Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Baker Pals Recruiting Poster!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Whilst lounging around suffering daytime television, interspaced with bouts of catching up on my reading, I was wondering whether some clever soul had thought of designing a Baker Pals Recruitment poster. I thought about lifting the picture of Chris off the website, brushing on a 'tache, cap and pointing hand on it with the words 'Our Forum Needs You!' underneath.

Anyone have another suggestions?

Ian

"If Kitchener was not a great man, he was, at least, a great poster". Margot Asquith certainly had a way with words, although this quote has been plagiarised, mangled and misquoted so many times - even wrongly attributed to Herbert Asquith - I'm not sure this version is correct. But I wouldn't have minded if she'd said it about me! Chris.

Ian,

As soon as I read your topic title the famous picture you described immediately popped into my head. It would have to be the obvious choice, but perhaps we have some talented Pal out there who could create something entirely new.

Cheers from Canada,

Terry

Will the 'Colonies' be producing their own, area specific, recruitment posters as well?

Also, we'll need transport to get across the France & Flanders, so shall we all chip-in for our own troopship?

And.....when do I get my rifle so I can look like a real soldier?

Here I go, thinking the unthinkable. Do we actually need any more members? And if so, why, apart from Empire building?

I actually don't have a position on this, I am merely challenging the assumption that growth is a good thing.

Those in favour of stimulating growth [as opposed to letting it happen if it will]please state reasons forthwith.

I think LB makes a valid point. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. New recruits arrive because they are suitably impressed by the level of knowledge, liveliness of debate, amd general good humour. By all means grow, but with muscle rather than surplus weight.

Those who have an interest or are looking for information will get a lot of returns from google or similar just from the amount of traffic we produce. Advertising is not required. Quality not quantitiy.

Aye

Malcolm

Let's have some more. If Chris had stopped Forum membership at 50 people, we wouldn't be having this particular debate.

There will always be some baggage and some sleepers, but the Pals might yet turn up a few new characters......

On the elitism thing if you can call it that, look at my number memebership, i would be pretty pi###d if i had not been given the chance to participate.

Members may come or go and they would choose.The good would contribute the bad would not and would probably not be recognised by those that give the most. But the greatest contributor may just be round the corner waiting to be discovered.

If one person contributes one good post does that make them any the less than a contributor who posts ten good ones a week.

Recruit to all corners of the earth, I tell all that i know of the great forum site i belong too and what there is to be learnt from 'talking'. Some people come to learn rather than contribute is that wrong?

Off Soap box.

Arm.

If one person contributes one good post does that make them any the less than a contributor who posts ten good ones a week.

Arm - No, it certainly does not.

Although we have many very knowledgable contributors in the ranks of the Pals, by the laws of nature they can't know everything.

A new member may well be a student needing some help on their homework, but they could equally be a person who holds information on a little known fact that the rest of us are ignorant of.

I agree that sometimes bigger isn't always best, and that the bigger the beast the more unwieldly it becomes, but as Chris doesn't need to feed, clothe or house us I can't see the problem with us growing.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Oh dear what I started as a bit of highlighted relief has been taken too seriously by some.

The strength of any community is the collective knowledge it has - if the community gets bigger so does the wealth of knowledge. For anyone to suggest that the Forum membership should not be allowed to grow is small minded.

Unbelievable.

Ian :angry:

Oh dear what I started as a bit of highlighted relief has been taken too seriously by some.

Ian - Some of us appreciated your humour! Some just live to be 100% serious ;)

Sorry Ian,

Saw red and let fly, initially i saw it as a bit of fun but then....

Arm.

Here we go then to return it too its original theme.

post-8-1063476893.jpg

I take exception to the text as a recruiting poster for the forum.

What about us ladies are we not welcome? I know we are seriously outnumbered but we still make valuable contributions. :angry::angry:

May I suggest the poster reads "Ladies our forum needs you" - with Brad Pit or Sean Bean wearing a forum branded thong.

Sorry but it took me ages just to get that done :(

Arm.

Appreciate the hard work Arm, but I fear Chris's message may be open to misinterpretation in some quarters...

Why do so many people always fly off at a tangent over things which they have obviously not read and digested fully before switching from inhale to exhale?

A light hearted suggestion about a recruiting poster moved to questioning wether an embargo was going to be placed on forum membership!

I feel the original few correspondents hit the right note - Growth for Growths sake benefits no-one in the long run. Those with an, even as yet, unrealised interest in our passion will find their way here if they want to and will join up by their own volition once they meet us all. Remember the old adage " If you rush to get 'Bums on Seats', that, gentlemen, is exactly what you will get....'BUMS'!" (Sorry, should that have been B**S?) ;)

Hussar,

Just to set the record straight (and yes i realise i should let it go but i am like a dog with a bone)

My initial reaction was ho ho thats a good funny idea, assuming that it could be used on the site as a forum access sign or something. Then i read a few threads that seemed to imply that we were the cream and that all that was to follow would be hangers on. I realise that this was perhaps not the intention that was intended, but combined with bad day at work and tiredness and a D'Artagnanesque attitude to saving the world i charged.

Wrong, i think not. Over reaction, oh alright I suppose so but would i go again you bet i would.

I dont think that the poster was ever meant to be a recruiting symbol just a idea to wile away a re-couperating mans time. But others seemed to take it as an intention to drive up 'Bums on Seats' at all costs. I agree we do not need to go out with the sergeants and the drummer, those that want will find us but i found it hard to swallow that, the implication as i saw it was all that would follow would be hangers on.

I will say no more regarding this as i have probably said too much already and refer all to my poster above as the true spirit of Ians post.

Arm.

Arm,

Sorry Mate, I didn't have you particularly in mind when I posted, to be honest it was a generalisation about the way a few threads seem to have diversified in the recent weeks, so I guess that makes me a tangental offender too! :)

As you will note from my Off. No. I am a sprog compared to you so I would never advocate us becoming like some kind of exclusive club, you know, go on the waiting list, be proposed by existing members etc.,etc.,

It was the way it semed to turn that some seemed to think we should Pressgang people into joining whilst others seemed to want to man the Barricades against the untermensch.

We all came here because we saw it, liked it and wanted to stay and be a part of it. That, I feel, is how it should be

Apologies for any offence.

Hussar,

No offence was taken, it a forum and opinions are posted, its good to say what you think.

For the ladies see below

Poster mark two.

sorry still rushed Frosts on in a second.

Arm.

post-8-1063568352.jpg