Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discovery of an envelope full of Victory medals

Graeme Heavey

Yes, I suppose the status of these medals due to their errors were that they were destined for the bin. Perhaps similar BWM's were either altered or melted down due to their silver value.

The problem would seem to be that they will be of limited value to any relatives and it would be risky to sell them as they might fall into the hands of people who might be tempted to alter them. Perhaps the bin is the best place for them.

Perhaps the bin is the best place for them.

They can always be "dug" back out of the bin though Ian.

Also...

Are they just the medals themselves or complete with ribbons?

If you need a home for some genuine VM ribbon.................................... :ph34r:

Hmm, interesting thread........

Personally, I applaud Graeme's original intention, but am inclined to wonder now if they were not "returns" as stated. Maybe some research will tell the true story, but I must admnit to doubts, given the lack of firm evidence & documentation.

Maybe they should be erased & offered for sale, with the proceeds going to a charity of the seller's choice.........

Mark

I don't think we need another batch of erased VM's for someone to transmute into those issued to 1.7.16 casualties. That said, I wonder how many other non casualty medals to units such as the ASC are suffering that fate already.

Graeme

Can you please confirm the medals are named as you have listed them.

Thanks.

Dear Pals, I'm sorry that I havent been replying in the last few days. I see some posts are rather heated.

I would like to say I have been very hurt by some of the PM's I have received, threatening me is not a good idea. I thought I was doing an honourable thing as you can see by my previous posts, but a few of you have insulted me and my father and its unacceptable. Just for your information, I am not a medal collector, I personally have nothing against a medal collecting person if its to keep the memories alive, none at all. I do not seek to gain financial advantage from this in any way shape or form.

Something else for you, I was in permanent contact with the Head of the Army Medal Office in Droitwich who fully supported my efforts. I also returned lots of other medals and medal groups to him for storage in case a future family member wanted to ask for them back. Loads of these were from ex-far east servicemen from WW2 who had returned their medals to the Government in protest about Prince Phililip attending Emperor Hirohito's funeral. The good Colonel at Droitwich said he was proud of me to take such care of the memory of our serviceman. In the course of my job I came to speak to him a lot. He had no problem with what I was doing then and I am in the process of contacting him again now because of all this. He retired a few years ago.

So, despite my good intentions, I will be contacting the AFPAA medal office at RAF INNSWORTH today and will be returning the medals via INTERNAL post.

RASTER mate, they are named as listed.

Graeme , you have good cause for being angry.

Trying to return medals to families is a good thing.

I am so sorry that you have been " attacked " for just trying to help.

Do not be too upset as there are forum members who support your actions.

Roland.

Graeme

I'd also be angry if I were you. Don't let it get you too down.

Disagreeing with you is one thing. Personal abuse is another. Remember that here, as in real life, some folk are a**eholes. But they're a small minority. Most folk will applaud your efforts in trying to do the "right thing"

John

Once again the good intentions of a sincere individual are destroyed by a cruel minority who cannot respect that person's wishes. Whoever you are you should be ashamed of yourselves. Forum rules prevent me saying what I really think of you.

Graeme

I'm really sorry that this whole thing has upset you so much & my thanks for trying so hard

All The best

Chris

I cannot believe anyone would fight over 16 victory medals! Three years ago I was buying these for a massive 1.50 each from dealers at Nottingham Arms Fair. Has demand now got so bad that people will accuse other people of theft over a medal that had 8 million issued?

Graeme, do as you like with the medals mate they are yours to dispose of as you wish. If you want to melt them down then so be it.........I wont stop you.............if you did return them to the medal office they will probably forward the medals on to dealers and collectors will get the chance of them anyway. The alternative is they destroy them because families changed their surnames so often in the 20th century that I could be realated to you and never know it.

Steve.

I would like to say I have been very hurt by some of the PM's I have received,

I would guess if the medals were being offered as erased or to erase the PM`s just might be of a different nature.

Roland.

Pals, further to a few posts concerning the names on the medals, I can confirm the following:

67397 Pte E. Whittle RAMC

L-10961 Pte E.S. Riseley Queens Regt

7961 Pte A. Stedman Lincs Regt

837 Pte T.Fitzgibbons R Fus

Apologies but it appears that in my haste not to get caught on the internet at work my hurried typing was at fault!!!

Graeme

Truly unbelievable.

Graeme, I am sorry for any abuse that you may have received from a few individuals who seem hell bent lately on abusing and insulting forum members.

Andy

Truly unbelievable.

Graeme, I am sorry for any abuse that you may have received from a few individuals who seem hell bent lately on abusing and insulting forum members.

I can only echo Andy's comments above Graeme.

I seriously question the mentality of some people on this Forum at times.

That I am disgusted with them is an understatement.

Forward the PM's to Chris or the Mods to see if any action can be taken against those who seek to abuse.

Forward the PM's to Chris or the Mods to see if any action can be taken against those who seek to abuse.

If nothing else can't their forum membership be cancelled and their ISP's blocked?

Personal abuse, for whatever reason, is simply not acceptable and should not be tolerated.

I agree it would be good to stop these attacks on members its one thing light hearted banter and even some teasing these unpleasantries though are a cause for concern. Cut it out! Gareth

Could not agree more Gareth, but sadly to date nothing has been done.

Andy

Not so. You just can't see outward signs.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Just got off the phone from my old boss and the AMO who tell me I'm not a tealeaf!!!

Now lets put it all aside and get on with the job in hand- any relatives out there??

Graeme

Just want to add to the expressions of support & am very sorry to hear you have been the victim of malicious messages.

Cheers

Mark

As I have said before: if you see posts that you believe break forum rules or especially if you receive private messages or emails that come from the forum that do - contact me asap. You can do this by clicking on "report this post" or emailing/PMing me. As I have a day job I can't always respond immediately, but will.

Appropriate action is underway following this thread and has been for the last day or so, based on what can be seen in the thread.

I am unaware of emails or PMs to you on this subject, Graeme. Please forward copies to me.

And..malicious email on the acquisition and disposal of 16 valueless medals? Someone needs to take stock of their life.

Graeme,

I'm sorry to hear that you have been subject to abusive pm's. Once again the small minority goes too far and ruins it for everyone else- did we not learn from the much bigger hoard found a year or so ago and the debacle that created? Rest assured that these individuals don't represent the vast majority of medal collectors.

On a more positive note, you could also try the Western Front Association, as they now have the actual MICs which may have an address on the reverse to get you started, although I'm not sure if they've started cataloguing those yet.

Good luck,

Matthew

Graeme , you have good cause for being angry.

Trying to return medals to families is a good thing.

I am so sorry that you have been " attacked " for just trying to help.

Do not be too upset as there are forum members who support your actions.

Roland.

Well said, Roland - some people just cannot see the good. I would have done the same as yourself if not a collector. I will return medals, if there is an interest and proof, as I have just shown. Fair play to you, mate.

Lee (The Worlds No. 1 Lincs collector :P;) )

I've been watching this thread with interest. Whilst I commend the honest attempt made to return the said medals to family members, I'm still a little uneasy about the whole saga. Bluntly, medals in the Crown's possession should remain there unless claimed directly by the recipient or his/her family. Outsourcing such work - which is what we're really talking about here - is quite fine. However, in such a case there should be a paper trail and a date by which the said medals should be returned to the Crown if the tracing of families is unsuccessful. This should be a transparent process from beginning to end, and should also stand up to scrutiny from a reasonably minded person. I'm sure most legitimate medal collectors would agree with these statements. Whilst I am in no way suggesting a lack of integrity, I would like to know exactly and specifically what other methods the thread starter has used to trace the medal owners or their families? I should also like to see the official documentary evidence (ie Crown permission) supporting this method of return posted on the forum for all to see. I don't think these are unreasonable requests given the controversy that has been created. I also believe the satisfaction of said requests would satisfy those who are uneasy about the whole process.

Regards

Andy M

Graeme, in my view you have acted and continue to act with honour and in good faith.

Whilst I'm not any kind of war veteran I do consider myself to be a bit of chat room veteran (erm saddo?). Has an earlier name and corresponding post in here got all the hallmarks of having been done under a psuedonym? (membership created that day, first post is a stoater). Idle curiousity on my part really and of course I may well be wrong. Plus it hardly matters that an IP search would clear this up.