Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discovery of an envelope full of Victory medals

Graeme Heavey

I'm sorry, what are you suggesting? My post was perfectly legitimate and I don't think at all unreasonable or impolite! I'm merely asking the thread starter for proof of the permission he's already said he has. For the record, I too wish him the best of luck in all legitimate projects he undertakes. But, my proposition stands.

Also, a brief study of Queen's English hasn't helped me decipher the meaning of: 'stoater' and 'erm'.

Andy M

Andy,

I don't think "Fogarrach" was refering to your post above, but someone else's a couple of pages away.

"Stoater" is a scottish expression meaning "a cracker", ie designed to get a response/start a fire in this case.

"erm" in this instance would seem to be implying a bashful admission of being a "saddo".

Matthew

Lee (The Worlds No. 1 Lincs collector)

......erm no thats Baz I think you'll find.......ha ha.

Graeme you shouldnt worry too much I get these kind of messages all the time from people asking if I want to sell items. If they are abusive forward the message to a moderator........however please try not to be over senstive.........bullying the lesser collectors and people who are not in the know is all part of the hobby to some less reputable collectors......Ive come to accept it. Just tell them to ****** off.

Steve.

Lee (The Worlds No. 1 Lincs collector)

......erm no thats Baz I think you'll find.......ha ha.

Graeme you shouldnt worry too much I get these kind of messages all the time from people asking if I want to sell items. If they are abusive forward the message to a moderator........however please try not to be over senstive.........bullying the lesser collectors and people who are not in the know is all part of the hobby to some less reputable collectors......Ive come to accept it. Just tell them to ****** off.

Steve.

Steve

****** off, and while we're at it, give us yer dinner money!!!! :lol:

Lee ;)

Steve

****** off, and while we're at it, give us yer dinner money!!!! :lol:

Lee ;)

Now, now boys....play nicely <_<

RASTER mate, they are named as listed.

Thanks Graeme

I would have thought a quick check of any MIC on the list would confirm if this lot had been returned to the MoD for correction / destruction.

Anyone?

Ta

Marc

westkent78,

thanks for the clarification regarding my post. you're quite right, i wasn't referring to andy's post.

andy,

for the record i found your post - the one that preceded mine - a well written and balanced contribution to the debate. while you may be right that my queen's english is perhaps different from yours i'd gently suggest that reading english properly is as important as writing it properly. when you read my post you'll agree with me that the queen herself would never have read the post as referring to you. perhaps you read in haste, i don't know.

Fellow pals. I will just say this one last time so its crystal. I really cant say WHY the medals were in a box in my office exactly. To be honest again, it would break everyones heart if I did, but suffice to say the 'office' that sent them to us did so because it was deemed a Defence matter. The AMO at Droitwich took the others but left us with the WW1 stuff. I have managed to reunite Stars and some other medals the old fashioned pre-internet way.

I forgot about these remaining 20 odd medals, like you do when you get married and your baby daughter dies at birth, you know that type of thing tends to make you a bit absent minded over the years. It wasnt until I joined this forum that I understood how emotional it was for families who know their ancestor suffered so badly in WW1 and havent got their medals-thats my reason.

Their is no paper trail-the medals were off to be crushed, there I've said it! My boss said take them and do yor best, so did the former head of the Army medal office 'coz I checked with him too.

I dont know what else to say guys and girls.

Oh yeah, the MOD has no access to WW1 MIC's anymore.

It does! but only if it pays £3.50 a time like the rest of us :P

Stedman, as far as I can work out, originally came from Mile End, London - aged 2 in 1901. Not sure of his links with Lincs.