Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

northamptonshire regiment 6th battalion

machin

post-22577-1183838113.jpg

post-22577-1183837929.jpg

Hello Steve

I hope I have attached these alright. Thank you for clarifying the Trench Mortar bit. I had had the idea initially that he was taken right away from his regiment but it sounds as if it wasn't quite like that.

Thank you for checking the History of the 54th Infantry Brigade. The officer who wrote to Ted's mother when he died (would that have been Captain McWha?) said "his great modesty and unassumingness rather kept him in the background during training in England; but as soon as there was real hard work and danger to be faced out here, your son's great qualities soon brought him to the fore". So perhaps he was too quiet to get a mention while he was with the Trench Mortar Battery.

Have you been to the battle site? post-22577-1183837929.jpg

Angie

post-22577-1183838248.jpg

post-22577-1183837929.jpg

Hello Steve

I hope I have attached these alright. Thank you for clarifying the Trench Mortar bit. I had had the idea initially that he was taken right away from his regiment but it sounds as if it wasn't quite like that.

Thank you for checking the History of the 54th Infantry Brigade. The officer who wrote to Ted's mother when he died (would that have been Captain McWha?) said "his great modesty and unassumingness rather kept him in the background during training in England; but as soon as there was real hard work and danger to be faced out here, your son's great qualities soon brought him to the fore". So perhaps he was too quiet to get a mention while he was with the Trench Mortar Battery.

Have you been to the battle site? post-22577-1183837929.jpg

Angie

Thanks for posting the pictures, Angie.

Ted and your grandad seem to have been two peas from a pod... Handsome chaps both, no doubt!

No, I haven't been to the battle site. I haven't actually been to the Western Front yet. I've been researching my family history and the Northamptonshire Regiment for a couple of years and haven't had the chance.

The officer writing to Ted's family wouldn't be Captain McWha as he had been seriously wounded at Boom Ravine. A grenade exploded in his face, fracturing his skull and he didn't regain consciousness for a long while, in fact it was amazing he recovered as much as he did. He died in 1922 of the epileptic attacks brought on by his injuries. The officer writing to Captain Winkworth's parents would have very probably have been Major Hubert Podmore, as he would have been the only officer actually senior to Captain Winkworth who survived the battle. The new Commanding Officer Robert Meyricke was killed at Boom Ravine, so it wouldn't have been him. The new C.O. Lt. Colonel Reginald Turner arrived on 1st March 1917, and Major Podmore stood in as C.O. until then. The other option is the Adjutant, Lieutenant/Captain Thomas Price.

Steve.

• 2 years later...

Dear all

I am a new to this site and I am wondering if anyone assist me with the action involving the 6th Bn Northamptonshire in Sept 1915, I am researching a L/Cpl Martin mansfield RIMES killed on the 28th Sept 1915 , he was from peterborough area

many thanks

Simon Taylor

I think I can help - I am also related (though not directly) to Martin Mansfield Rimes. I'll be back in a sec!

Steve.

Simon,

My "relation" to him is rather distant but Martin Rimes' grandfather, Martin Rimes, and my great-great-grandmother, Ann Rimes, were brother and sister.

Martin Rimes was killed during the explosion of a German mine under the British lines near Fricourt. When mines were exploded there was usually a rush by the infantry to either take the lip of the mine crater to establish a new line or to defend and rebuild what was left. In Martin's case he was part of a group trying to rebuild the British trench parapet blown up by a German mine. Both he and a comrade, Walter Plowman, were recommended fro the Distinguished Conduct Medal for their actions - Walter Plowman's was awarded, but unfortunately Martin's medal could not be awarded posthumously. Their officer, Robert William Beacham, was also decorated for the night's work - receiving the Military Cross.

Below is a small write-up of the two men recommended for the D.C.M.:

MartinManfieldRimes6thBn.jpg.d7ceb47ee5b676e34b764abcce3e1d9b.jpg

A larger version of the pcture, though it is rather "noisy".

MartinMansfieldRimes.jpg.d05fdf83f21d3e6f486e3bbb16a96380.jpg

Are you related to him, or is this for a different project, may I ask?

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

I think I can help - I am also related (though not directly) to Martin Mansfield Rimes. I'll be back in a sec!

Steve.

Steve ,

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Er, note my second post above.... :thumbsup:

Steve.

A slightly less noisy pic:

post-6536-1259279791.jpg

and his obituary:

Peterborough Advertiser 9th October 1915

post-6536-1259279922.jpg

Steve.

A slightly less noisy pic:

post-6536-1259279791.jpg

and his obituary:

Peterborough Advertiser 9th October 1915

post-6536-1259279922.jpg

Steve.

Steve ,

I am absolutely bowled over by your access to the information and I am eternally grateful for your time and effort.

I am related to the Rimes by marriage, Martin will be my wife's Great Uncle as her Great Grandfather is Frederick Arthur Rimes and Gt \Grand mother is Catherine Langford. We still have relatives in the area of peterborough and I live in Northants.

I have taken up the reins of the Rimes tree since my late mother in law Mabel Rimes passed away and I am continually trying to fill in the gaps, I am considering a Web site soon for RIMES , mainly from the Peterborough area and those who can trace a root in that general direction which I hope will expand into a one name study I just need to plan it .

Having interest of things Military, WW1 is unfortunately my weakest subject area .

I have done some Military research for my own family tree and I have moved to the Rimes so I am looking for any help of any kind to expand what little info I have.

I have several other Rimes who joined the Northants (1st, 6th and 7th) , Bedford, Suffolk, Huntingdonshire cycles, Inniskilling Notts/Derby to name a few.

Steve I appreciate you appear to be focused on the 6th but if you have time to point me in the right direction I would be most grateful and likewise if anyone out there feels they can also help with peice the RIMES of Peterborough please contact me

I will digest the work you have provided Steve I may need further advice later.

many thanks

Simon

My main focus is the 6th, but I do a lot on all the other battalions of the Northamptons, and since I am in Peterborough, I do a bit of the Hunts Cyclists, and the Suffolks/Bedfords et al.

The Rimes family are a very long term Farcet family (also where my ancestors are from between 1800 and 1900-ish). I know that I have seen a few mentions of the Rimes' during my travels through the local WW1 newspapers, so just let us know who you are researching.

Steve.

Steve,

Ref the other Rimes that I will be looking into are:-

Walter Arthur Rimes 2nd RI Inniskilling Fus enlisted Oct 1916 , wounded 1917 survived the war parents lived in 32 Bread St Old Fletton

Walter's Brother Albert Sydney RIMES Pte 17723 7th Northants Rgt Killed 25-3-1918 near Nesle.

Albert C Rimes Pte 203928 7th Bn Beds Rgt killed 9 Dec 1917

Harold Rimes Pte 84191 Royal tank Corp, died 26/12/1918 I believe his death was due to flu upon his return from the war (Spanish Flu?) I dont know much about him

John Albert Rimes Cpl 43449 1st Bn Beds Rgt killed 28/06/1917.

I am sure there are other Rimes but as yet I have not found them.

I live in the Northampton area so if I can be of any assistance to yourself or anyone seeking info at libraries museums etc I am happy to helpRegards

Simon

Do you have the entry for Albert from the book "No More Strangers", by David Gray?

Steve.

No , I recall a a few years back a book that my mother in law obtained from Peterborough library which related to Peterborough's WW1 losses , but i couldnt remember the name or author so It may be the book you refer too.

If it is it maybe worth me seeking out a copy .

Simon

Once you are up to 10 posts you can send me a Personal Message (PM) and let me know your e-mail. I'll send you a copy of the page. Quite a good little article and a picture.

Steve.

• 1 year later...

I shall also be retracing Denzil Heriz-Smith's footsteps in April (or the 6th battalion as a whole, at least), but a week later than the Bedford Grammar School party.

I shall no doubt be visiting quite a few of the same spots (Fricourt, Pommiers Redoubt, Trones Wood). We did wonder whether we will be able to fit in Boom Ravine where Denzil fell, but we may not get the time this time round.

Steve.

Good on you too! If you get a chance to get to Boom Ravine then I realy would recommend it. I always feel it has an atmosphere all of its own. You can stand pretty well on the spot that Heriz-Smith was killed and it is easy to follow the movements of the 6th Northants in the attack.

cheers

• 10 months later...

Dear All and especially Angie,

Firstly, as new to this site I am just overwhelmed with the depth of information available.. just fascinating.

Having read the threads on this message I thought you might like to see the attached photo of Henry Edward Vernon Winkworth, Angie's uncle Ted (and the first cousin of my husband's grandmother, Christina Winkworth). I have been looking into the family tree and managed to get hold of the photo on the web.

Angie - if you would like to get in touch regarding any other family information my email is lizmatthews01@talktalk.net.

Liz Matthews

post-84548-0-04419300-1320355016.jpg

Hello Liz,

When you have 5 posts you will get access to the Personal Message systems and you can send Angie a PM.

In the meantime, if there is anything more you'd like to know, then ask away.

Incidentally, we did manage to fit a trip to Boom Ravine into our schedule, and well worth it it was too!

Steve.

Thanks Steve - am very new to this site but will attempt to get my posts up to 5. Am planning a visit to the battlefields next year so Boom Ridge will be on the agenda.

Kind regards

Liz

• 1 month later...

hi there i am new to this site sidney albert rimes was my grandmothers uncle who was killed in action near nesle 1918 any other information would be great thanks REF SIMON Plus my other relative has walter arther ( Archie ) Rimes diary and has some amazing entries from when he was wounded in the hospital . I have some excellent photos of the rimes family from around 1900s Walter is only a little nipper in it plus a wonderful photo of sidney posing on his bicycle as he was a keen cyclist and member of Peterborough Athletics club. ( Have a Gold plated Medal to prove it ) unfortunately it wont let me upload the photos on here???

Phil,

Albert Sidney Rimes enlisted on either 30th or 31st March 1915 and joined the 7th Battalion, being posted to "C" Company, the Company of the 7th Battalion raised from Peterborough men. He embarked to France with the 7th battalion on 1st September 1915 and saw his baptism of fire at the battle of Loos on 25th September 1915 where he was first wounded. The Peterborough Advertiser of 20-4-1918 printed the following:

"Laid Down His Life For A Friend - Private Albert Sydney Rimes, Northamptonshire Regiment, third son of Mr and Mrs W. Rimes, Bread Street, New Fletton, was killed in action on March 25th. Private Rimes who served an apprenticeship as a Linotype Operator at the office of our contemporary, joined up soon after the outbreak of war, and was wounded at the Battle of Loos in September 1915, and again at Menin Road in July of last year. He was at home on leave on March 15th, and the last letter received from him was dated March 21st, the opening day of the German offensive. He was a well known racing cyclist and very popular amongst a large circle of friends. In a letter received by Mr and Mrs Rimes from another son conveying the intelligence of his brother's death he says: "The last fortnight has been terrible, and I didn't think I should get out of it alive as we have lost such a lot of men. Try and bear it bravely, and keep a stout heart. I made enquiries this morning and saw the fellows who were with him when it happened. He gave his life in trying to save Bill Poole, his chum, it was at ...{censored}... Station, on March 25th, in the morning during a counter attack on the Germans. It appears that a party were in charge of somebody when they were led into a death trap position, and they were quite close to the Germans when they opened fire en them. Bill Poole was hit in both legs, also somebody else, and the remainder clambered down into a trench. Syd would get out to help his mate, and in doing so he was hit straight through the head and was killed instantly. A Peterborough Chum named Sam Crowder has got his wallet and a few things, but he has since been wounded."

"Bill Poole" would have been 17551 William Poole of 295 Lincoln Road, Peterborough, also of "C" Company. He was taken POW, presumably after his wounding on 25th March 1918, and died in Germany on 31-7-1918.

I think "Sam Crowder" is 14898 Ernest Crowder of Peterborough and Alcester, Warwickshire. Wounded, he was also captured (on 26th March 1918) and was a POW at Soltau thereafter.

I assume that the "another son" was 14614 Thomas Archer Rimes, of 32 Bread Street, again of "C" Company of the 7th battalion, who was also wounded at Loos. He transferred to the Royal Engineers some time in 1918, presumably after the retreat.

Steve.

On the 25th March 1918 the 7th Northamptons, were engaged in the fighting withdrawal of British troops west across the Somme. Having been pushed back to Fonchette, they were ordered to counter-attack the Germans east to Curchy and beyond. Having counter-attacked they were outflanked to the south and had to pull back once again. Presumably a number of their wounded had to be left behind in the withdrawal.

I presume that the Station mentioned in the article is the station at Curchy where the D139 crosses the railway line. There is a Station building marked "Curchy-Dreslincourt" there now (using Google Maps street view to look) but the station platform looks rather disused.

post-6536-0-33750000-1325722823.jpg

I have posted extracts from the battalion history here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146439

Steve.