Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Group called 'No Mans Land'

Lindsey

Thank you both Ralph and Martin !!

I know there has been a lot of interest in the maybe (?) Jersey soldier ..... !

I've been doing some research too but nothing yet !!

Very good luck in your search !!

Annie :)

• 1 year later...

re the kings own soldier found at serre, i am a relative of one of the missing from the battalion on 1 july 1916, and was there when the body at serre was found, as far as i am aware from people involved with the project, i am the only person to come foward. there is a chance that he is my relative, 3051 pte matthew lowe 1/kings own. my relative was a reservist, so could well have served in the channel islands prior to the war

post-29688-1200007476.jpg

Intersting website that I have visited before, is there any update on the Thiepval document ?

Mick

• 2 months later...

Afternoon All

Sorry, I've not been on for a while. Thank you Matthew for the picture and reminding us that your ancestor may be the may in question.

Pals may be interested to know that the Heidenkopf excavation, including the discussions of the bodies, appears in the current volume of Journal of Conflict Archaeology, published by Brill. It's a joint paper by myself and Alastair Fraser.

• 9 months later...

I have been trying to find out information about No Mans Land, with no luck till now.

I would love to get involved with No Mans Land, as I am about to finish my degree in History, and My disstation is on remembering the First World War, do you guys know of any other way to get intouch with them?

Martin Brown of NML is a member of this forum - try a PM to him.

Matthew,

thank you for sharing the photo with us. I am glad to say that by chance I had the honour of attending the Funeral of the soldier found at Serre, an incredibly moving experience.

May he RIP and Thank you for the Freedom that I enjoy!

Regards,

Scottie.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

I saw the condition of the photo you had, and took the liberty of improving it a bit - it's not perfect, but you can see more of your relative.

Brendan

post-35740-1232482238.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I have been trying to find out information about No Mans Land, with no luck till now.

I would love to get involved with No Mans Land, as I am about to finish my degree in History, and My disstation is on remembering the First World War, do you guys know of any other way to get intouch with them?

Hello All

I've not been around for a few weeks but thanks to Desmond passing on my info Rachel and I have now spoken.

Best

Martin

Matt,

I saw the condition of the photo you had, and took the liberty of improving it a bit - it's not perfect, but you can see more of your relative.

Brendan

only just seen this, thankyou so much! yes a great improvement!

matt

am just starting to write a piece about him for Stand To! and about the possability of the unkown soldier found at Serre being him, not that we'll know now, but still a fascinating story. His service record which survives is increadably interesting, he had 28 days FP number 1 in Feb 1915, arrested in Manchester in nov 1915 for being awol. Lots of letters from his wife when he was reported missing on 1-7-16, and what an effect it had on his wife and 5 children (a 6th child Tom ended up DOW at ypres in 1918) letters from his brother as a Sgt Major likewise asking about his wareabouts ect. Keep an eye out for it, but may be awhile yet before its in print

Matt

Excellent work by Embra on this pic.

also notice that post which had the picture has gone, can admin tell me why?

matt

also have e mailed Martin - well posted him i should say re doing something for no mans land as well

could you let me know lplease whats happening?

thanks

matt