Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

northamptonshire regiment 6th battalion

machin

A similar article was published with a picture the following week (27-4-1918):

post-6536-0-57495300-1325797668.jpg

The "contemporary" referred to in the article is the Peterborough Advertiser's rival weekly newspaper, the Peterborough and Huntingdonshire Standard, who also printed a very similar article on 20-4-1918 :

post-6536-0-65474700-1325797751.jpg

Steve.

The picture published with the "Standard" article:

post-6536-0-77993900-1325798029.jpg

The article below was published in the Standard on 27-11-1915 after his first wounding:

post-6536-0-85118500-1325798053.jpg

along with a different picture:

AlbertSidneyRimesPHS27-11-1915.jpg

Finally, a picture of Archie (Thomas Archer) Rimes and Albert Sidney Rimes after both were wounded at Loos - this from teh Peterborough Advertiser of 9-10-1915:

post-6536-0-20892200-1325798716.jpg

and article:

post-6536-0-68304700-1325798598.jpg

Service records for Thomas Archer Rimes are on Ancestry. He was with the 24th Divisional Signal Company at the time his brother was killed, and prseumably went over to find out what had happened once the dust had settled.

All the above extracts are from microfilm and are therefor a bit rubbish quality. The original papers will be a lot better quality - the Peterborough Archives at the Library have copies of the original papers.

I think that Albert's cap badge in the above picture looks more like the Royal engineers - he may have joined the R.E. for a while and then transferred to the Northamptons later?

Lastly, are you sure it was Walter who was nicknamed "Archie" as the articles imply that "Archie" was Thomas Archer Rimes. Walter Arthur would have been about 13 in 1900 (more than a nipper) whereas Thomas Archer was about 4.

EDIT: Just realised Albert has a service record surviving for his first period of enlistment. (and he did join the R.E. first)

Steve.

Sorry my mistake ! Archie was Thomas archer rimes , walter was his older half brother as walters father re married I am trying to upload photos we have as we have sidneys order of service and some excellent clear photos

I think you should be able to upload photos once you have 5 posts (they then need to be under 100kb, or you can upload larger images onto a photo hosting site and post a link).

Which church was he a member of - St Augustines on Oundle Road is probably the closest C of E church?

Steve.

I will find that out and get back to you thankyou for replying so quickly myself and my grandmother did not no how he was killed and we were touched to no he died saving a friend . In the family is archies war diary so am getting that in few days and will post some of his entries . I am 25 now and do remember uncle archie he lived with his sister ettie and she always said life was never the same with out sid around .... If you have any other questions I will try my best to get the answers.

Phil

I would certainly be interested in Archie's diary and any pictures you can post. I am always interested in our local heroes - especially if they are Northamptonshire Regiment men.

Steve.

I will try and upload the photos today ? If not will have to try a differnt way of getting them to you ie email etc

I keep trying to upload photos but it wont allow it . Is it possible to send the photos to you via email? also yes it was st augustine's church he attended.

Hello Phil. E-mail me on *********** and I'll have a look at the photos and posted them here if you want me to.

I will also see if I can sort out a transcription of the 7th battalion history for you.

Steve.

EDIT: e-mail address now removed

Edited by Stebie9173

I took a slight diversion on the way to the match this afternoon and checked out the war memorial panels on the lych gate at St Augustines, but Albert Rimes is not listed on the two panels. Odd.

Steve.

Oh that is strange according to my grandma she said the whole family attended that church I will ask again plus that would be great I would like to find out more info ? I should be getting archies war diary prob is that side of family are in crowland ! I'm sure they even have a letter from bill Poole to SIDS mother explaining how sid had saved his life. I will email them over to you and I hope you have more luck

Plus I will email over a picture of all the children as that photograph has got walter Arthur rimes in

Plus I will email over a picture of all the children as that photograph has got walter Arthur rimes in

Thanks Phil, I have received the photos. Do you want me to post them up here, as I suppose the family one at least is probably not entirely relevant to the war years?

I can't explain why he isn't on the war memorial on the Lych-gate of St Augustines. The only thing I can think of is that Bread Street was part of Fletton rather than being part of Woodstone and therefore he wasn't "of this parish" and didn't qualify, despite the family obviously being parishioners. I don't know exactly where the boundaries of the parish lie now, let alone then but the 1901 Census where they are at 11 Tower Street and 1911 Census which list them at 32 Bread Street show both the addresses as part of Fletton. The only other thought is that he could have been a Baptist or such like (one of my relatives was from Orchard Street which adjoins Bread Street, but was a Baptist so doesn't appear either).

Incidentally, the shop mentioned on the 1911 Census that Sarah Rimes ran at 32 Bread Street was a confectioners shop. Bread Street doesn't really exist any more apart from a sign on a pedestrian walk next to the convenience store on Oundle Road and the Swiss Cottage pub that was on Bread Street and is still going.

Here are the names of the Lych Gate at St Augustines Church at Woodstone

StAugustinesLychGateMemorialPart1.jpg

StAugustinesLychGateMemorialPart2.jpg

Steve.

Here is the picture of Albert Sidney Rimes:

AlbertSidneyRimes.jpg

Steve.

I no that the shop later became a cycle shop ran by SIDS younger brother ted ? What I will do is get archies diary and any other relevant photos and let you no how I get on ? Strange about the memorial ?

I just looked online and you are correct he is listed on the old fletton memorial

• 4 years later...

I am researching Private 40362 Arnold Percival Lemmon, who came from Ely, Cambs and enlisted at Newmarket. He served first with the 2nd and later with the 6th Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment. He was KIA on 29th September 1918, aged 20.

Please, can anybody give me any more information about this soldier, or what the 6th Battalion were doing on the date of his death? Any information or suggestions will be gratefully received.

• 7 years later...

Steve, 

I see the your post about Walter Plowman and receiving the distinguished conduct medal. Walter is my 2 x Great Grandfather and have only recently come to know a little about him. 
The links you posted with a write up doesn’t seem to work,  I’ve been looking ever since and can’t find anything anywhere! 
please any information you can give would be amazing. 

cheers,

Mitch.

5BAF2CC0-B551-46B7-BDCD-367EB676DABD.jpeg

784858ED-AE43-4D3F-A903-C05B41FA5D43.jpeg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. With periodic upgrades, images do get lost unfortunately. Hopefully @Stebie9173 still has the images and can repost for you. 

Images now reposted (I note my write-up has his mother's married and maiden names mixed around).

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Steve thanks for the repost, it makes me feel proud to see what a honour they carried out. I’m currently in a confusion with his mother’s name. I believe she actually become Anderson after a Plowman but struggling with the paper trail. 
As you have researched the regiment, what battles could you tell me they where involved in please, as I would like to follow their footsteps through France.

once again thank you.

• Admin

War diaries are here, free to download after free registration. I see Walter went overseas late July 1915, so this will give you their movements, and what actions they took part in.  What I don’t know, is when he was transferred out of the Northamptonshire Regiment , as per his medal index card. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352999