Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Group called 'No Mans Land'

Lindsey

I just wondered who the group are called 'No Mans land' that featured in the programme 'Finding the Fallen'. Any leads?? Ive never heard of them before. Im just curious as im a big supporter and 'pal' of De Diggers!!

Hello Lindsey,

I am a member of the Group No Man's Land, the only U.S. member I believe. The others are primarily found in England and Belgium and include a wide variety of people with an interest in Great War Archaeology. The group has successfully combined the talents of professional archaeologists, historians with a variety of backgrounds, professional museum people, etc.

As such we can excavate a site in a professional, controlled manner and then use the full expertise to attempt to identify any human remains that might be found. As such we have been successful in identifying three individuals from Serre and Auchy (Hohenzollern Redoubt).

They have been around a number of years, I have only become a member in the last 2. Are you looking for specific details or information? The 2006 season is coming up and I am sure there are a number of projects in the works. I expect more will be posted in the future.

Ralph

Good Morning

As one of the "old hands" of the group what can I tell you?

We don't have a website at the moment.

If anyone is in or near London can I recommend to you the exhibition at the National Army Museum that came out of the "Finding the Fallen" series. The exhibition runs until the end of March but there is a special events weekend February 18th & 19th with talks, gallery tours, music and activities for younger family members.

Ralph, thank you for your input.

Martin

what a fascinating story and insight, cheers Tom !

Guest Simon Bull

I now realise that I have sen one of the group's excavations - I was at Avril's in ?2004? when I saw a group including Andy Robertshaw digging there. Jolly interesting it was too.

An impatient person begging for urgent completion of the Thiepval Project page!!!

Des

Thank you Ralph and Martin and Tom and all who have given me info about the group 'No Mans Land'. I was fascinated by the programmes and went to Serre in May 2005 to see the Kings Own Lancaster burial plot (I live in Lancaster funnily enough)Its good to hear the group is multi national, multi skilled and obviously multi talented!!! I shall be able keep up with their projects, now I know who you are!!! Im just sorry im not nearer to London to see the exhibition. Thank you and keep up the brilliant work!!!.

Lindsey

Thanks all for your kind words.

We do hope to have a Thiepval page up soon and will keep prodding the team leader on that one.

I hope shortly to add notes in respect of work at Otterburn and on Salisbury Plain looking at Practice Trenches.

We do hope to have a Thiepval page up soon and will keep prodding the team leader on that one.

We might have a "work in progress" page to put up, something brief compared to what we should eventually have on the project.

Thanks all for your kind words.

I hope shortly to add notes in respect of work at Otterburn and on Salisbury Plain looking at Practice Trenches.

Martin,

I had a look through your website and was wondering if there are any reports that you have published with regard to these digs (I presume these would be under Publications as opposed to Projects on your web page)?

I am sure they are very detailed and would make fascinating reading. I guess that with professional archaeologists on board that these will have been done? Is there any chance that the general public could see them? There is so much to learn from these and I'd love to browse through them, would be fascinating!

Many thanks

Ralph

Interms of reporting we have submitted reports to the relevant French archaeological authorities but have nothing detailed in English.

Current World Archaeology has printed an article on the dig at Serre and I have something on material culture and human remains from Serre coming out in an IWM/UCL vloume edited by Nick Saunders later this year ("Materialities of Conflict" I think).

In addition we will be publishing in the BAR (British Archaeological Reports) series and have a couple of other things under discussion.

I hope that helps.

A BAR would be a most welcome and much needed publication. I look forward to it!

Are you doing any fieldwork this summer? I feel like I should help in some way - though it's as much as I can do to plough my own furrow at the moment.

Martin

With reference to your comment about interim reports re the Salisbury Plain practice Trenches--- was it your group who produced the programme that was on, probably a year ago, about them?

Lindsey

Further to the Salisbury Plain Practice Camp, I have a letter from my grandfather from the camp describing what they were doing re training, guns etc. I will see if it will attach ( i couldnt, too big) otherwise if its of interest please pm me.

2nd attempt at posting letters worked!! Thanks to instructions i kept from andigger!!! Thankyou, they worked!!

post-662-1139091478.jpg

post-662-1139091636.jpg

As such we have been successful in identifying three individuals from Serre and Auchy (Hohenzollern Redoubt).

Ralph

If you find a short arsed fellow with KOYLI insignia at the junction of west face and big willie, could you leave him just where he is as I am sure he is quite comfortable where he lies :blink:

Andy

If that does happen I will keep your request in mind. Any name to go along with the description?

Ralph

Seriously guys, we don't prospect for bodies but do the best job possible if we do find folk.

Just to point out too that everyone we've excavated was under threat from either ploughing, the A19 route or the landfill operation at Auchy.

Rest assured that we do think about the ethics and theory quite a lot.

Lindsey the letters are excellent. I wil PM you further.

• 6 months later...

Hi Martin !

Do you happen to know if they have found any information yet on the British soldier who had a Jersey coin in his pocket at Seere ?

Annie

Hello Annie,

Martin may have some further updates on the man with the Jersey coin in his pocket but from what I have read recently the search is still ongoing and recently there has been an increase in media interest that could lead to further clues or an identity. Please be assured that every aspect is being explored, every clue followed up on.

The same goes for Leopold Rothärmel, 16th Bavarian RIR found at Loos. We are exploring all avenues on his possible descendants through every means possible. Unfortunately in the case of the King's Own man there are fewer clues to go on.

If a positive ID is ever made I am sure that it will be fully outlined on the forum.

Ralph

NML Member

Sadly Annie I have nothing to add but we have done a media blitz on Jersey recently in the hope of flushing out a relative! Fingers crossed.