Anzac Cove

Mat McLachlan

Guest gumbirsingpun

i must tell that i was touched by the pics

the site shud of been left as twas in its orginal condition, this is very bad

tuna

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, especially Bill

Bill thanks for the update photos...I was there for ANZAC Day last year and with the photos have seen the the change. I have also read the Senate Report cover to cover (Bill once again you are a legend).

My PhD topic is ANZAC myth and realities, centring on Education in schools....however a HUGE realties is the cove is almost no more.....

Cheers

Sue

My PhD topic is ANZAC myth and realities, centring on Education in schools....however a HUGE realties is the cove is almost no more.....

Sue are you going to get this published? I would sure like to read it (or just your conclusions).

I've just read the Daily Telegraph article. Its makes sad reading but I knew all that before. What gave me apoplexy was this:

"Former veterans affairs minister De-Anne Kelly was criticised for allowing the Bee Gee's hit Stayin' Alive to be blasted from giant speakers."

Incredulous. Forum rules dont allow me to express my feelings but suffice to say, I hope the Australian electorate will deal with De-Anne Kelly in a suitable manner.

Hi Pals,

Just a quick up date from the front (though actually second hand as I am on a flying visit to OZ, back in Turkey Sunday). Turkish media reports as of 28/3 say that repairs to the ANZAC Cove road have not started as there is a blame game going on between the Turkish Foreign Ministry and the Forestry Ministry as to who is responsible for stopping the work in the first place. However, the governor of Canakkale has promised temporary repairs will be made so the road will be in operation for 25 April.

Also of note is that recent heavy rains caused more land slippages, with half the road covered in earth.

Sue, like Jonathan, I’d love to see the final result of your studies.

It wasn't just the fact Australian officials thought playing Staying Alive was appropriate, there was more than an hour of the Bee Gees inflicted on a captive audience, which constitutes a human rights violation anywhere, let alone at a place as sacred as Gallipoli

Cheers

Bill

It wasn't just the fact Australian officials thought playing Staying Alive was appropriate, there was more than an hour of the Bee Gees inflicted on a captive audience, which constitutes a human rights violation anywhere, let alone at a place as sacred as Gallipoli

:lol:

As expected, no reply from the minister to my email, guys.

Maybe I should ditch the story I'm doing and do one on the Life and Times of Anzac Cove, or How Not to Ruin a Sacred Site.

Including chapters on buck passing between the politicans, how to have a head in the sand approach, etc etc etc.

Bloody Hell, where are the politicians!!

Kim

Guest gumbirsingpun

none o us dinna know the language they speak,which is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable,

thats why they dinna care a fig abot whatever we say

Strange....I never received a reply from the minister either.

Time to throw bricks at their windows I think!!

Seems like the pollies' are all-to-well ready to envoke 'The Anzac Spirit' in their speeches, so why don't they lobby to just leave the bloody place alone? Clowns. All of them.

bombardment time.

If you care about Anzac Cove.

B.Billson.MP@aph.gov.au

Give him both barrels, repeatedly.

Kim

General e-mail sent out today by the DVA.

Minister for Veterans' Affairs Mailing List

DRAFT VA014 4 April 2006

GALLIPOLI ROAD REPAIRS PRIOR TO ANZAC DAY

The Minister for Veterans' Affairs, Bruce Billson, advised in early March that some temporary repairs would be needed on the Anzac Cove road at Gallipoli prior to Anzac Day this year, and that Australian Government officials were liaising with the Turkish authorities about the road and other arrangements for Anzac Day 2006.

"The Turkish Government has stated that temporary repairs to the Anzac Cove road will be completed before Anzac Day," Mr Billson announced today.

"Senior Australian Government officials met with Turkish authorities last week to discuss the condition of the roads and the temporary repairs that Turkish authorities would arrange to have carried out before 25 April.

"The works now under way are primarily surface repairs that include the removal of some minor landslips caused by damage from heavy winter storms on the Gallipoli peninsula," Mr Billson said.

"We greatly appreciate the work the Turkish authorities are undertaking to ensure the Anzac Cove road will be ready for the large crowds expected at Anzac Day services.

"The Australian Government is finalising arrangements for this year's Anzac Day commemorations and I am confident that Anzac Day 2006 will be a memorable experience for everyone travelling to the Gallipoli peninsula," Mr Billson said.

Details of this year's program of Anzac Day commemoration activities overseas are available at www.dva.gov.au/commem/mainco.htm.

I think the important word that needs noting is 'temporary'.

I'm tipping that once Anzac Day 2006 is over the importance of long-term conservation will again slip from the forefront of our pollies minds until they announce more temporary works in early April 2007.

The spin-doctors are alive and well and working hard at their craft in Canberra.

Tim L.

Pals,

there is but one small fault in the press release from the office of Mr Bilson. It is based on the presumption that he was told the truth by the Turkish officials. As of Tuesday, NO work is being carried out on the ANZAC coastal road and it is now with only the greatest difficulty that vehicles can reach the cove. Still, I'm sure it will be right on the night (or at least the dawn).

Turkey's Forestry Minister, Osman Pepe, was on the peninsula on the weekend. He again denied that there had been any damage to historical sites, denied that there wre any major problems with the roadwork, denied that human remains had been disturbed and blamed nameless people for spreading lies. However, he did also acknowledge that he had at times wished the Turkish government had never undertaken the road work around ANZAC Cove. I suggest that most of the members of this forum would feel the same way.

Cheers

Bill

Guest gumbirsingpun

we all know there are many politic games behind those scenes,

as they say, " pay the paper all the tune"

tuna

Hi Pals,

latest from the front regarding the ANZAC Cove road. The road is closed to heavy vehicles due t the risk of accident, the only work that had been carried out is the removal of earth from land slides that blocked the road last week and some repairs to stone work around some drainage culverts. The condition of the new road is worse than the one it replaced and those of you who knew the area BC (before construction) will know that was no Formula One track.

Photos will follow in time.

25 April is 18 days off and counting.

Bill

all I can say for the landscape

....my breaking heart

Thanks for the updates Bill!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

Any updates?? Hopefully the 'road that should never have been built', will collapse underneath the self-serving dignitaries as they are chauffered around Anzac Cove.

Tim L.

Tim,

hi. I as going to post some new pics taken just a while ago but had a problem with the camera. I'm heading out to the Cove today and will try and shoot some more.

The current state of play is that the Turkish authorities have patched the road, filling in the potholes and the places where the road caved in. However, parts of the road above the Cove are now single lane as the risk of collapse is such that vehicles have to be kept away from the seaward edge of the road.

Both Turkish and Australian authorities have said that the road will be right on the night, or at least for the dawn, though all stress that the measures taken are of a temporary nature (yeah, like until we have the same problem next April).

Thankfully for all concerned, there hasn't been any rain for the past few weeks, hence no more major land slippages like the one that closed the road in March.

I'll update this soon.

Cheers

Bill