notice; and that he will not be liable for the assets, or any part thereof, so distributed, to any person of whose debt, claim or demand

he shall not then have had notice.—Dated this 14th day of August, 1915.

WILSONS, ORNSBY and CADLE, 5, North Bailey, Durham, Solicitors for the said Executor.

LG 4-1-1949

Commissions signed by The Lord Lieutenant of the

County of Durham.

Major Ross Scott McLaren, D.S.O., M.B.E., T.D., of Cleadon Grange, near Sunderland

Major Frank Douglas Nicholson, T.D., of Quarry Hill, Brancepeth

Captain Allan Aylmer Luxmoore, of Burnhopeside Hall, near Lanchester

to be Deputy Lieutenants for the county of Durham.

—Dated 30th December, 1948.

Also various announcements when acting as solicitors (Wilson & Co) up to 1965 when his son Edmund appears to be part of the practice as well.

In the 1930s he was a director of Hedley Hope Colliery.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/company/h024.htm

And an article about his daughter-in-law, Diana Luxmoore during WW2.

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_no...res/141204.html

Finally, someone called Leonard (probably the son of Michael, grandson of Diana, great-grandson of Allan Aylmer?) has put Allan Aylmer Luxmoore on GenesReunited.

Steve.

He is also listed in Kellys Directory for Durham 1914, He is listed as been a solicitor in Stockton-on-Tees.

Luxmoore Allen Aylmer M.A. Oxen. solicitor (firm, Wilsons, Ornsby & Cadle), 11 Finkle street. TN 166.

It also appears he was working as a solicitor in Durham city during the 1920's-30's,

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:sOqtj...uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

John

Now we have a name:

LG 17-8-1915

Re JOHN GEOFFREY STOBART, Deceased.

Pursuant to the Act of Parliament 22nd and 23rd Viet., cap. 35, intituled " An Act to further amend the Law of Property and to relieve Trustees." NOTICE is hereby given, that all creditors and persons having any claims or demands upon or against the estate of John Geoffrey Stobart, late of Harperley Park, in the county of Durham, and

of Pembroke College, Cambridge, a Second Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion Rifle Brigade, deceased (who was killed in action at St. Eloi. in Belgium, on the 15th day of March, 1915, and whose will was proved by

Allan Aylmer Luxmoore, of 5, North Bailey, in the city of Durham Solicitor, one of the executors therein named, in the Durham District Probate Registry, on the 14th day of May, 1915), are hereby required to

send particulars of their claims and demands to the undersigned, the Solicitors for the said executor, on or before the 15th day of September, 1915, after which date the said executor will proceed to distribute the assets of the said deceased among the parties entitled

thereto, having regard only to the claims of which he shall then 'have had notice; and that he will not be liable for the assets, or any part thereof, so distributed, to any person of whose debt, claim or demand

he shall not then have had notice.—Dated this 14th day of August, 1915.

WILSONS, ORNSBY and CADLE, 5, North Bailey, Durham, Solicitors for the said Executor.

LG 4-1-1949

Commissions signed by The Lord Lieutenant of the

County of Durham.

Major Ross Scott McLaren, D.S.O., M.B.E., T.D., of Cleadon Grange, near Sunderland

Major Frank Douglas Nicholson, T.D., of Quarry Hill, Brancepeth

Captain Allan Aylmer Luxmoore, of Burnhopeside Hall, near Lanchester

to be Deputy Lieutenants for the county of Durham.

—Dated 30th December, 1948.

Also various announcements when acting as solicitors (Wilson & Co) up to 1965 when his son Edmund appears to be part of the practice as well.

In the 1930s he was a director of Hedley Hope Colliery.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/company/h024.htm

And an article about his daughter-in-law, Diana Luxmoore during WW2.

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_no...res/141204.html

Finally, someone called Leonard (probably the son of Michael, grandson of Diana, great-grandson of Allen Aylmer?) has put Allen Aylmer Luxmoore on GenesReunited.

Steve.

I FEEL ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY COMING !!!! I HAVE CONTACTED HIM THROUGH GENESREUNITED, I SHALL KEEP YOU INFORMED, THIS SITE IS TRULY AMAZING - UNBELIEVABLE - THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I FEEL ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY COMING !!!! I HAVE CONTACTED HIM THROUGH GENESREUNITED, I SHALL KEEP YOU INFORMED, THIS SITE IS TRULY AMAZING - UNBELIEVABLE - THANK YOU SO MUCH.

SUCCESS - LEONARD EMAILED THIS MORNING, I AM POSTING OUT PHOTO IN THE MORNING !!!!!! HE IS DELIGHTED TO HAVE THE PHOTO.....THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HARD WORK YET AGAIN......XXX

Glad to help, Sharon.

Hope someone does this for me, sometime!

Steve.

Glad to help, Sharon.

Steve.

Recieved this morning - posting it off today -Hello Sharon,

Many thanks for yours. My wife tells me that as a small girl before the 1939 War (she was born in 1929), she used often to stay with Great Aunt Grace who lived at 21 North Baily in Durham City. On at least one occasion she was taken to see Uncle Allan, who sent his chauffeaur with the Rolls to collect her! She can't remember much but it was a hugh house with pillars in front and he was the MFH and blew his hunting horn to amuse. House perhaps"Shincliffe, Co Durham"

On a more serious note she thinks that his son Edmund(born 1914) had a son whohe named Michael after his younger brother who was killed in May 1940. I have not been able to trace him, but Susie says there was much wealth from the Luxmoore aunt's estate at Okehampton in Devon, and they had a grouse moor in Scotland. So there may be a closer relative.

There is I think a likeness to her father and Allan A. I attach a picture.

post-10587-1142208883.jpg

Glad to help, Sharon.

Steve.

GOSH HOW WEIRD IS THIS, I WAS JUST DOING A SEARCH ON CWGC AND FOUND THIS SOLDIER !!!

Name: MAUDE, CHRISTOPHER AYLMER FRANCIS

Initials: C A F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Welsh Guards

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 27/05/1944

Service No: 149154

Additional information: Son of Capt. Aylmer Probyn Maude and of Vera Marion Maude (nee Davidson), of Chelsea, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 19.

Cemetery: CASSINO WAR CEMETERY

NOTICE THE MIDDLE NAME, OUR SURNAME LOST THE E OVER DIFFERENT DECADES DEPENDING ON WHO WROTE OUT THE CERTIFICATEOR CENSUS.

YOU NEVER KNOW DO YOU !!!!

Hi stevie, thought you might like a laugh, I was searching on CWGC, and this came up, for the first time ever, in my search I didn't enter which war - Look what came up:::::

Name: MAUDE, CHRISTOPHER AYLMER FRANCIS

Initials: C A F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Welsh Guards

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 27/05/1944

Service No: 149154

Additional information: Son of Capt. Aylmer Probyn Maude and of Vera Marion Maude (nee Davidson), of Chelsea, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 19.

Cemetery: CASSINO WAR CEMETERY

IS THIS AMAZING OR WHAT, THE PHOTO HAS BEEN POSTED ALREADY, SO I HAVE SENT THEM AN EMAIL, YOU HAVE JUST GOT TO LAUGH HAVEN'T YOU, WOULDN'T IT JUST BE AMAZING IF YES WE WERE RELATED, AS OUR NAME LOST THE E AFTER 1850 AND KEPT COMING BACK DEPENDING ON WHO FILLED OUT THE FORMS, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.... I AM IN SHOCK...I SHALL KEEP YOU INFORMED, SHARON MAUD (with or without the E!!!!)

Sharon

I believe that Allan Aylmer Luxmoore was born as Allan Aylmer Wilson on 17th July 1880 he was educated at Aysgarth School and Oxford.

His father John George Wilson was a Durham solicitor who inherited Staindrop Hall home of the Luxmoore family which is situated in Staindrop Village, County Durham under the condition that his family changed their surname to Luxmoore.

J G Wilson and his son A A Wilson were both talented sprinters. they were both at Oxford and J G W won the 100 yards three years in a row in the record time of 10.0 seconds.

Regards

Pam

Do you happen to know how Maude's came into the family, or where the name Aylmer originated from? still amazes me how knowledgeable everyone is out there, thanks for the information

I believe that Allan Aylmer Luxmoore was born as Allan Aylmer Wilson on 17th July 1880

Well done Pam...where did you find that out....yep he is listed on the 1837.com, births; Allan Aylmer Wilson ; from Jul-Aug-Sep 1880

John

On 6th December there was a Fine Arts Sale at Anderson and Garland in Newcastle which included a number of pictures by the artist Ralph Hedley.

Lot 263 was described as follows:

Ralph Hedley 29 1/4in. x 24 1/4in. (74.5 x 62cm) A portrait of J.G. Wilson and his son A.A. Wilson, at Staindrop Hall, with the Oxford 100 Yards Cup Signed and dated 1903; Sold together with a framed photograph and an unframed mezzotint, each depicting the same subject as the painting above.

NB: Staindrop Hall, home of the Luxmoore family is situated in Staindrop Village, County Durham and was inherited by J.G. Wilson, a Durham solicitor under the condition that his family changed their surname to Luxmoore. Wilson was a friend and patron of Ralph Hedley and purchased many of his pictures and items of carved furniture. He owned around thirty Hedley paintings at the time of his death in 1929. J.G. Wilson and his son A.A. Wilson were both talented sprinters, though J.G.W. was the better of the two. They were both at Oxford and J.G.W. won the 100 yards three years in a row, once in the record time of 10.0 seconds (at the time possibly a world record as international running hardly existed in 1870).

See illustration £3000-5000

I did some investigation on the Census and Births indexes and came to the conclusion that this was the same family. They appear on the 1901 Census in south Bailey, Durham as Wilson so presumably the change was after that.

Pam