Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anzac Cove

Mat McLachlan

Interesting article on page 19 of the Melbourne Herald Sun today and I quote:

“Motorcycle tour operator Mike Ferris knows a bad road when he sees it and he believes the strip at Anzac Cove is better than many he’s ridden in Australia.

Mr Ferris took a group of 16 Australian riders, mostly from Victoria and NSW, on a “safari” along 50km of Gallipoli roads yesterday.

Despite many potholes and roadblocks, he declared them “not too bad at all”

“The Turks have done a good job. The roads are not in perfect shape but it could be worse”

Mr Ferris said that while the road-works had been controversial, “I’m in favour of them instead of having buses doing nine-point turns to get around”

I will offer no comment :ph34r:

Peter

How about no buses at all - now that would've been better.

I'm thinking Mr Ferris is the kind of guy who also thinks the terrain around Anzac Cove would be good for a trail bike/4WD tour. :angry:

Pals,

came across this little gem on the net, published Sunday in the Australian media.

It concerns comments made by the new Australian Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Bruce Billson, just before his flying out to Turkey to attend the ANZAC Day commemorative ceremonies.

The extract reads as follows:

Mr Billson said considerable work had been done in the past 12 months to reduce the impact of a new access road to Anzac Cove.

Rain and bad construction caused part of the road and the car park at Ari Burnu to sink.

"Quite a bit of work has been done to repair the problems," Mr Billson said.

"We've appreciated the co-operation of the Turkish authorities to firstly halt the engineering works that were going on and to make sure that the future work went according to a new plan."

He said there were also new lights this year and fences to keep visitors on marked paths and assembly areas.

End extract.

Point one, all work on the area was halted, as Billson himself later notes, after the fiasco over the road last year. There has not been "quite a bit of work" done. Apart from filling in the more obvious potholes and clearing the spoil from landslides, no work has been done.

Point two, try all the car parks and large portions of the road either breaking up or subsiding.

Point three, some of the fences erected were put up more to keep unwary visitors from falling off the edge of the road and onto ANZAC Cove at points where erosion has worn away the soil above the beach right up to the road bed.

Point four, so now the government admits to bad construction, after saying for ages that the road was great.

Query, doesn’t anyone brief these guys in before they open their mouths?

And now for an update of a different kind. Erosion has claimed another victim on the battlefields, this time a work of nature (no, I am not going to blame the Turkish or Australian authorities for this one.

The front part of the Sphinx, the bit that looked like the head, recently collapsed (with a God almighty crash according to a friend who heard it). The face had worn badly in recent years and had become deeply fractured and so it was no surprise that it finally fell.

While I am here, I would say that for me, motorcycle tour operator Mike Ferris rather misses the point. Personally, I don’t care if the road was a supreme work of engineering art, something to be featured in documentaries due to its excellence. The point is, for me at least, that its construction has caused massive damage to the historic fabric of this significant site, and poor planning and even worse execution is only making this worse.

Here ends the rant.

Cheers

Bill

PS, Tim, forget the trail bike/four wheel drive safaris. At some points above the cove even mountain goats would be struggling.

PS, Tim, forget the trail bike/four wheel drive safaris. At some points above the cove even mountain goats would be struggling.

Can we detour some of the pollies motorcade in that direction :ph34r:

Tim L.

The front part of the Sphinx, the bit that looked like the head, recently collapsed (with a God almighty crash according to a friend who heard it). The face had worn badly in recent years and had become deeply fractured and so it was no surprise that it finally fell.

Bill - this is really sad but as you say, not a surprise.

I guess you will be posting photos of how this has changed the line of the peak in due course.

Jon

Hi Pals,

a bit of good news for a change. Tuesday's ANZAC Day ceremonies on the Peninsula went off pretty much without a hitch and the behaviour of the crowd of some 10,000, including an estimated 3000 Turkish visitors, was excellent. Indeed, in the decade or so since the Dawn Service has become a "mass event" I would say without a doubt that this year's ceremonies were the most dignified, solemn and trouble free I have seen. There was no alcohol, no rowdiness and very little rubbish, most of which was removed within half an hour of the Dawn Service. The Lone Pine ceremony was also marked by the fine behaviour of the crowd who attended and as I understand it from people I spoke to who were at the New Zealand service at Chunuk Bair, the same high standard was met there too.

The ceremonies were well managed and organised, the facilities meet the needs of the crowd and the Australian, New Zealand and Turkish officials involved in organising the events deserve praise. (see, I can say something nice when the occassion merits).

Sorry there isn't more detail but I am running of fumes at the moment, been a long few days.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I watched in on the ABC, it seemed much more intimate than last years.

Don't know if you caught my good day to you on another post before it was pulled.

Just wanted to say saw Battle Field detectives and it was good to put a face to the name. That program helped those of us who haven't been there yet, get an understanding of just how bloody tough it all was.

Cheers

Kim

Bill,

I finally managed to watch the "Battlefield Detectives" episode about Gallipoli.

Where in the world did you find that hat!! All you needed was a few corks. :D

Tim L.

Tim,

I'll have you know that is (was) an Australian army slouch hat. Yes, it may have seen better days but it has accompanied me in my travels for the past 20 years or so. It is just starting to develop character (unlike its owner). Best hat in the world that, keeps the rain off, the sun off, you can use it as a pillow, carry water in it, beat off farm dogs with it. No wonder the Australian troops ditched the British peaked cap.

It wasn't my idea to wear it or the rest of the boots, shirt, shorts ensemble, but the director of the program saw the hat and wanted the full cliched look. He came to regret it late in the day as, with shooting running behind schedule and the sun setting, the hat's brim started casting shadows. (Actually, the director did inquire about corks but I put my foot down, you can have too much of a good thing).

Cheers

Bill

26th April : (see, I can say something nice when the occassion merits).

Dear Bill,

Just wanted you to be sure that I read this !!! :D

cheers

eric

PS : so is your beer glass still half empty ... maybe one day it will be half full ;)

Eric,

it doesn't matter if my glass is half full or half empty, the disaster that is the road above Anzac Cove is enough to drive me to drink (a drive that is safer than travelling on that road).

Bill

Guest gumbirsingpun

bill,,

travelling on the road around anzac cove allday wont make the situation any better,,:)

you should put your feet up and hae a glass of beer,and dont let yer glass be empty:)

tuna

Tuna,

I quite agree that travelling on the coast road in the Anzac sector won't help matters, but as so many people here in Turkey and abroad have done, jumping up and down and screaming just might. Public pressure forced the Turkish and Australian governments to halt the work and agree to a full historical and archaeological survey of the area. The damage that has been done to the coastal strip can never be repaired and the poor standard of workmanship on the road only makes things worse. However, one of the main aims of all those people of many countries who have worked to raise awareness of what has happened at Anzac Cove is to ensure that it doesn't happen elsewhere on the battlefields.

I happen to enjoy a cold beer after a long hike over the battlefields, I'd just like to be sure that there is going to be a battlefield to hike over in the future.

Cheers

Bill

Guest gumbirsingpun

bill,,

i definitely hold with you in the opinion that the damage that has been done to the coastal strip can never be repaired and the poor standard of workmanship on the road only makes things worse.but what cant be cured must be endured, and i think it remains to be seen if there is going to be a battlefield to hike over in the future,

tuna

ps:seems that you always busy in your waking hours? bill

• 1 month later...

As an aside,

Today I found out that a certain minister who was previously responsible for some of the Anzac cove problems has bought a holiday house in my area. As I don't watch television very much, I failed to recognise this person, and consequently have had them in my store several times with out recognising them.

How hard is it going to be to keep my mouth shut next time they are in in.

Bloody hard!

Why? Cause it's on my boss' time.

Wonder if they frequent the pub? That would be fair then, wouldn't it?

Cheers

Kim

Politicians are fairly thick skinned but they buckle if given a really prolonged kicking - and there aint too many votes in the issue anyway.